By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania: LoS is THE best looking multiplat Game

I don't know about Castlevania and I haven't started Enslaved yet (great Collector's Edition btw), but currently Prince of Persia (2008) is the best looking multiplat game for me.

Around the Network

@Disolitude, you are getting extremely redundant with your view on graphics.  I already illustrated how your ridiculous view would mean that games like Shadow Complex, Sonic 4 or Shank could never be considered as good looking games since... you don't control a camera.  ¬_¬

Your camera excuse for dismissing the quality of some games' graphics is ludicrous at best. 

Castlevania is a really good looking game.  Certainly up there, right behind the best of the best on console, at least in the third person action adventure genre (God of War 3 and Uncharted 2).  Camera control or not, this doesn't make the damn intricacies and details in the graphics go away.  Making what you see actually look good. The only thing holding it back from the top of the top is the fact that they didn't get to lock the framerate at a steady 30fps.  Just like Enslaved is getting near the top of the top too, but is held back by some poor texture work, screen tearing, and lots of pop-ins.

The tech used in both games is different, and so is the approach to game design.  But both are mostly on-rail experiences, and one is certainly not as detailed as the other one, camera "cheat"(seriously, wtf?) or not.  Lighting in Castlevania is much better than in Enslaved and so is the texture work.   This makes the picture look much more detailed.  Even if Enslaved takes the flashy approach that the Uncharted series uses (a game series that it unashamedly copies on almost every single game design ideas and execution) by over-saturating the colors, giving this vivid look that most people (myself included) appreciate.

Finally, by the description you gave, Disolitude, you seem to have only done the demo of both games and nothing else (of course, your description of what you did un Enslaved particularly makes me think that's the case), and jumped on the occasion yet again to come bashing at Castlevania's visuals.  Spitting the same redundant lame "camera control cheating excuses.  Before talking about something, I would highly suggest that you know a bit more about what you're talking about first.

disolitude said:
Ultr said:
disolitude said:

Im so tired of these posts about casltevania being the "best loking game...".

The game has a static camera, and by doing so feels limiting, dated and borderline frustrating due to camera sucking ass in some moments. The cost at making this game good looking was too great and really wasn't worth it... Taking that visual movement freedom away from the gamer in 2010 is criminal and knocks it down visually in my eyes.

Not to mention that gameplay is completely dwarfed and plays second fiddle to its presentation and voice acting. Thats a blasphemy for castlevania games.  I played around 4 hours of it and then returned it to blockbuster for Enslaved with is much better.

Hope it fails badly and that they never try making a serious, story based castlevania with second rate gameplay.

Also, where the F*** are the heavy metal inspired tunes? Nothing I like about castlevania series and 10 games I played fromt hat universe is present here.

Enslaved??? seriously?  I loved the videos, I loved the characters, and I wanted to love the game but its just damn boring!! What is that? can I even call that gameplay? blinking object ? extreme tearing, popup graphics, camera? sheesh... I would change it everytime for castlevania...!

I'll be honest, I didn't get very far in Enslaved yet. I've just crashed with the chick controlling me with her stupud helmet... but I don't see any issues with the game so far. While it may become boring later, it seems entertaining and starts off on a high note, unlike Castlevania which tests your patience from an hour at least.

Visually there is no comparison in my opinion. One lets you control the camera and one doesn't...thats a huge visual plus.

Castlevania may as well use pre-rendered backgrounds ala old Resident Evil games as its completely static and on rails.

So I'm assuming you believe God of War III doesn't have very good graphics because you can't control the camera?

disolitude said:
tuscaniman said:

So you are comparing 15 minutes of Enslaved gameplay to 1 hour of Castlevania gameplay? From here on out all your opinions are void. You've only played demo length for Enslaved, which I played, and it was pretty damn boring if you ask me.

We're comparing visuals here and according to your opinion, I'm sure that both enslaved and castlevania have 10X better visuals 6 hours in. Please...One can compare art and visual style as well as technical aspects of the visuals within 5 minutes of playing them. Knowing that castlevania looks this good when not in motion, only because they've decided to freeze the camera puts it below Enslaved on a technical level immediatly.

Besides, I said the first hour of castlevania only beause the first hour is beyond tedious. I'm on chapter 3 right now and it doesn't get much better.

You want a 3D current gen castelvania game? Play Demons Souls...

Yeah, because camera control is the only thing important in graphics.  The amount of shaders used, or the strenght of the lighting engine, among other things are not to be taken into account.

Take Enslaved, and make it a shader heavy game like Castlevania, and that "free camera" game becomes a stuttering fest.

Hynad said:

@Disolitude, you are getting extremely redundant with your view on graphics.  I already illustrated how your ridiculous view would mean that games like Shadow Complex, Sonic 4 or Shank could never be considered as good looking games since... you don't control a camera.  ¬_¬

Your camera excuse for dismissing the quality of some games' graphics is ludicrous at best. 

