By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your Failure and Success list for this gen?

These just came to my mind now.

Success list:

1:Exclusives - Each console has at least 1 game that makes you want to buy it.

2: Multiplatforms - Game developers has now, for each multiplatform Hd game a 2 consoles market, since nowdays  most of the games are released on Ps3 and Xbox 360 and some games to all consoles.

3:Consoles more than just a gaming system -  You can do so many things on both handled consoles and home consoles comparet to last generations.

4:Online gaming - I didin't even know that I could had played online with Ps2/Xbox..

Failure list:

1:Japan developers - They were left behind this generation. Most of their games are Japan only games and those which are released here on Europe/Us usually flop.For me there has been only 1 sequel that I have liked, which came from Japan and it's Mgs4. Nintendo and Sony ofc have done their job well.

2:Jprg:s -  Well...Yea.No need to comment.

3:Bugged/broken games - Back in the old days, developers made game solid diamonds. Now they release the game and then fix it with patches later on.

4: Games aimed for "mass market" -  DMC.Guns.Easiest generation ever.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

failure:

1. Sony,Nintendo, and MS games line up: GT5 and Halo REACH are the only real games set fro release this fall. any why is that?

succee:

1. in sells the big 3 managed to stay right ontop of each other.

I agree with all your success point and I'll add:

-Downloadable classic and indie games

-User generated content

In the failure list I'll add:

- stale ideas, too many games ar very similar to each other

-Too short single player games

-Unrealized potential of motion control (at least atm)

Simulacrum said:

3:Bugged/broken games - Back in the old days, developers made game solid diamonds. Now they release the game and then fix it with patches later on.

Yes, patching makes broken games easier to swallow but I promise you, there were plenty of broken games with game ending bugs long before this generation.

Success: Hybrid-RPG's, or Games with RPG elements, or mixed elements of Rpg's and other genre's call it what you will.

The World End's With You, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, Demon Soul's, And even Dead Space All of my favorite games have this. Some more than other's

Flashy-Visuals, Duh
Sound. Clear Sound!

Failures:
DLC's why, I prefer Expansion packs, it seems DLC limits expansion packs.

Motion controls, hate them.

But failures are more of a dislike than a failure.

Around the Network

success: nintendo on top again, resurrection of the 2d platformer genre, services like Wiiware/Virtual console/XBLA/PSN

failure: wii success is a huge missed opportunity for third parties, no good classic turn-based jrpg, no good FPS with splitscreen offline a la goldeneye/perfect dark/timesplitters. dlc. the rise of the use of terms like "casuals" and "hardcore" in gaming forums.

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

DarkCronos said:

success: nintendo on top again, resurrection of the 2d platformer genre, services like Wiiware/Virtual console/XBLA/PSN

failure: wii success is a huge missed opportunity for third parties, no good classic turn-based jrpg, no good FPS with splitscreen offline a la goldeneye/perfect dark/timesplitters. dlc. the rise of the use of terms like "casuals" and "hardcore" in gaming forums.

Try "lost Odyssey" on the Xbox360

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Success: 

• Wii
  • Gaming as a whole. Gaming has become extreamly popular, more people are playing video games.
  • Xbox brand name.
  • FPS's
  • Online gaming
  • Casual gaming
  • Downloadable games.
  • HD
Failures:
  • UMD's
  • Next gen graphics - smallest jump in graphics ever. The best looking PS2, GC and Xbox games can easily hold there own against the best looking PS3, Wii and 360 games.
  • Playstation  brand name - not exactly a failure but it has taken a hit. It's no longer considered the best by the casuals and some gamers any more. 

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Success: 

• Wii
  • Gaming as a whole. Gaming has become extreamly popular, more people are playing video games.
  • Xbox brand name.
  • FPS's
  • Online gaming
  • Casual gaming
  • Downloadable games.
  • HD
Failures:
  • UMD's
  • Next gen graphics - smallest jump in graphics ever. The best looking PS2, GC and Xbox games can easily hold there own against the best looking PS3, Wii and 360 games.
  • Playstation  brand name - not exactly a failure but it has taken a hit. It's no longer considered the best by the casuals and some gamers any more. 

Well after watching some GT5 videos, I think graphics are at max limit from real life,now its more improving little stuff, like characters faces etc. Ps2 just sold its way to users because of the graphics looked so much better, compared to Ps1.

Take my love, take my land..

Success:
Nintendo first party
Sony first party
Nintendo hardware reliability
Microsoft Online Play (which allowed sony to improve as well)
Smaller companies shine (Level 5, Platinum games, others.)
Multiplayer Online
Sega later generation (early on they really were doing horrible....SONIC HD....)

Failure:
Destruction of microsofts first party (Ensemble, etc.)
Microsoft RROD on early models
Sony YLOD on early models
Paid DLC namely from Capcom, Namco
Capcom Company
Sega Early Generation
Namco lack of translations for key titles
Multiplayer Split Screen

I could go on but I need to get back to class.