By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handhelds are not Consoles..

Handhelds are not Consoles..

Yes they are. 130 53.72%

The newer ones are. 8 3.31%

Dunno. 3 1.24%

No they arent. 80 33.06%

I Dont care. 21 8.68%

Total:242
KylieDog said:
c0rd said:

You do realize, he pulled that out of wiki?

I personally don't think of handhelds when I hear "console," though mainly because I've barely dealt with handhelds (other than Pokemon, and the recent DS). Sadly, it seems this thread is mainly filled with people with an agenda - the whole PS2 vs DS being the top selling console deal...

Bingo.  I still to this day not hear handelds called consoles until sales come into it.  No one in the real world calls them that.  You ask someone "Do you own any consoles" and never will they answer DS or PSP.

Well, I wouldn't agree with that.

I don't really refer to my DS as a "console," though if someone asked that question I'd definitely list it (since it's kind of in the same territory). I'd personally put it in the middle somewhere...

Of course, this is only my view, couldn't say what the exact / technical / whatever meaning of "console" is.

Around the Network

Obviously a portable console is a portable console~!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Oh yes, handhelds are consoles. That's like saying a cell phone is not a phone because it's something you can use anywhere, whereas home phones stay in your house. They do the same things, just in different ways. Same goes with consoles.

I don't use the word console when describing any video game system, I use the system's name.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
forest-spirit said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh no you didn't.

Noun

console (plural consoles)

• A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
  • A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
  • The keyboard and screen of a computer.
  • A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
  • (video games) A device dedicated to playing video games, set apart from arcade cabinets by its ability to change games.
  • (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight.
  •  

So my question to you is, did you lie and change the definition in your post, or was the definition changed in the time between when you posted, and when I just looked it up, because....number 5.....don't say what you claimed it did.

However, it is Wikipedia, and so even if it did change, you are still at fault for trying to post infomration on that site as evidence as to your opinion.

So by that logic, I also like number 5 because it agrees with me, saying that "handhelds" are actually handheld videogame consoles, so wtf bro? How and why did it change, and did it ever say what you claimed it did in the first place?

I think Maxwell did some stealth editing.

lol, THAT is the danger of using wikipedia as a source for definitions. Somebody can just freakin' change it.

What if we try this....

console 2 (con·sole)

Pronunciation:/ˈkänËŒsōl/

noun

• 1 a panel or unit accommodating a set of controls for electronic or mechanical equipment 
    • (also games console) a small electronic device for playing computerized video games
    • a cabinet for television or radio equipment
    • the cabinet or enclosure containing the keyboards, stops , pedals, etc., of an organ
    • a monitor and keyboard in a multiuser computer system
    • 2 an ornamented bracket with scrolls or corbel supporting a cornice, shelf, or tabletop
    • 3 a support between the seats of an automobile that has indentations for holding small items

From Oxford dictionaries online, that should be more reliable than wikipedia. http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1235495?rskey=3aD3GW&result=2#m_en_us1235495

Although that creates a new discussion, is the PS3 Phat small enough to be considered a console? :)

KylieDog said:
    Maynard_Tool said:
    KylieDog said:
    c0rd said:

I personally don't think of handhelds when I hear "console," though mainly because I've barely dealt with handhelds (other than Pokemon, and the recent DS). Sadly, it seems this thread is mainly filled with people with an agenda - the whole PS2 vs DS being the top selling console deal...

Bingo.  I still to this day not hear handelds called consoles until sales come into it.  No one in the real world calls them that.  You ask someone "Do you own any consoles" and never will they answer DS or PSP.

That's where you are wrong.

In a lot of threads here in vgchartz, asking "whay system/videogame console do you own"I always see people listing portable consoles too.

People here have an agenda, as mentioned in the bold.

No. People here just write as it is.....

What videogame console do you own?

My Ds and Psp are videogame consoles.. .portables, yeah, but consoles at the end. If you really dont want to see it, not my thing.

A portable console is still a console.... just like a portable DVD is still a DVD. Simple logic really.

Around the Network
    benao87 said:
    ZenfoldorVGI said:
    forest-spirit said:
    ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh no you didn't.

Noun

console (plural consoles)

• A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
  • A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
  • The keyboard and screen of a computer.
  • A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
  • (video games) A device dedicated to playing video games, set apart from arcade cabinets by its ability to change games.
  • (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight.
  •  

So my question to you is, did you lie and change the definition in your post, or was the definition changed in the time between when you posted, and when I just looked it up, because....number 5.....don't say what you claimed it did.

However, it is Wikipedia, and so even if it did change, you are still at fault for trying to post infomration on that site as evidence as to your opinion.

So by that logic, I also like number 5 because it agrees with me, saying that "handhelds" are actually handheld videogame consoles, so wtf bro? How and why did it change, and did it ever say what you claimed it did in the first place?

I think Maxwell did some stealth editing.

lol, THAT is the danger of using wikipedia as a source for definitions. Somebody can just freakin' change it.

What if we try this....

console 2 (con·sole)

Pronunciation:/ˈkänËŒsōl/
    noun
    • 1 a panel or unit accommodating a set of controls for electronic or mechanical equipment 
    • (also games console) a small electronic device for playing computerized video games
    • a cabinet for television or radio equipment
    • the cabinet or enclosure containing the keyboards, stops , pedals, etc., of an organ
    • a monitor and keyboard in a multiuser computer system
    • 2 an ornamented bracket with scrolls or corbel supporting a cornice, shelf, or tabletop
    • 3 a support between the seats of an automobile that has indentations for holding small items

From Oxford dictionaries online, that should be more reliable than wikipedia. http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1235495?rskey=3aD3GW&result=2#m_en_us1235495

Although that creates a new discussion, is the PS3 Phat small enough to be considered a console? :)

The PS3 pobably is. The CDi on the other hand...

Maynard_Tool said:
    KylieDog said:
    Maynard_Tool said:
    KylieDog said:
    c0rd said:

In a lot of threads here in vgchartz, asking "whay system/videogame console do you own"I always see people listing portable consoles too.

My Ds and Psp are videogame consoles.. .portables, yeah, but consoles at the end. If you really dont want to see it, not my thing.

A portable console is still a console.... just like a portable DVD is still a DVD. Simple logic really.

It's so simple,but yet this thread just keeps going and going and going. lol

This is just a semantic argument.

While nobody (who isn't doing so for the purpose of supporting an argument) goes around calling their DS or PSP "my portable console" that is what they are functionally.

If you don't believe those two devices are portable gaming consoles because they are independent platforms from their home console siblings, there was the Sega Nomad and the TG-16 Express that actually played the same exact media/games as their home console siblings. Portable gaming devices can in fact be functionally the same as a console without a battery based power supply, screen and controller.

If you only owned a mobile cellular phone and no land line, and someone asked you if you had a phone, you wouldn't say "no" unless you're one of those people who try to make people say "may I" rather than "can I".

For the purpose of sales on VGC, they are essentially considered consoles for the purpose of tracking unit sales even though "gaming platform" is probably a better definition.

I wouldn't call a gaming laptop a "gaming console" either, even if you somehow stripped out the ability to play anything other than media and games.

But again, this is all just semantics and personal perception.

oldschoolfool said:
    Maynard_Tool said:
    KylieDog said:
    Maynard_Tool said:
    KylieDog said:
    c0rd said:

It's so simple,but yet this thread just keeps going and going and going. lol

It's the never ending thread. @__@

They're portable on the go consoles....

DUH!

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.