By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Best Selling Gran Turismo 939 37.95%

2nd Best Selling Gran Turismo 494 19.97%

3rd Best Selling Gran Turismo 389 15.72%

4th Best Selling Gran Turismo 116 4.69%

The Worst Selling Gran Turismo 536 21.67%

Total:2,474
Hus said:

lol userbase mainstream bundles

What nutty ness will peeps come up to hide their foolishness behind.

It's called discourse.  Look it and them come back to the thread when you think you can actually contribute something.

Around the Network
Pyramid12 said:
marc said:

Without a big bundled deal it will not get anywhere near 8m. Another thing most people dont consider is Forza stole some market share permanently due to differences in gameplay. In the ps2 days there really was no competition given the ps2's dominance. This gen is very different. I also know a lot of people who didnt like prologue so I am not sure if that release helped or hurt them.

LOL!!!!! keep saying that so when GT5 does 10m I will be rubbing it in your faces 24/7.

Forza can't even outsell GT5p seriously.

Well we don't know that. Isn't Forza 2 also available for digital distribution? All we can say is Forza 2 just outsold GT5P hard copies.

However what you underlined is true, It did steel some market share, Forza games are now above NFS and second only to GT, but they are still second to GT.

8 million is entirely possible when GT5P does 5 million.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

NYANKS said:
CGI-Quality said:
Pyramid12 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Pyramid12 said:

So after todays adjustments Haters still havn't learned?

6m really?? LOL!!!! then you guys disapear when its time to take your crows?

In fairness, that prediction was posted just before the adjustments. Doesn't change the fact that I disagreed with it then and, of course, disagree with it now. Just sayin'

Its the same trend ppl just can't stop hating....

now look @ the PSmove will flop ppl, where are they? no where to be found.

same thing is gonna happen with GT5.

I believe it. It happened with HEAVY RAIN, God of War III, Uncharted 2, Move and yes, soon to be GT5.

PS3 has really shattered much of it's doubt as of late, and it looks to only continue.

I think it's tough for people to shake off first impressions.  Some people just can't fathom a third place console with such a bad start doing so well.  This is Sony's premier game.  It won't be the best selling, but it will sell well.  B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I agree with your logic, I expect GT5 to do well. 10 million is the GT average (GT3, was an exception, and if ask I can explain my beleif for why it did so well), but I think 10 million sales for a PS3 game will be difficult, since the console itself will only sell lifetime 70 million (or so, it could do better or worse, but it will be far from PS1/PS2 levels).

I mean God of War 3, and MGS4 only managed to sell as well as the more poorly selling GoW and MGS titles of the past.

That would still put GT5 around 9.5 million, which is definatly possible. I beleive 8.5 million (which is still great!), but I entirely see it being possible to sell 10 or 11 million units. Anything above 11 million would shock me, as that approaches yearly sales of the PS3 itself.

As for silly fanboys.. I dunno how people honestly beleive 6 million or less.... GT5P is at 5 million, do they expect GT5 not to sell at least 20% better? Some people think worse, and I just think :O!

P.S. Move shocked me, Sports Champions is selling about as well as I expected (maybe a bit worse then I expected), but the hardware boost Move cause was a lot more then I thought. I mean it's near PS3 Slim levels, and that came with a price cut.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Hus said:
bannedagain said:

I think 6-8 million, 8 being the most. I just think people have moved on, all the delays have done nothing but kill the hype train.

did you even think before posting that joke.

6-8m will be Europe alone. 

Did you even think before posting that?

Past GT EMEAA Sales

• GT4 - 6.49 million
  • GT3 - 5.86 million
  • GT - 4.31 million
  • GT2 - 3.70 million
  • GT5P - 2.20 million
  • A more realistic EMEAA Range looks like 3-6 million, and EMEAA is more then just Europe. 6-8 million is thus not entirely unreasonable, and a valid opinion.

Michael-5 said:
    Hus said:
    bannedagain said:

I think 6-8 million, 8 being the most. I just think people have moved on, all the delays have done nothing but kill the hype train.

Past GT EMEAA Sales

• GT4 - 6.49 million
  • GT3 - 5.86 million
  • GT - 4.31 million
  • GT2 - 3.70 million
  • GT5P - 2.20 million
  • A more realistic EMEAA Range looks like 3-6 million, and EMEAA is more then just Europe. 6-8 million is thus not entirely unreasonable, and a valid opinion.

LMFAO 3m

GT5 will easily do 3m this year in E alone if its given a couple weeks of release before xmas. 

I just dont get whats so hard to understand, GT is to Europe as HAlo is to NA . 

Around the Network
    Michael-5 said:
    Hus said:
    bannedagain said:

Past GT EMEAA Sales

• GT4 - 6.49 million
  • GT3 - 5.86 million
  • GT - 4.31 million
  • GT2 - 3.70 million
  • GT5P - 2.20 million

GT5 will never sell 3M in EMEAA, even under 5/6M is unlikely, so 6-8M is reasonable. I don't know where you're living but you can't imagine the hype around GT5 in Europe, every single website that's about cars talks about GT5.

And what I see in the figures is that overall the serie is only growing, GT2 is the exception.

