By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Only 12% of news watchers trust msnbc so...

Haha, you Americans and your shitty journalists.

My news comes from the RSS feeds of

SBS world news - it's an Australian channel, but I recommend anyone who cares about worldwide news to have a look

ABC news - Not too bad, focuses mostly on Australia

The BBC - slightly trashy at times, and it's best to verify anything big they claim, but good to keep me updated on the motherland

MSNBC are pretty shit, but when this criticisms is being leveled at them by Fox news, I feel an urge to claim bias

Around the Network
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

Also... there is a very simple reason why Fox News is the most trusted cable news source in the country.

1)  Every other Cable News network leans Leftwing at least some... and are going even more that way for ratings.  The only real exception when it comes to Newscasters everyone likes is Anderson Cooper... and he doesn't get the ratings people want him to.  He's one of Republican's favorite newscasters and I mean... he's gay.

All cable news broadcasters are right wing by the standards of most other western nations.

People keep saying that... but it's not really true.  The US is actually pretty left wing in a lot of areas other people countries aren't.  Since other countries don't view those areas as "as important" america gets labeled rightwing.  It's pure bias based soley on what someone thinks is important.   It's like a friend of mine who thinks he's a liberal democrat when he's anti gay, thinks world war 3 will be with the middle east and believes in another of what i'd call crackpot far rightwing positions.  The difference is... he's for a few minor leftwing things he finds VERY important, like the legalization of Marijuana.  The few issues he cares about greatly trumps the many other issues.

Really i'd say MSNBC greatly trumps any "left wing" British newscasters i've seen.  Though I haven't seen many newscasts outside of them.

Regardless, not really important  to the topic at hand... since it's a poll of americans.  Not the world.

I mean, the numbers tell you alot.  They are percentage based afterall... you had to pick one of the three.

49 39 12 = 100.

49% For Fox News  and 51% split between the two left wing stations.  I mean, what other conclusion is there to draw?

Asking which news station you trust the most is kinda like asking which Drug Dealer you trust the most.

The one who's agenda is most clearly known.

The survey wasn't a "pick one of three", it also included NBC, CBS, and ABC (35%, 32%, and 31%).  So your math, while conveniently adding up to 100, doesn't mean anything.

CNN is definitely as center as it gets.  I mean, they gave Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs their starts.  Fox is way right and MSNBC is way left.

You do realize the fact that this isn't the case just proves my point even moreso?

I thought the NBC, CBS and ABC polling were in a different question.

The fact that it isn't a 100% gain actually suggests an even more leftwing bent to the media for the numbers to shake out as they do.

Or at the very least that's how a large portion of the population sees it.

That Fox News can be seen as the most trusted can only be explained by a lack of rightwing and central media otherwise.

There really isn't any other way to look at it.  I mean, what other alternative could you give?

CNN only looks "as center as you can get" because it's between a leftwing and rightwing station with no one else there.

Heck, quite honestly, up until about mid way through the Bush administration I would of said MSNBC was more center ground then CNN.

Chris Matthews was the same in personality, but he picked on both parties a lot... because he's a Pittsburgh style Union democrat.  Union Democrats generally hating the far left as much as the far right.

The same was true with Keith Olberman.   Neither went into "MUST CRUSH REPUBLICANS" mode until the Bush administration really fucked things up.  It's like how Glenn Beck used to be sane until like... 9/11.  Well even after 9/11 he was fine, it was a few years after... not sure what triggered that.

Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

Also... there is a very simple reason why Fox News is the most trusted cable news source in the country.

1)  Every other Cable News network leans Leftwing at least some... and are going even more that way for ratings.  The only real exception when it comes to Newscasters everyone likes is Anderson Cooper... and he doesn't get the ratings people want him to.  He's one of Republican's favorite newscasters and I mean... he's gay.

All cable news broadcasters are right wing by the standards of most other western nations.

People keep saying that... but it's not really true.  The US is actually pretty left wing in a lot of areas other people countries aren't.  Since other countries don't view those areas as "as important" america gets labeled rightwing.  It's pure bias based soley on what someone thinks is important.   It's like a friend of mine who thinks he's a liberal democrat when he's anti gay, thinks world war 3 will be with the middle east and believes in another of what i'd call crackpot far rightwing positions.  The difference is... he's for a few minor leftwing things he finds VERY important, like the legalization of Marijuana.  The few issues he cares about greatly trumps the many other issues.

Really i'd say MSNBC greatly trumps any "left wing" British newscasters i've seen.  Though I haven't seen many newscasts outside of them.

Regardless, not really important  to the topic at hand... since it's a poll of americans.  Not the world.

I mean, the numbers tell you alot.  They are percentage based afterall... you had to pick one of the three.

49 39 12 = 100.

49% For Fox News  and 51% split between the two left wing stations.  I mean, what other conclusion is there to draw?

Asking which news station you trust the most is kinda like asking which Drug Dealer you trust the most.

The survey wasn't a "pick one of three", it also included NBC, CBS, and ABC (35%, 32%, and 31%).  So your math, while conveniently adding up to 100, doesn't mean anything.

CNN is definitely as center as it gets.  I mean, they gave Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs their starts.  Fox is way right and MSNBC is way left.

You do realize the fact that this isn't the case just proves my point even moreso?

The fact that it isn't a 100% gain actually suggests an even more leftwing bent to the media for the numbers to shake out as they do.

That Fox News can be seen as the most trusted can only be explained by a lack of rightwing and central media otherwise.

There really isn't any other way to look at it.  I mean, what other alternative could you give?

CNN only looks "as center as you can get" because it's between a leftwing and rightwing station with no one else there.

That people are batshit insane!  Perception and reality are not the same thing.

whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

49 39 12 = 100.

So your opinion is that aproximitly 50% of the country is batshit insane.

This is seriously the arguement you are going with.

Also... perception actually more or less is reality when you talk about trusting your newsource.

All of the major News stations report the same news, they all just have different opinions on what said news will cause.  More people then any other trust Fox new's opinions on those outcomes.

That makes it the truth.

50% of a country can't be "Batshit Insane"

I guess you were never taught the "Poison Well" parable as a kid?

Around the Network
scottie said:

SBS world news - it's an Australian channel, but I recommend anyone who cares about worldwide news to have a look

The BBC - slightly trashy at times, and it's best to verify anything big they claim, but good to keep me updated on the motherland

MSNBC are pretty shit, but when this criticisms is being leveled at them by Fox news, I feel an urge to claim bias

Whilst I agree that all three of those websites are good news services, SBS and increasingly the ABC are really quite left wing.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
scottie said:

Whilst I agree that all three of those websites are good news services, SBS and increasingly the ABC are really quite left wing.

I wonder if it's the same in Australia as it is here.

In the US 40% of newscasters and reporters label themselves as left wing VS 25% as right wing.

A somewhat leftwing bias in news reporting seems "natural".  Though worth noting that it is going to be bias vs what the regular person watching the news is going to think.

Me, I don't like TV media.  They never stick on the interesting parts and since it's on TV they can't link back to the source.

It's what I like about "legitamite" internet media.  Their source is the origin and they link to it, often a paper or poll online where you can review the news yourself directly.

What I hate are the blog spincircles though that just quote something they read off another blog, who read it off another blog, who read it off another blog who read it off a legitamite site.

It takes forever to get back to a real source... and if it's 3 months later or less?  Forget about it since one of the blogs in the chain likely no longer exists.

Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

49 39 12 = 100.

Also... perception actually more or less is reality when you talk about trusting your newsource.

All of the major News stations report the same news, they all just have different opinions on what said news will cause.  More people then any other trust Fox new's opinions on those outcomes.

That makes it the truth.

I would put the batshit insane percentage at about 20% actually.

The point is that you can't come to the conclusion that everyone else but Fox is left leaning based on these numbers, as you seem to be trying to do.  I'm sure there were people in this poll that said they didn't trust any of the news sources, and I'm sure some may trust them all.  Without more information, all your doing is putting your own spin on the numbers.

As for perception vs reality, I couldn't disagree more.  Just because you think you can trust someone, doesn't mean that you can.  However, I was actually referring to the perception that CNN (and others) are left leaning doesn't mean it is a reality.  A lot of people feel that Fox is "fair and balanced", but that doesn't make is so.

whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
whatever said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

49 39 12 = 100.

That makes it the truth.

I would put the batshit insane percentage at about 20% actually.

The point is that you can't come to the conclusion that everyone else but Fox is left leaning based on these numbers, as you seem to be trying to do.  I'm sure there were people in this poll that said they didn't trust any of the news sources, and I'm sure some may trust them all.  Without more information, all your doing is putting your own spin on the numbers.

As for perception vs reality, I couldn't disagree more.  Just because you think you can trust someone, doesn't mean that you can.  However, I was actually referring to the perception that CNN (and others) are left leaning doesn't mean it is a reality.  A lot of people feel that Fox is "fair and balanced", but that doesn't make is so.

49% of people saying they trust fox news would have to mean that at least 49% of people trust fox news.

While... yes.  Perception completely decides who is leftwing and who is rightwing.

Leftwing and Rightwing are a measure of political belief.

For example.  Something like 25% of people want abortions to be legal with less or the same restrictions, 33% wan't abortions to be illegal, and the rest want abortions to be legal but with more restrictions.   (Mostly  stopping abortions when brainwaves become active.)

Less or same is a leftwing view.   None or only in cases like rape and abortion would be rightwing.

If things change and in the future 25% want "abortions whenever, before someone his born.

In the past few people were for abortions for any reason, most were for some in cases like rape and incest, while another group wanted them neever.

Back then "Cases like rape and incset" wasn't rightwing.  It was middleground.

Besides, have you ever seen a study based on the political leanings of journalists?

Every news channel will have some level of bias because there is not enough time to give you every complete side of every story. Some just give you WAY more of one political side than others.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius