By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Best Selling Gran Turismo 939 37.95%

2nd Best Selling Gran Turismo 494 19.97%

3rd Best Selling Gran Turismo 389 15.72%

4th Best Selling Gran Turismo 116 4.69%

The Worst Selling Gran Turismo 536 21.67%

Total:2,474

@CGI-Quality

Well given the math if it sells at the current rate it would take over 4 years for the game to hit 10 million. Not to mention games significantly slow down in their 2nd years, yes even Gran Turismo does. Plus past GT's didn't have the competition GT5 ha, and had a larger userbase. At four years that would put us at 2015 already well into the next-gen.

Its nice GT still has faithful fans like you but quite honestly I do not see 10 million happening.

Around the Network

there's almost no way it can make it to 10m...

a small step down for the series, not only sales wise but there was too much focus on the graphics, and I felt like physics like crashing and effects were not that good

Forza 3 was better in my opinion

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

CGI-Quality said:

I think you're placing too much emphasis on personal tastes/likes. How is there "almost no way" it can make it when it's already ahead of GT4 (which hit 10 million)? Have you been keeping up with it's weekly sales?

Not to mention GT5:PRologue has sold 5M+.

GT5,as a whole project,has sold around 12M already.

Speaking of GT5:Prologue,it was sitting at 2.11M in it's 42TH week!Now it sits at 4.11M,without counting digital sales(1M+)

GT5 sits at 6.43M in its 38TH week.If it performs anything like Prologue,it's bound to hit not only 10M,but 11M

CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:
No idea why this thread was bumped up but..........

There are still people that think this game is gonna clear 10 million?

There are. There's nothing suggesting that it can't/won't right now (given that it's currently ahead of the last Gran Turismo that cleared 10 million).

I wouldnt say there's NOTHING to say it can clear 10 million- im not saying that it cant be done - Im saying it'll be very hard ! You're right that GT5 edged out last Gen sales of GT in its first weeks, but looking at GT5 prologue sales it was 'similar' in first weeks - it had strong sales as well - but dropped more dramatically then past generations GT's sales in the coming months.. (  Actually GT5 PROLOGUE SOLD BETTER then GT 5 considering in 2007 the userbase of PS3 was smaller - which brings up my part of my point ).... In Gt5 the hardcore fans of the game (again) showed up.. but one thing has changed DRAMATICALLY since last generation - and that IS THE SIZE OF THIS GENERATIONS USERBASE..Left over sales are now trending on whats left in casual gamers...Looking at past GT's that performed well ( which were on PS2 ) - Games on the PS2 were some of the only games on ANY console that were able to DOUBLE their sales AFTER THE 10 week mark ! And Gt4 is no exception. Why ? The PS2 was #1 - IT HAD AN ENORMOUS USERBASE ( 100+ million at the time of GT4's launch -- Larger then the Wii now, but to be fair its harder now to have a HUGE userbase- because M$ has established itself this generation and controls North America and ( between only the PS3 and Xbox 360 ) has  40+% market share in Europe ) ...So, looking back GT4 sold alittle over 5 million ( in its first 10 weeks - back in its 2005 release date) ... BUT IT DID IT ON A CONSOLE THAT ALREADY HAD A USERBASE of NEAR 100 MILLION (  PS2's lifetime is around 150 million )... SO when looking at sales trends everyone needs to consider the PS2 HAD DOUBLE THE CONSOLES in the WORLD that the PS3 had when Gran turismo 4 launched.... If you think about it logically, selling 10 million of ANY game on a console that has 100 million users,  is less a feat then it is now for the PS3 ( or Xbox 360 ) to do the same because they have  HALF the userbase of the PS2 .. ( Example.. GT 4 selling 10.6 million lifetime is only about 8% of the PS2 total sales.. Converse to that: COD selling 10.4 million on the PS3 is an astounding 20% of thats console userbase ! )  It seems hardcore fans buy mostly during the first weeks  - so trends are similar the first 10 weeks on many consoles & popular games.. BUT... After that sales are influenced by the number of  casual buyers ( moms & dads buying Christmas gifts ) .... So, yeah, G4 and GT5 ( and many GT's ) appear to trend the same the first 10 weeks.. the hardcore fans of those games are still buying those games in the initial 10 weeks.. but after that the userbase of the PS3 has ONLY HALF of what the PS2.. Yet Loyal fans are expecting lifetime sales to be the same or better ? It wont happen..

