By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Angela Merkel = Hitler II?

sapphi_snake said:

@dib8rman:

1. If you aren't German then this isn't your problem.

So I can't have an opinion about this? Plus Germany is part of the EU, so maybe son they'll try to promote Christianity as the "European religion".

2. They aren't harrassing or killing muslims nor spreading lies about muslims from what was given, how is this equal to hitler?

This isn't onyl about muslims. Here comments are insulting to all non-Christians in Germany, and from what I know Germany isn't a very religious country, so I doubt many Germans appreciate the "we feel tied to Christian values" part of her speach.

3. Hitler kills Christians and Catholic clergy if they stoop up to his misrepresentation of their religion.

Protestants and Catholics also killed eachother due to the differences of their religions.

4. There is nothing wrong with GERMANS saying GET OUT OF OUR COUNTRY if they are saying to someone who refuses to learn their language and understand their culture.

Religion and culture are 2 different things. I agree with the immigrants having to adapt to German culture, but in no way should they have to follow the religious values of Christianity.

1.       1.  I never said anything about your damn opinion and don’t hide your need to show how intelligent you are behind “opinion” it only makes you sound dumb on the internet.

2. The article clearly indicates a Muslim and I didn’t care to address any other section, if I did I would have so don't assume I’ve said something I haven’t.

3.       Yes, Lutherans died for modern Christianity you are correct but I see that your just trying to mislead or anyone  who doesn’t know more on either subject. Either that or you were just trying hard to be right and I’m not going to play your tit for tat game.

4.     4.  Again it’s a GERMAN issue, leave GERMAN issues to the GERMANS if GERMANY decides in some OVERT way to involve their neighbors then it becomes a issue for THOSE neighbors.

Germany may be part of the EU but that only means they must meet legislated EU policy to keep their position, these legislated policies have VERY little to do with my opinion much less your own.

Get over yourself.  

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Completely fair and justified speech i my eyes. And I am Orthodox and an immigrant to Canada.

I've assimilated...no reason why other people who come in to a country can't. You don't have to lose your identity or culture in doing so...

As a decedent of a German Jew, I would have to say this is not remotely the same.

Hitler had the choice of just kicking all the Jews out of Germany, and chose instead to attempt to extinguish them. I hope you don't think those are equally bad.

TheRealMafoo said:

As a decedent of a German Jew, I would have to say this is not remotely the same.

Hitler had the choice of just kicking all the Jews out of Germany, and chose instead to attempt to extinguish them. I hope you don't think those are equally bad.

Sapphi made a huge mistake by drawing a parallel to Hitler with this thread.

This is rather frightening speech from a western leader and should be debated as such. With that said, any allusion to Hitler and Nazi Germany is going to derail a perfectly legitimate argument.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Homer_Simpson said:

so either multiculturalism doesnt work...

OR

Right Wing governments just arent trying hard enough, because if it does work, they have to start being nice to people who dont conform to what they want them to be.

I think you're trying to simplify this into a political problem where the reality is much more complex ...

Different value and belief systems have varying levels of compatibility with other value and belief systems. At the extreme end of this, two value and belief systems can be entirely incompatible and they can not co-exist peacefully within the same society at the same time. While it is certainly not true of all Muslims, many Muslim immigrants have a belief system which could best be described as being several hundred (or possibly up to 1000) years out of date; and they're unwilling to accept modern views because there is no room for "interpretation" of the Qu'aran or Hadiths.

In my opinion, no country has to accept female genital mutilation, honor killings, wife beating, anti-semitism, sharia law, violent attacks against homosexuals, or any undesirable act from immigrants under the notion of "multiculturalism". It is 100% reasonable to say "You will accept our values and follow our laws or you will not be allowed to stay in our country"

A lot of these problems would be avoided if countries had a more diverse immigration policy, and only a small portion of immigrants (overall) came from one particular culture group, because integration would encourage the elimination of undesirable values and beliefs. Unfortunately, many parts of the world are getting the vast majority of their immigrants from a single cultural group, these immigrants are forming ghettos and preserving their culture, and everyone has to deal with problems that haven't existed in western cultures for a long time (if ever).

