By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Square killed the Final Fantasy franchise??

Muffin31190 said:
ishiki said:
Muffin31190 said:

FF X was the last great game they put out there, 11 was okay not my cup of tea but good none the less, X-2 was just like there is no point to this even bieng made but it had some interesting qualities, 12 was suprising but There was no reason for the main charecter in the game so whats the point, 13 was just like - R U Serious we cant even go on a World Map like Everyother Final Fantasy Game .... it was soooo linear and in my eyes the worst final fantasy but it was still a good game but not something that is supposed to live up to the Final Fantasy Quality. If u Noticed something all the games i talked about were made by Square Enix, not Square Soft .... and that People is what happened to Final Fantasy. When Square Soft merged with Enix there games turned sour ... It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth BLEEEEHHHHHH.

Final Fantasy X-2 was made by squaresoft, and published by square in Japan. it just wasn't released in the states until squaresoft was made square-enix. Just like those GBA FF games have the Square-Enix label but obviously were not made by square enix.

Yeah u can say that but thats not exactly true X-2 was made after 11 and that was done with square Eniz and 13 might have had some of the same people working on it as X but i know quite a few people left square in that 9 year time period and i mean some key players left

Final Fantasy X-2 was made by square before it turned into Square Enix. It was published in Japan By Square, not Square-Enix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

if they make another horrible game like ff13 you can say goodbye to that franchise.

People will not buy another crapy game just because of his name anymore , ffversus13 will be the game that will save the series or give the final blow , final fantasy 12 was bad because of the combat system and story but ff13 fail in all things , the game is an abomination and now they kill the online experience , great work squarenix!!!

Please explain

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

if they make another horrible game like ff13 you can say goodbye to that franchise.

People will not buy another crapy game just because of his name anymore , ffversus13 will be the game that will save the series or give the final blow , final fantasy 12 was bad because of the combat system and story but ff13 fail in all things , the game is an abomination and now they kill the online experience , great work squarenix!!!

Please explain

explain what part? , i have a bad english i know lol

how was the battle system and story bad? The story seemed more mature than other FF gamesand the battle system was an improve from back and forth that ruled previous ff games. I like the fact that the characters are shown drawing their weapons or shieldswhen the battle starts.

Agito FTW! lol

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Please explain

how was the battle system and story bad? The story seemed more mature than other FF gamesand the battle system was an improve from back and forth that ruled previous ff games. I like the fact that the characters are shown drawing their weapons or shieldswhen the battle starts.

IMO i like more of turn based system , i want to control all the characters :( , not just one , auto mode on ?? that sucks :(

story was bad IMO because dont have a good lead character and a good villain , for me its just mehhhh, but ff12 have good things like the world of the game , love the towns and cities , and all the races in that world.

I completely agree with Xbbjf9 on FF12, and this is why:

can anyone seriously say that after FF12, FF13 or any FF reached that kind realistic maturity; and the story in FF12 had very dark undertones, one of the most important ones was the rich and poor class divide, and the disturbing allsions to Hiroshima, never before or after had FF reached that kind of storytelling. and i dont believe it can with the FF13 team.

Around the Network
A203D said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Please explain

IMO i like more of turn based system , i want to control all the characters :( , not just one , auto mode on ?? that sucks :(

story was bad IMO because dont have a good lead character and a good villain , for me its just mehhhh, but ff12 have good things like the world of the game , love the towns and cities , and all the races in that world.

can anyone seriously say that after FF12, FF13 or any FF reached that kind realistic maturity; and the story in FF12 had very dark undertones, one of the most important ones was the rich and poor class divide, and the incredible allsions to Hiroshima, never before or after had FF reached that kind of storytelling. and i dont believe it can with the FF13 team.

they weren't trying to get the same tone. It's like saying FFXII has a better story than blade runner, pixar movie, or ghost in the shell because it deals with politics instead of science fiction. Realistic =/= better. And are you also stating that a more complex story is better than a simple one. There is no definition in what makes a good story. You just like stories that you deem "mature" and final fantasy XII you deem it as that. And for whatever reason the direction FF must take to make you happy. In which case I'd abandon that hope on all the previous FF's 1-12, and until matsuno works on another FF.

And you picked probably the worst scene in FFX. And compared it to one of the best scenes in FFXII. Though I won't deny the writing is better in FFXII. I won't hesitate to say the story was better in X imo.

Now, I used to think you were more reasoble at not liking the general direction FF was going.

But really, if FFXII was you're definition of what a FF game must be story-wise. Then the only game that would fit that is FFXII or Vagrant story (which is much better than FFXII imo because it didn't have to stick to FF constraints like Chocobo's, summons, and Moogles). So you are stating the series must go this one direction when the series has never gone one direction  consistently before.

ishiki said:
A203D said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Xbbjf9s said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Please explain

can anyone seriously say that after FF12, FF13 or any FF reached that kind realistic maturity; and the story in FF12 had very dark undertones, one of the most important ones was the rich and poor class divide, and the incredible allsions to Hiroshima, never before or after had FF reached that kind of storytelling. and i dont believe it can with the FF13 team.

they weren't trying to get the same tone. It's like saying FFXII has a better story than blade runner, pixar movie, or ghost in the shell because it's more realistic. Realistic =/= better.

And you picked probably the worst scene in FFX. And compared it to one of the best scenes in FFXII. Though I won't deny the writing is better in FFXII. I won't hesitate to say the story was better in X imo.

Now, I used to think you were more reasoble at not liking the general direction FF was going.

But really, if FFXII was you're definition of what a FF game must be story-wise. Then the only game that would fit that is FFXII or a matsuno game's (which are all better than FFXII). So you are stating the series must go this one direction when it has never gone one direction  consistently before.

No, i think under Yoshinori Kitase's direction the series has been moving further towards becoming more of an interactive movie. this is the case because his background is from the field of film studies, not game design. the FF series has become more about lavish cutscenes with FF13 featuring over 6 hours of cutscenes sacrificing much gameplay and story in the process.

the point is that the FF13 use realistic character models and try to aim for a realisitic tone, but it like they dont understand how to make their games with realitistic tones and dialogue. and this is why Matusno's realism and maturity is better. arguably this is the worst scene ever, can you honestly say that this is where you want to see the series go??? because imo without Sakaguchi this production team will never stop making these mistakes. 

A203D said:

No, i think under Yoshinori Kitase's direction the series has been moving further towards becoming more of an interactive movie. this is the case because his background is from the field of film studies, not game design. the FF series has become more about lavish cutscenes with FF13 featuring over 6 hours of cutscenes sacrificing much gameplay and story in the process.

the point is that the FF13 use realistic character models and try to aim for a realisitic tone, but it like they dont understand how to make their games with realitistic tones and dialogue. and this is why Matusno's realism and maturity is better. arguably this is the worst scene ever, can you honestly say that this is where you want to see the series go??? because imo without Sakaguchi this production team will never stop making these mistakes. 

When you insult kitase you're also insulting FF6 you know this yes? FF6 was as or more of Kitase's than FFXII was of Matsuno's. Because they were both co-directed from the start with Hiroyuki Ito. But when "whatever" happened to matsuno Hiroshi Minagawa replaced him.

FFXIII's character models aren't realistic, they're a cross between realistic and anime, like all tetsuya nomura's.

you do know  sakaguchi was an executive produce for FFX-2 too right?

Now I Know I'm going to get flamed for this, but FFX-2 was one of my favorites in the whole series for what is listed below. It did however have one of the worst stories in the series (4-13)... only given competition by FFV imo. But as with FFV it served it's purpose.

final fantasy x-2 was intentionally cheesy at parts and funny as hell and didn't take itself seriously the whole time (like FFIX and FFV albeit in a much more girly way), was one of the final fantasy's that gave you the most freedom, with lots of good and bad mini-games. It also had too much fan-service.

It had one of the best skill learning systems, similar to the job Systems of FFV. So yes, I wouldn't mind.

Also I wouldn't mind if it went in FFXII's direction either. Though I'd prefer matsuno got his own series in ivalice or whatever. Because Vagrant Story is one of my favorite games ever and didn't need the FF universe in it.

ishiki said:
A203D said:

When you insult kitase you're also insulting FF6 you know this yes? FF6 was as or more of Kitase's than FFXII was of Matsuno's. Because they were both co-directed from the start with Hiroyuki Ito. But when "whatever" happened to matsuno Hiroshi Minagawa replaced him.

FFXIII's character models aren't realistic, they're a cross between realistic and anime, like all tetsuya nomura's.

you do know  sakaguchi was an executive produce for FFX-2 too right?

Now I Know I'm going to get flamed for this, but FFX-2 was one of my favorites in the whole series for what is listed below. It did however have one of the worst stories in the series (4-13)... only given competition by FFV imo. But as with FFV it served it's purpose.

final fantasy x-2 was intentionally cheesy at parts and funny as hell and didn't take itself seriously the whole time (like FFIX and FFV albeit in a much more girly way), was one of the final fantasy's that gave you the most freedom, with lots of good and bad mini-games. It also had too much fan-service.

It had one of the best skill learning systems, similar to the job Systems of FFV. So yes, I wouldn't mind

Hmmm, well we could debate FF6, Kitase or FF12 and Matsuno all day, but its wont go anywhere. i thought FF13's was designed to be photorealistic, but perhaps as you say its meant to be a bit more amgbiguous than that.

imo, i thought FF5 had an excellent story, better than FF4, just not enough character development. it had a great revelation about the two worlds originally as one, and the 12 sealed weapons, etc, it was a great game imo.

FF10-2 has some decent gameplay elements, like the sphere coin thing, stuff like that, but imo at the core its still has an abysmal story and characters. and way too much 'fan service' imo. 

either way i think the reason the series has staled is because of things like the FF7 compilation, and the direction of FF13, because of the focus on too many cutscenes, and lack of gameplay elements and uninteresting story. i think there are some very good reasons why FF13 has been a dissappointing game!!

ishiki, this is why i think FF13 is a poor game: since FF8 Square having been chasing a dream, this is to reach the sales success of FF7, with about 10mil units shipped/sold.

and since Sakaguchi has left Kitase is the head of production team 1, and for some reason he and production team 1 seem to think the way to reach that success is to draw from influences like FPS and creating something that isnt an RPG:

Oh and heres an interview with Kitase: http://www.gamegrep.com/previews/30446-final_fantasy_xiii_not_an_rpg_says_producer_new_1up_exclusive_screens/

he talks about why FF13 is NOT an RPG, and about how series is becoming more like an interactive movie. Toriyama discusses how FF13 is more like an FPS than an RPG and some of the methods he used to make it like that. but i dont think this is what western gamers WANT.

Wada allowed this because hes not a game designer, hes a buisness man, which is why he chose to make FF13 multiplatform. either way i dont think they'll ever be another FF like 13, and i have no idea who will be doing the next one. but this is why i dont agree with the direction the series has gone in and their methodology and design philiosophy for making FF13 that way.