By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Help me choose my first Android phone (I know nothing about Androids)

superchunk said:

That's why I questioned why he hasn't considered a Galaxy S phone. It simply better than any other Android phone currently.

better screens, better UI, faster, Samsung is good quality, great physical looks, will run 2.2 soon, etc.

I had the opportunity to compare the Desire against a Galaxy S and found that apart from the keyboard (you keep your finger on the keyboard and sweep it about to make words, looked kinda neat but I was able to type faster on my screen but still looked cool) and the screen. Those benefits aside (although the screen is nice) still prefer the Desire overall. HTC do a good job with the OS, something they picked up from the years of having to work with Windows Mobile I guess.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
welshbloke said:
superchunk said:

That's why I questioned why he hasn't considered a Galaxy S phone. It simply better than any other Android phone currently.

better screens, better UI, faster, Samsung is good quality, great physical looks, will run 2.2 soon, etc.

I had the opportunity to compare the Desire against a Galaxy S and found that apart from the keyboard (you keep your finger on the keyboard and sweep it about to make words, looked kinda neat but I was able to type faster on my screen but still looked cool) and the screen. Those benefits aside (although the screen is nice) still prefer the Desire overall. HTC do a good job with the OS, something they picked up from the years of having to work with Windows Mobile I guess.

I prefer Samsungs touch softkeys vs the buttons on the Desire as well as overall form factor.

Samsung also comes with more memory built in, anywhere from 2GB to 16GB depending your carrier.

Along with the better and bigger display, to me, makes it a better phone choice.

However, I have heard many good things about HTCs higher end Androids so I'm sure the desire is good too.

EDIT: Crap, not sure which carrier you have but Telstra's Galaxy S also has a front facing camera. Man wish my Fascinate did.

EDIT2: Jeebus. you guys have the best Galaxy S (i9000) available. Equal to iPhone4 in every way. Still think this is a far better option that the Desire or Sony's phone, especially after looking at the comparison pages on a few of the Australian websites.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to keep your finger on the kb to type. You can just type as well, it takes both methods just fine on the Galaxy S phone.

welshbloke said:
superchunk said:

Swipe texting is a feature on some Android phones. You can set them to type conventionally, as well.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

htc desire.

Avoiding Paranoid Androids should be a good start!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!