Basically GT5 is gonna be : 6-8M EMEAA, 3/4M NA, 1/2M Japan, 10M the low end, 14M the high end. My prediction is 12.5m.

Ps. lulz for putting GT5P in the figures... I think you'll understand why. u_u

Hus said:
    Michael-5 said:
    Hus said:
    bannedagain said:

Past GT EMEAA Sales

• GT4 - 6.49 million
  • GT3 - 5.86 million
  • GT - 4.31 million
  • GT2 - 3.70 million
  • GT5P - 2.20 million

LMFAO 3m

GT5 will easily do 3m this year in E alone if its given a couple weeks of release before xmas. 

I just dont get whats so hard to understand, GT is to Europe as HAlo is to NA . 

No GT ever has sold 3 million in EMEAA in a few weeks. GT sales take a long time to accumulate. 3 mllion is a bottom barrier, still about 35% greater then GT5P, so it's a good bottom bracket. It's also not that much below GT2, so very possible.

GT does have EMEAA, I don't argue that, but you claimed GT5 will easily do 6-8 million in Europe (not EMEAA), something no GT game has done before, and you also claimed 3 million in Europe (again not EMEAA) in the few weeks left in the year, again something no GT game has done before.

6-8 million is almost impossible for Europe alone for GT, especially since UK (the biggest game purchasing country in Europe) is 360 biased.

I'm only telling you that your predictions are very strong, and you shouldn't laugh at, or be critical of people who have lower predictions then you. Assuming GT5 will be the best selling GT does not make it so (and your predictions seem like they assume that). It's more plausible for GT to be the 2nd-worst selling GT game, and talking about EMEAA sales, 3-6million is the range of older GT games, why assume GT5 will do better? It can, but don't assume..

4k1x3r said:
    Michael-5 said:
    Hus said:
    bannedagain said:

Past GT EMEAA Sales

• GT4 - 6.49 million
  • GT3 - 5.86 million
  • GT - 4.31 million
  • GT2 - 3.70 million
  • GT5P - 2.20 million

GT5 will never sell 3M in EMEAA, even under 5/6M is unlikely, so 6-8M is reasonable. I don't know where you're living but you can't imagine the hype around GT5 in Europe, every single website that's about cars talks about GT5.

And what I see in the figures is that overall the serie is only growing, GT2 is the exception.

Basically GT5 is gonna be : 6-8M EMEAA, 3/4M NA, 1/2M Japan, 10M the low end, 14M the high end. My prediction is 12.5m.

Ps. lulz for putting GT5P in the figures... I think you'll understand why. u_u

6-8 is possible, but I don't think you can assume it. I watch a lot of Top Gear so I know the hype, but Fifth Gear had a special GT4 episode where Vicky essentially went and played the game before it was released. Jeremy Clarkson also had a segment where you cant match game times to real life tracks times (in a Blue NSX on that Mazda Circuit). For GT5, all he has done is referenced the game once on the show, and there is no Top Gear until 2011, so even if it's on the show next season, it's a bit late.

GT4 got more hype the GT5 (from what I've seen), and Top Gear does hype Forza a bit too now to be fair.

As for the series growing? Pay attention to sales. GT3 was a lone exception, it sold over 7 million copies in Americas where no other GT game has sold over 4 million units in Americas. Even then GT1 is the second most popular GT Game, so how exactly is the series growing? GT4P also sold more units in Japan in 1 year then GT5P did in 2 (GT4P was essentially a Japanese exclusive, it was released in some European countries a month before GT4, so you should ignore EMEAA sales for GT4P).

As for your figures, Americas I 100% agree, Japan I agree, but it could sell 2.5 million there, but EMEAA I just don't understand why you assume such higher numbers. the best selling GT in EMEAA was GT4, which did get 6.5 million, but I'm a little shocked you think 8 million is reasonable. 1 in 3 PS3 owners would have to get the game if that were true, I just don't see that happening.

Still your overall range seems reasonable, a tad high in my opinion, but this is your opinion. I mean there are just so many potential affecting factors, no one can be certain of anything. Personally I'm only critical of sub 6 million, and plus 12 million predictions, but only time will tell.

P.S. I added GT5P just to show how it did compared to proper GT games. We know GT5 will do better.

marc said:

Without a big bundled deal it will not get anywhere near 8m. Another thing most people dont consider is Forza stole some market share permanently due to differences in gameplay. In the ps2 days there really was no competition given the ps2's dominance. This gen is very different. I also know a lot of people who didnt like prologue so I am not sure if that release helped or hurt them.

It's not always that simple. Forza series could just as easily increase GT5 sales.  Forza and GT has  cause some people to get in more hardcore racing sims like Iracing. A lot of hardcore sim racers started out racing on some kind of console sim like Forza and GT series. 

In another words sometimes a successful game in a genre will increase the sales of another software in the same genre. This is why i think Sony really does like 3DS to be successful in 3D so it cause more gamers to be more interested in their 3D HDTV.

I know for me playing FM 3 made me want GT5 even more.

I genuinly am concerned about it because the PS3 isnt the PS2, will people still be interested in GT5, or will some people have moved onto thinkgs like Forza, or Project Gotham Racing - 5 years is a long time, theres no way to tell if the game still has the traction it used to - especially since no PS3 game, including MW2 has sold 10mil.