Castlevania is a really good looking game.  Certainly up there, right behing the best of the best on console, at least in the third person action adventure genre (God of War 3 and Uncharted 2).  Camera control or not, this doesn't make the damn intricacies and details in the graphics go away.  Making what you see actually look good. The only thing holding it back from the top of the top is the fact that they didn't get to lock the framerate at a steady 30fps.  Just like Enslaved is getting near the top of the top too, but is held back by some poor texture work, screen tearing, and lots of pop-ins.

The tech used in both games is different, and so is the approach to game design.  But both are mostly on-rail experiences, and one is certainly not as detailed as the other one, camera "cheat"(seriously, wtf?) or not.  Lighting in Castlevania is much better than in Enslaved and so is the texture work.   This makes the picture look much more detailed.  Even if Enslaved takes the flashy approach that the Uncharted series uses (a game series that it unashamedly copies on almost every single game design ideas and execution) by over-saturating the colors, giving this vivid look that most people (myself included) appreciate.

Finally, by the description you gave, Disolitude, you seem to have only done the demo of both games and nothing else (of course, your description of what you did un Enslaved particularly makes me think that's the case), and jumped on the occasion yet again to come bashing at Castlevania's visuals.  Spitting the same redundant lame "camera control cheating excuses.  Before talking about something, I would highly suggest that you know a bit more about what you're talking about first.

You didn't illustrate anything in the previous thread.

Shank, sonic and Shadow complex are not visual powerhouse games by any means. They have better gameplay than Lords of Shadow and they do not have gameplay where elements and attack you from 360 degree angles but where camera only lets you see 1 point of view. I don't know about you but to me that is quite dated approach to 3D visuals and gameplay involvement for a full blown hack and slash game. It leads to frustration for camera not letting you see an enemy which isn't in the field of vision, and it also leads to lack of being able to explore the scenery visually. You guys are just looking at polygons and AA you see on static images and are claiming "amazing!!!"...I'm looking at the whole game in motion. It isn't very visually stimulating as the combat is static and scenery is on rails.

You must have thought Myst was the best looking game ever when it came out for many years. Sure, all it was a point and click static background game...but it was preeety.

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:

So I'm assuming you believe God of War III doesn't have very good graphics because you can't control the camera?

I wouldn't put it on the top shelf of games when it comes to visuals(unchartd 2 is better and plays much better)...but that first 30 minutes of the game is quite explosive and visually stimulating. Better than anything found in castlevania... But thts really irelevant...gameplay wise, both games bore me. I can sum up god of war/castlevania combat gameplay in 2 statements.

1. button mashing on various enemies and bosses (gets boring in 30 minutes)

2. playing DDR with buttons while finishing bigger enemies. (gets boring before it starts...QTE really need to stop)

This is how I play my games btw...I am quite a graphics "whore" but gameplay is second to none.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_m4ygvA6-tB0/TKvuVbKfzRI/AAAAAAAAARc/aA9E4yy61f8/s720/IMG_7045 x.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_m4ygvA6-tB0/TKvvsybpPoI/AAAAAAAAAR8/GQo6OAAWd5I/s720/IMG_7052x.JPG

@Disolitude: We talk about graphics, you then say the camera is affecting the gameplay as a counterpoint to justify your lack of insight?  That has nothing to do with how the graphics looks, and what kind of tech is backing them up.  You're already grasping at straws.

Edit: LMAO, what does your game setup have to do with anything discussed here.  You want attention, eh?  Here, that's today's newspaper roll... 

*Throws*

Hynad said:

We talk about graphics, you then say the camera is affecting the gameplay as a counterpoint to justify your lack of insight?  That has nothing to do with how the graphics looks, and what kind of tech is backing them up.  You're already grasping at straws.

Not even close. You are talking about amount of AA, polygon models and other technical nonsence.

I am talking about how design decisions influence gameplay and visuals.

3D combat static camera = not visually stimulating period. 

The screen just sits there while shit happens...I don't find that appealing to look at.

disolitude said:
Hynad said:

We talk about graphics, you then say the camera is affecting the gameplay as a counterpoint to justify your lack of insight?  That has nothing to do with how the graphics looks, and what kind of tech is backing them up.  You're already grasping at straws.

Not even close. You are talking about amount of AA, polygon models and other technical nonsence.

The screen just sits there while shit happens...I don't find that appealing to look at.

I'm certainly not talking about the amount of AA, as none of those 2 games (Castlevania and Enslaved) has any. ^_-

Hynad said:
disolitude said:
Hynad said:

I'm certainly not talking about the amount of AA, as none of those 2 games (Castlevania and Enslaved) has any. ^_-

lol...touche.

Some people posting above you were talking about that stuff.

I agree that castlevania is pretty and some of the scenery is very impressive. I just can't get over the limits imposed by the presentation. I'd like to explore the screnery and look around, spin the camera while I fight bosses...but I can't.