By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to STOP reporting monthly hardware sales (Starting right NOW) :(

I'd really like someone at NeoGaf to prove how inaccuarate this site's numbers are. The way people are posting in that thread, you'd think we're off by a million units every week until we adjust our numbers to fit NPD (which they treat as infalliable over there).

Around the Network

this isn't good news for anyone in the community. its to some companies interests that users don't know exact/specific sales data. its just more information blinded to the public.

npd going private isn't going to give vgchartz any more "legitimacy" than it already has. the site is what it is. its a fan/enthusiast video game sales site. i enjoy this site; its been fairly on target but the numbers are estimates; they have never been exact. sometimes they've been way off.

if anything this harms vgchartz. now its the sole estimate/publisher of numbers and in the end no one really has anything to check against to see how close/near or intact the numbers are. it'll end up causing a lot of trouble for whatever discussion the site has regarding sales. fan boys and trolls can just run that more wild and cause the discussion to become pointless to participate in. whos really to say what numbers are wrong or right? especially when it comes to software which will be harder to track. being off thousands of units IS a big deal. numbers go on in time and you end up getting very wrong results.

if this stays, you'll see even more discussion of vgchartz within the community and that you cant trust or use it as a sole source. thats not a conversation that helps this site.

teknohick said:

this isn't good news for anyone in the community. its to some companies interests that users don't know exact/specific sales data. its just more information blinded to the public.

npd going private isn't going to give vgchartz any more "legitimacy" than it already has. the site is what it is. its a fan/enthusiast video game sales site. i enjoy this site; its been fairly on target but the numbers are estimates; they have never been exact. sometimes they've been way off.

if anything this harms vgchartz. now its the sole estimate/publisher of numbers and in the end no one really has anything to check against to see how close/near or intact the numbers are. it'll end up causing a lot of trouble for whatever discussion the site has regarding sales. fan boys and trolls can just run that more wild and cause the discussion to become pointless to participate in. whos really to say what numbers are wrong or right? especially when it comes to software which will be harder to track. being off thousands of units IS a big deal. numbers go on in time and you end up getting very wrong results.

if this stays, you'll see even more discussion of vgchartz within the community and that you cant trust or use it as a sole source. thats not a conversation that helps this site.

Every site has had their share of offs, many that I'd consider way off too. This site hasn't even been using NPD for a little while now. And I'm pretty certain there are other tracking companies to check the numbers up against. NPD is just the most well-known one.

teknohick said:

Brett already has moved from checking his numbers against NPD to checking his numbers against quarterly financial reports. This own't actually affect our numbers in a meaningful way.

I hope Greenberg will say the numbers

Around the Network
carlosmp said:

I hope Greenberg will say the numbers

I wonder if theyre allowed to say "we outsold the PS3 2:1" probably not .. but would give indication as to how they did if they don't want to reveal their numbers.

the issue is mostly software. not many publishers are open about numbers for games. they give ranges if they give anything. they talk about  a few large titles for the year. while npd gave little, it did provide a glimpse of the games launch size.

you also have to wonder how uninformative other companies within the industry may get now. if you dont have a large numbers platform putting your product and its sales out there every month... why should i (or would i) talk about my game being a flop? or being marginally sucessfull.

sales isnt something many american (or euro) video game companies like or will talk about as it is. many of the japanese publishers have been the most open when it comes to disclosing and discussing sales. they have a large platform of companies that collect and make that info public though. american and euro publishers have been increasingly differnt. they dont want a game to be judged by if it sells or not. "if its dead at launch its dead period". it effects the coverage and the way the press talk about the game.

npd still providing a generic no number top 10 speaks to this. it awards big sellers with exposer while not harming anyone.

Maybe someone like Wiki leaks will leak them ;)

I think it is rather pointless move really. Every month NPD got free advertising when they were mentioned. Now nowbody will give a shit about them at all.

shocker....that is all

M.U.G.E.N said:

We must be having a party here now? :S should we party?

Because you are a cat

If you were a dog everyone would be at your party!

lol I'm sorry for being captain obvious here!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey