By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dota 2 announced for PC and Mac, coming 2011, brings huge innovations

*low whistle*

Very neat! I really enjoyed the original on WarCraft (still play it from time to time... Skeleton King is one of my favorites!).

I'll be keeping an eye on this. ^_^

Around the Network

I still can't get my head around Valve owning the rights to DOTA.

Another "waste of time" game from valve... Half Life 3 won't make itself.

I wonder if it will require a price to be payed and afterward you get access to all the content, or it will be like LoL and you can earn various things by either using points earned in-game or real life money,

They stated they wish to bring all the characters from Dota to Dota 2, I would suggest they first introduce about 30 of them and them bring the others on board through updates.

I would like to mention that I believe Blizzard dropped the ball when Dota and Tower Defense were becoming hits as mods and they did virtually nothing to try and cash in by buying the right and making their own games.

Machina said:

Too much text. I'll wait for someone to summarise the 'huge innovations' ^^

It will retain the gameplay of Dota, and heroes; bots will take over when somebody leaves a match; it will have voice chat; there will be bonuses for participating in the community, writing guides, mentoring other players, these are just examples, what exactly the bonuses will be was not revealed; it will have improved graphics; will release in 2011, since this Valve we are talking about, don't bet on it. And that's about it. although I'm sure there are other things they have not revealed.

Edit: oh yes, it will use the Source Engine. There will also be improvements to graphics and audio.

And improvements will be mostly on community aspects, the coaching and interactive guides.

Around the Network
Machina said:

Too much text. I'll wait for someone to summarise the 'huge innovations' ^^

Pffft.

The game allows the community to interact even further with the game by doing things outside of the game. If you create guides, help people on the forums, take part in healthy discussions, you will be rewarded in game. There is also a coaching mechanism, so players who are "coaches", can watch over another players game, and tell them what to do and be aware of. Being a good coach will also reward you in game.

We don't have a lot of details on this, but it becomes a whole new way of interacting with the game through being active in the community, which should help create a healthy and positive community. Valve are building the tools for these mechanisms into the Steamworks package so other developers can utilize them too.

dobby985 said:

Most dota related games have horrible communities. This game better not be free.

Yep, Heroes of Newerth in particular is renowned for having an utterly dreadful player base.

are only me and shio excited for this game??? gosh console gamers, you will be missing out!!! thank god im getting a new laptop, im sooooooooooooooo excited, i still play dota every day, i wonder what its price will be.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

disolitude said:

Another "waste of time" game from valve... Half Life 3 won't make itself.

waste of time? the game is going to be amazing its dote, and im sure it will get them buckloads of sales. smartest move this gen *claps*

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

i'm intrested in how the game will look, how it will look with the source engine, but that's about it.

I've played LoL and DotA for so long, just looking at videos from those games make me sick.