By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Help me choose my first Android phone (I know nothing about Androids)

I have the choice between a HTC Desire and a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, the first one is $150 and the second one is $200. Which one is the better phone?

I'd also like to know if it's better to get an android or am I better off trying to get an I-phone for like $600 later on, take into account the two phones at those prices are a limited offer. How are the apps on the Android? Do all apps work on all Androids? How can I download apps and what site do I get them from?  Are they cheaper or more expensive than I-tunes apps? I'm looking to mainly play games and read e-books, as well as obviously use it as a phone.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Get the Desire... the X10 won't be updated to Android 2.2... No not all apps work on the different versions of Android and the Marketplace is a pile of shit... Gameloft, EA are using their own sites to sell android games... While android is gaining in popularity against the iPhone.. it really is shit with apps... developers (like my company) aren't pleased with the way google is handeling things.. Appstore >>>>>>>> Android market place... It's like google isn't doing a thing about it... Appstore is way better with games and most of the times there are discounts or special offers so you can get games cheaper...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I am using the HTC Desire right now and it is a DREAM. best phone I ever had.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

If you have an existing contract, you can probably upgrade to iPhone 4 or an Android phone for less than 200 dollars.

A rule of thumb when going for Android phones, don't get North American made ones, get Asian made ones from HTC/Samsung. As far as gaming goes, you're much better off with an iPhone; it's not even close. If you're into phone modding and stuff, you're better off with an Android phone - but you should know what you're doing - I have bricked a Samsung Galaxy and a Nexus One while fiddling around with the mods. Be prepared to have a lot of applications that may not work correctly (similar to BREW and Java Micro Edition platforms) due to developers not taking the time to optimize applications for each configuration and resolution. Stay away from the G-1, despite it being one of the more popular ones, it's a really crappy phone (mine just stopped working, it wouldn't turn on anymore) and I found it clunky and irritating to use. Nexus One was my favourite, it has a really excellent camera, 5 megapixels.

HTC Desire is essentially the upgrade to the Nexus One, it is on the same level of hardware, but to use an analogy is like a DSi XL comopared to a regular DSi.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DirtyP2002 said:

I am using the HTC Desire right now and it is a DREAM. best phone I ever had.

How is it with the apps, battery life, web browsing, camera and just the general media stuff like watching movies and listening to music?

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

You guys are making me feel bad about owning a Droid 2 (which I love).

From what I heard Desire is crap. Bad screen (visible resolution is less than those in specs) and very low battery lifetime. Isn't it just a copy of Nexus One which HTC previously OEMed to Google before?

MDMAniac said:

From what I heard Desire is crap. Bad screen (visible resolution is less than those in specs) and very low battery lifetime. Isn't it just a copy of Nexus One which HTC previously OEMed to Google before?

Look, you judge from what you heard, I judge from what I experienced.

The Kamera is flawless, very easy to sync data with PC, browser works well (even VGC!), Resolution is not an issue.

I am actually selling them right now, because I got them cheap. If you are from germany and want one, pm  me :D

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

i don't know anything about the sony but a friend of mine has the HTC.  he likes it and i was pretty impressed myself.

Definitely go with the HTC... I've found there phones to be highly durable and performance just outstanding. I'm currently running the desire build on my HD2  and if runs great on my rooted phone I can only imagine how well it runs on the actual Desire.