Looking at current ( not past ) GT sales trend..  GT 5 sold 5.7 million in its first 10 weeks ( its release was Nov 2010 ).. its 10 months later and GT5 is at 6.4 million.. so its sold around 700 thousand copies in 10 months.. ( Above I posted GT 4 selling 10.6 million was only 8% of PS2's userbase.. thus we assume only a certain percent of users like that genre.. which bring up another issue.. because ONLINE play on the PS3 has changed gaming on that console.. more people play FPS's then on the PS2 ! )...

My prediction is because the PS3 has a 50 million user deficit under the PS2 - from when GT4 was released  and because with online gaming more kids are playing First Person Shooters then they were racing games in the PS2... GT 5 will sell maybe another 2  ... less likely but possibly  3 million TOPS over its lifetime ( thus maybe barely being under -or- barely overtaking the #4 spot - on the list of ALL Time Best Seling GT games ) by which time GT 6 will be released and GT5 sales will stagnate.. Which means the game currently at #5 spot ... will most likely never be anything but the #4, if its able to do that.. with this small userbase.. and with the genre shift to FPS's.. it will be hard.. GT6 will have a better chance because the userbase will be bigger ( unless its held to PS4 ) .. Back in GT4's days FPS's were not that popular - compared to now the #1 Genre ..... FPS's were only popular only on Xbox back in the PS2 das because MS was ahead in online gameing  ... XB LIVE already existed back in 2002 and they had Halo...with that reason and PSN  theres been such a dramatic shift to First Person Shooters.. FPS's are not the same as they were.. now you put your skills against other kids - back then on PS2 it was strictly all Aritificial Intelligence..

Its at 9 million right? So still another million to go? It might do it, maybe not.

Either way Im damn impressed its reached this high especially since NA seems to be caring less about Sim racers thisgen.

Also the game is currently bundled which is certainly helping push it to 10 million

Around the Network

I love reading peoples low sale estimates and their reasoning years later.

Putting the word fail in the same sentence as gran turismo just seems like an oxy-moron.

CGI-Quality said:
pezus said:
rf40928 said:
CGI-Quality said:

It seems this thread was bumped for no substantial reason. For GT5 to be one the worst selling games in the franchise, it has to have stopped selling. Since it's just getting a Platinum Hits in several European countries and is still full price in most of America, it is far from that point (not to mention a 2nd holiday on the heels of the PS3's recent price cut).

Let's be realistic.

Again im not expert, but game sales of any game slow significantly near the 1 year mark.. looking at trends here at Vgchartz for either game shows any significant sales happened in the first 10 weeks of any game.. most games are lucky to sell 500-750k copies during the entire 2nd year worldwide since copies sold are bought by casual gamers and parents looking for bargain prices..

Not this game...do people ever learn?

You just had to ressurect this, didn't you?

Although I admit, looking at the low-balled expectations from a good few offers up some entertainment. 10 million was always in the bag, as myself, ioi, and many others predicted. Some just need to see it for themselves.....I suppose.

I don't know... I think the funniest thing in the thread is the people who were buying into the "7 million launch shipment" number.

I mean... my god.

I'm guessing the 9 mil number includes downloads?

Kasz216 said:

GT5 was launched just in retail... no digital version.

ethomaz said:

Kasz216 said:

GT5 was launched just in retail... no digital version.

In that case it wouldn't really be 9 million...

They barely shipped 9 million.   9.010 Million according to their latest numbers.

So where Pezus would get 9.19 Mil... i have no idea.

Even assuming Vgchartz has it undertracked (seems likely) it seems unlikely it would be by that much.

8.5-8.7 seems more likely.

Gran Turismo being a pretty "evergreen" title you would expect stock levels to be fairly high, espiecally leading up to Christmas as distribution channels will be full of the big new X-mas releases... espiecally the Wii U related stuff.

So you gotta get your older evergreen stuff sooner.

So yeah... I'd say CGI is right on the money.