Around the Network

without reading the whole thread:

This is not about becoming Christians. It is about Christian / western values.You have to see women as equals and accept they have the same rights like you do. That is something muslims have their problems with.

Of course this also counts for gay people or any other minority.

So what Merkel actually says is against discrmination and for an equal society. Now think again if this might be the standard the Nazis tried to achieve.

Reading comprehension FTW!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

without reading the whole thread:

This is not about becoming Christians. It is about Christian / western values.You have to see women as equals and accept they have the same rights like you do. That is something muslims have their problems with.

Of course this also counts for gay people or any other minority.

So what Merkel actually says is against discrmination and for an equal society. Now think again if this might be the standard the Nazis tried to achieve.

Reading comprehension FTW!

At best, Merkel's wording was naive and rather poorly thought out. At worst, her wording was pejorative and demeaning to Islam.

She's not going to win any votes within the Muslim population by telling them they should become more Christian. If she wants to change the culture, explain the necessary changes in an entirely secular fashion. Don't start comparing the religions head to head. That's just stupid and I'd expect better from the leader of a western power.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I wouldn't want inmigrants in my country that criticize me and my culture, I would like inmigrants that share my values, learn my language and integrate so well that my children could marry their children without requiring any conversion of religion or adopting foreign behaviors. Is that so bad?

When it comes to inmigrants, I believe the governments should consider more what would the natural citizens would like than just making the country multicultural just because of it.

I'm not talking that I wouldn't like people from other cultures, religions or races become inmigrants here, I just would like them to integrate so my country wouldn't lose its identity, and I believe that many European countries are losing their identities because of inmigration...

sapphi_snake said:
Barozi said:
sapphi_snake said:

@Barozi:

Freedom of religion, a Christian value? - That's a secular value, not a Chirsitan one.

No forced marriages, a Chrisitan value? - It was practiced by Chrisitans up until a century ago. It's a cultural value, that has nothing to do with religion.

Equality for women, a Chrisitan value? - Islam has that one too. But in both Islam and Chrisitanity women are considered to be "equal" to men, but "different", each having already established roles (a woman's place is in the home, the man is the provider etc.). The "equality" between genders in Chrisitanity is totally different from teh actual equality in modern Western society.

She doesn't want anyone to become Christian with that statement.

Forcing someone to subscribe to the values of a certain religion is no different than forcing them to convert to said religion. Religion is something personal, so individuals can choose to follow the values of a certain religion, however society at large musn't adhere to the moral teachings of any religion, if religious freedom is something that society strives for of course.

Christian values are strongly tied with Western values. There's not much more to say, it's basically a synonym.
We Germans understand that it's the same and we Germans don't give a crap if you want to understand it or not.

As for the last part. Again she doesn't want you to believe in Jesus or such crap she simply states that certain moslem traditions are not welcomed in this country, because they are against the law (mostly human rights).

And I'm unbaptizied and didn't even vote for her party.

If you want to think that, go ahead. It's contrary to reality though.

No its not. You seem to be the one that does not understand that western society was founded on christain values. All of werstern society was. Even in America that would hold true and is often said. Stop being so thick headed and get withthe rest of reality

"When one doesn't speak the language of the country in which one lives that doesn't serve anyone, neither the person concerned, the country, nor the society,"

So true.

but, maybe this is just a jab at middle-easterners.....either way the market will decide what the best course of action is.

The reason why Spanish is set to become America's most spoken language is largely due to the huge amount of workforce being mexican/south american immigrants.

If immigrants were so important to Germany, they would make the concessions, but this looks like its targeted at muslims. Also, I'm wondering how "christian values" are to give rights to homosexuals. People don't see it like that in my country. Those things are contradictory.

Speaking of contradictory:

(Not to be partisan about the issue, but in America, conservatives must be annoyed that the free market (conservative ideology) is empowering free immigration (liberal ideology) and to prevent that, the conservatives have to regulate (liberal ideology) and have bigger government (liberal ideology).