By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Square killed the Final Fantasy franchise??

It's all up to Versus, it's the one and only FFXIII game I've been hyped for the most this gen, even before FFXIII released.

Around the Network

it sickens me that they have taken away everything i liked about FF in the current games.

to mention a few of the things left out that i miss:

the proper ATB system seen from FF4-FF9

Random Battles

engaging Story (last one to have a story worthy of FF was FFX)

moogles(real moogles that look like the classic moogles)

this is all an expression of my opinions and should not be taken as facts.

darthdevidem01 said:

No because:

- FFXIII will be the most successfull FF in Europe since FF7

- FFXIII will be the 3rd best selling FF title in america

- FFXIII was recently voted the 3rd best game of all time in Famitsu by readers....so there's many people that see it so high, let alone people who may merely "like" it

So sorry to burst your bubble but they haven't killed Final Fantasy.

Maybe in Japan where the series is in a spiral of declining sales, not in the West though where the series increased in popularity with XIII

XIV doesn't count cus its a MMO.

Another funny thing is we had this thread on weird forums when FF8 came out (I consider FF8 lucky the internet gaming forums weren't so big when it released)....then we had it again with FF10-2....again with FF12....again FF13......now with FF14.

And it still lives, I wonder why.

Clearly fans whining on the internet are in the minority.

The series should continue, we just has the excellent Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII is next and Dissidia 012 looks amazing. And of course Agito XIII which seems to be combining the best of old skool FF and new FF's.

Gee, or we measure the quality of titles we play by something other than legacy/namebrand appeal, an obscenely budgeted marketing campaign, and the opinions of other people who don't share the same tastes as us. 

Popularity does not in any way equal quality.

And the fact that you discount XIV because "it's an MMO" is honestly one of the most profoundly inane things I've read in a while, especially considering you go on to include spin-offs (Versus XIII, Dissidia) which don't have anything close to "traditional" FF gameplay and structure. 

Final Fantasy is a marketing force and the games have big budgets with usually misguided creative direction. They're okay, but not that great these days. They used to be awesome. That's about it. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

darthdevidem01 said:

No because:

- FFXIII was recently voted the 3rd best game of all time in Famitsu by readers....so there's many people that see it so high, let alone people who may merely "like" it

Maybe in Japan where the series is in a spiral of declining sales, not in the West though where the series increased in popularity with XIII

Another funny thing is we had this thread on weird forums when FF8 came out (I consider FF8 lucky the internet gaming forums weren't so big when it released)....then we had it again with FF10-2....again with FF12....again FF13......now with FF14.

The series should continue, we just has the excellent Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII is next and Dissidia 012 looks amazing. And of course Agito XIII which seems to be combining the best of old skool FF and new FF's.

Just because something is super popular doesnt meen its great my friend ... do you like Justin Bieber ? Hanana Montana ? Anything made by mtv ? just to name a few !

I'm giving them one chance to revive the franchise with XV.

Around the Network

while mainline FF games have been disapointing as of late, IMO spin offs this gen have been awesome.  FF Tactics A2 kicks arse and 4 heroes of light looks to do the same

I'm getting too old for FF and their 16-18 years old heroes but FF IV-XI were for me great moments in my gaming life. I would like a mature FF but it's not in Square-Enix intentions to make the FF games go that way.

At least there is still some good JRPGs like Resonance of Fate coming out from time to time.

But no the franchise is not dead. It's just sleeping waiting to wake in utter rage from the abyss with a game made with fresh blood and ideas!

WIzarDE said:
darthdevidem01 said:

No because:

Just because something is super popular doesnt meen its great my friend ... do you like Justin Bieber ? Hanana Montana ? Anything made by mtv ? just to name a few !

Read the thread title.

He is asking if SE have killed FF.

When mentioning killing we have to measure popularity, not doing that would be silly as we can't pronounce something as dead if its popular.

And if I thought everything popular is the best FF7 would be my fav FF, its not.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

blaydcor said:
darthdevidem01 said:

No because:

Gee, or we measure the quality of titles we play by something other than legacy/namebrand appeal, an obscenely budgeted marketing campaign, and the opinions of other people who don't share the same tastes as us. 

Popularity does not in any way equal quality.

And the fact that you discount XIV because "it's an MMO" is honestly one of the most profoundly inane things I've read in a while, especially considering you go on to include spin-offs (Versus XIII, Dissidia) which don't have anything close to "traditional" FF gameplay and structure. 

Final Fantasy is a marketing force and the games have big budgets with usually misguided creative direction. They're okay, but not that great these days. They used to be awesome. That's about it. 

And declining quality doesn't mean dead...

A series is dead when it no longer sells, when it is no longer popular.

I am addressing the thread title and topic.

I discount FFXIV because most FF fans seem too, but now that it has low scores suddenly people are acting like they even cared about FFXIV and were going to buy it, when they weren't.......yes there are some which were gonna buy it but many really weren't going too. If I do want to count it I can't comment cus I haven't played it. And I can't analyse its sales yet either. So its best we leave it for the time being.

VErsus XIII isn't a spin off.

And I would agree about the marketing campaign bit but  really find it hard to believe Leona Lewis adverts enticed gamers into buying FF13, they were bad adverts.

You think they used to be awesome, good, I still think they are awesome. I'm sure we can both live with differing opinions, no?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

killed the franchise? ff 13 had mostly positive reviews and is apporaching 6 million in sales right? To me 13 was great not as good as i expected but still awesome. different people different opinions but saying Square enix is killing the franchis is ridiculous. And darthdevidemo1 is right if the internet was a vast as today it would have been the same discussions for 8 as it didnt live up to alot of peoples expectations though alot loved it.