By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS is not the first to have 3D as a portable gaming device

Gnizmo said:
jneul said:

and virtual boy came out in the 80's, as for using CD technology it failed before just as virtual boy failed, sony made it mainsteam just as wii made wiimote mainsteam, if you can't find the contradiction, fair enough

What on Earth are you talking about? The Virtual Boy came out in 1995, and used cartridges. The first disc based system Nintendo released was the GameCube in 2001. Sega CD, PC-Engine, and a number of other systems used CDs though in the generation right before the PS1 leading to its increased popularity and was utilized by all but one system in the 5th generation. I have also stated that the Wii is not truly innovative, but called that incorrectly. Try reading my posts rather building a straw man. That, much like moving the goal posts, will not get you anywhere with me.

Please get your facts straight before making broad inaccurate claims. CD never failed, and Virtual Boy came out right before the N64.

cd failed on sega and it was a typo on the date, and ps1 made CD mainstream, ans i am a straw women tecnically speaking

anyway I'm off now, as Im babbling

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
jneul said:

cd failed on sega and it was a typo on the date, and ps1 made CD mainstream, ans i am a straw women tecnically speaking

In what way? By selling lots of Sega CDs and being massively profitable? By continuing to be used even in their final console? There is not even close to a single way to spin Sega's usage of CD as a failure, nor PS1 as somehow making it "mainstream." Nearly every console released in the 5th gen used CDs. If the PS1 had not released this would still be true as they all released before, or very shortly after the PS1.

Also, the term is still Straw Man. It is a name for a logical fallacy. It is when you attempt to build up an argument based on what you want the other person to stand for and argue against it rather than taking on the actual points. In this case specifically attributing the wiimote being innovative for being mainstream to me despite my clear claims to the contrary. You have done it several times in this thread.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
jneul said:

In what way? By selling lots of Sega CDs and being massively profitable? By continuing to be used even in their final console? There is not even close to a single way to spin Sega's usage of CD as a failure, nor PS1 as somehow making it "mainstream." Nearly every console released in the 5th gen used CDs. If the PS1 had not released this would still be true as they all released before, or very shortly after the PS1.

Also, the term is still Straw Man. It is a name for a logical fallacy. It is when you attempt to build up an argument based on what you want the other person to stand for and argue against it rather than taking on the actual points. In this case specifically attributing the wiimote being innovative for being mainstream to me despite my clear claims to the contrary. You have done it several times in this thread.

I know about the straw man thing  I was making fun, as I'm a girl.

most people consider the cd-32 to be a failure, sorry but ps1 did make cd mainstream (note that sony list CD as their own creation as of 1982 ), after that it took ninty ages to follow suit they stuck to good old cartridges for the n64, changing to a mini-cd like storage which i think phillips helped them out with, correct me if i'm mistaken...

wiimote was not the first to sell loads for a motion controller, eyetoy did quite well back in the ps2 days, it's just wiimote destroyed eyetoy sales

anyway enough of this...

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:

most people consider the cd-32 to be a failure, sorry but ps1 did make cd mainstream (note that sony list CD as their own creation as of 1982 ), after that it took ninty ages to follow suit they stuck to good old cartridges for the n64, changing to a mini-cd like storage which i think phillips helped them out with, correct me if i'm mistaken...

wiimote was not the first to sell loads for a motion controller, eyetoy did quite well back in the ps2 days, it's just wiimote destroyed eyetoy sales

anyway enough of this...

Most people are wrong then. The 32X was a misreable failure, but the Sega CD was a massive success. It was the reason Sega went forward with their next system as CD based. More over the PS1 was the LAST system to use CD released in the fifth generation. There is no way in which youcan spin PS1 being the driving force behind CDs. It took hold before the system, plain and simple.

Also why do you continue to mention the wiimote at all? I have not claimed one thing about it. It is quite an odd digression.

Gnizmo said:
jneul said:

anyway enough of this...

Most people are wrong then. The 32X was a misreable failure, but the Sega CD was a massive success. It was the reason Sega went forward with their next system as CD based. More over the PS1 was the LAST system to use CD released in the fifth generation. There is no way in which youcan spin PS1 being the driving force behind CDs. It took hold before the system, plain and simple.

Also why do you continue to mention the wiimote at all? I have not claimed one thing about it. It is quite an odd digression.

i give up like you said i am getting nowhere, and you keep on taking offense, which is not intended so i may as well be wasting my breath, and ps1 was not the last to use it like i said n64 still had cartridges, previous systems may have been succesful with CD but not to the extent of the ps1, just think about it you can't argue about 100m ps1 all with CD, from what i recall no other system did anywhere near that amount before it.

fair enough about wiimote, i was just giving an example of something else which helped motion go mainsteam, yes eyetoy was sucessful by selling 10million, but wiimote made it mainstream, just imagine how many wiimote's there are out there!!

PS VITA = LIFE

Around the Network

If this was any good why did we heard about it before... this is old news...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

jneul said:

i give up like you said i am getting nowhere, and you keep on taking offense, which is not intended so i may as well be wasting my breath, and ps1 was not the last to use it like i said n64 still had cartridges, previous systems may have been succesful with CD but not to the extent of the ps1, just think about it you can't argue about 100m ps1 all with CD, from what i recall no other system did anywhere near that amount before it.

fair enough about wiimote, i was just giving an example of something else which helped motion go mainsteam, yes eyetoy was sucessful by selling 10million, but wiimote made it mainstream, just imagine how many wiimote's there are out there!!

Being the most successful isn't what you claimed. Yor claim was that the PS1 was the driving force behind using CDs. If it wasn't for Nintendo wanting to use CDs there would be no Playstation. If you want to claim it is the most popular CD based system ever, well there is no real disputing that. Doesn't really add up to much though as it was the logical progression the industry had already followed.

And yes, the PS1 was the last system to be released that used CDs. Probably last ever as even the Dreamcast had its own format with a bit more space. The N64 was the last system launched in the 5th gen, but it used cartridges rather than CDs.

@Rol
Hush you with that Amiga non-sense. The last thing I need to do is get someone on that topic and force me to go look up a bunch more info on that crazy ass generation.

Well this thread is utterly destroyed, I think it's a good time to just lock it since this seems like a good stopping point, it won't likely go back to the cell phone discussion again.

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000