By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handhelds are not Consoles..

Handhelds are not Consoles..

Yes they are. 130 53.72%

The newer ones are. 8 3.31%

Dunno. 3 1.24%

No they arent. 80 33.06%

I Dont care. 21 8.68%

Total:242
c0rd said:
Doobie_wop said:
kowenicki said:

NOUN

console (plural consoles)

• A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
  • A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
  • The keyboard and screen of a computer.
  • A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
  • (video games) A video game console, especially as opposed to a handheld.
  • (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight
  •  

I like 5.

Wow, you just blew away everyone's argument in one post. Probably shouldn't have, people will just start disagreeing with the dictionary.

You do realize, he pulled that out of wiki?

I personally don't think of handhelds when I hear "console," though mainly because I've barely dealt with handhelds (other than Pokemon, and the recent DS). Sadly, it seems this thread is mainly filled with people with an agenda - the whole PS2 vs DS being the top selling console deal...

It's still a more credible source of information than the opinions of some people in this thread.

I agree it's hard to come to a conclusion on the handheld = console thing, mainly because some people want the PS2 to be the best selling console of all time and some want the DS to take the crown, which is stupid anyway. I don't think handhelds should be considered to be consoles, but at least this thread is providing some good arguments (mainly from Khuutra and D12lewis) so it's not all bad.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
    Doobie_wop said:
    c0rd said:
    Doobie_wop said:
    kowenicki said:

NOUN

• (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight
  •  

I like 5.

Wow, you just blew away everyone's argument in one post. Probably shouldn't have, people will just start disagreeing with the dictionary.

I personally don't think of handhelds when I hear "console," though mainly because I've barely dealt with handhelds (other than Pokemon, and the recent DS). Sadly, it seems this thread is mainly filled with people with an agenda - the whole PS2 vs DS being the top selling console deal...

It's still a more credible source of information than the opinions of some people in this thread.

I agree it's hard to come to a conclusion on the handheld = console thing, mainly because some people want the PS2 to be the best selling console of all time and some want the DS to take the crown, which is stupid anyway. I don't think handhelds should be considered to be consoles, but at least this thread is providing some good arguments (mainly from Khuutra and D12lewis) so it's not all bad.

Not when the definition itself is invalid. The usage of the word "handheld" was improper. The very definition listed refers to PDAs, not anything designed to play video games. The relevant word was an adjective which makes the entire definition grammatically incorrect and thus entirely invalid. Unless you can think of a way to end the sentence without blowing your own argument our of the water the entire line of thought is useless.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I consider handhelds as "handheld consoles" still consoles imo.

Doobie_wop said:
    c0rd said:
    Doobie_wop said:
    kowenicki said:

NOUN

•  

I like 5.

But it's a lot less credible source that Oxford dictionaries online (this was already posted several posts back):

console 2 (con·sole)

Pronunciation:/ˈkänËŒsōl/
    noun
    • 1 a panel or unit accommodating a set of controls for electronic or mechanical equipment 
    • (also games console) a small electronic device for playing computerized video games
    • a cabinet for television or radio equipment
    • the cabinet or enclosure containing the keyboards, stops , pedals, etc., of an organ
    • a monitor and keyboard in a multiuser computer system
    • 2 an ornamented bracket with scrolls or corbel supporting a cornice, shelf, or tabletop
    • 3 a support between the seats of an automobile that has indentations for holding small items

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1235495?rskey=3aD3GW&result=2#m_en_us1235495

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

KylieDog said:

Same as a video game handheld is to a games console is to an arcade cabinet (and even a PC).  They all play games but are different devices.  They are not all consoles.

Arcades use consoles frequently too (Neo*Geo, CPS2, Naomi, Type X, etc), all a "console" is is a dedicated device for playing modular videogames.  That can be a home console, an arcade console, a portable console... but they're all consoles.

General multipurpose devices that can play games in addition to other core functions (ie: computers, phones, etc) are not consoles however.

Around the Network
    Doobie_wop said:
    c0rd said:
    Doobie_wop said:
    kowenicki said:

NOUN

•  

I like 5.

Uh, no, wiki's just about as credible as a layman forum opinion, largely because that's literally what the site is.  It's user generated.... hell, the "opinions of some people in this thread" are very likely what you're reading on it. ;)

There's a reason why universities, researchers and even the government won't recognize Wikipedia as a reliable source for information.  Hell, by Wikipedia's own reference standards, a site like their own in ineligible for citation on Wikipedia (lol).

jarrod said:
    Doobie_wop said:
    c0rd said:
    Doobie_wop said:
    kowenicki said:

NOUN

•  

I like 5.

Uh, no, wiki's just about as credible as a layman forum opinion, largely because that's literally what the site is.  It's user generated.... hell, the "opinions of some people in this thread" are very likely what you're reading on it. ;)

There's a reason why universities, researchers and even the government won't recognize Wikipedia as a reliable source for information.  Hell, by Wikipedia's own reference standards, a site like their own in ineligible for citation on Wikipedia (lol).

I was proven wrong like 6 posts ago, leave a man with at least some pride and dignity. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I agee.  To many a parent a handheld is something meant to keep kids busy when we are doing tasks that kids would complain. I for one dont know how my parents ever were able to take a road trip.  Kids DS fill the same function that a DVD player in a minivan/SUVserve.  Other than stuff like that and plane trips the DS's arent used.  We arent the only family like this that I know.  Kids get new software when we are planning a trip and usually we look for used software at Gamestop.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Handhelds are portable consoles. Why is this thread still going on?

IMU1808 said:

Handhelds are portable consoles. Why is this thread still going on?

DS is closer to beat the PS2 !