By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *PS3 Dead In America?*

Doobie_wop said:

I'm getting sick of people saying that the Wii didn't have any big releases this year, it's had heaps of titles released for it, the fact that they don't sell is the fault of the console and not the fault of it's competitors. 

No More Heroes 2
Tatsunoko VS Capcom: Ultimate All-stars
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Steel 2
Metroid: Other M
Sin & Punishment 2
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Monster Hunter Tri
Trauma Team

You call these "big releases?"

None of these are hardware movers, with the exception of (maybe) SMG2. Other M was an obvious flop, and MH only matters in Japan (the game just won't take off here). Most of the other games are niche (you can't say their predecessors were system sellers, except maybe Red Steel, which was a big disappointment). Metacritic means nothing, you wouldn't list a game like Bayonetta as a system seller for the 360 just because it scores high.

What matters is expectations, or the big budget games - the important ones to watch are Donkey Kong, Wii Party, and maybe Epic Mickey, NBA Jam, Goldeneye. These games should be heavily marketed, sell millions, and push hardware.

Around the Network
Silver-Tiger said:

The PS2 was and still is the best selling and most successful console ever. It's hard to improve on that performance.

Yet somehow PS2 improved on PS1, which to that point was the best selling and most successful console ever.

And really, Wii's sold better than PS2 had to the same point in it's cycle, and with fewer price drops.  Wii's likely the more profitable console too, given it never took a loss... really it depends on how you define "success".

Ps3 is not doing bad in Americas but its by far its Weakest region... Cant compete with 360 and wii There they are being crushed everyweek / month.

c0rd said:
Doobie_wop said:

I'm getting sick of people saying that the Wii didn't have any big releases this year, it's had heaps of titles released for it, the fact that they don't sell is the fault of the console and not the fault of it's competitors. 

No More Heroes 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Steel 2
Sin & Punishment 2
Monster Hunter Tri
Trauma Team

None of these are hardware movers, with the exception of (maybe) SMG2. Other M was an obvious flop, and MH only matters in Japan (the game just won't take off here). Most of the other games are niche (you can't say their predecessors were system sellers, except maybe Red Steel, which was a big disappointment). Metacritic means nothing, you wouldn't list a game like Bayonetta as a system seller for the 360 just because it scores high.

What matters is expectations, or the big budget games - the important ones to watch are Donkey Kong, Wii Party, and maybe Epic Mickey, NBA Jam, Goldeneye. These games should be heavily marketed, sell millions, and push hardware.

Outside of God of War 3, how many system sellers did the PS3 have this year? People aren't blaming the Wii decline on the lack of system sellers, they're blaming it on the lack of releases in general. Most of the exclusives that Sony released this year are also niche, some of them even more so than the Wii titles I listed before and most of the Sony releases had been new IPs. The Wii is in decline because it hit it's peak last year or it's in decline because the competition have improved upon their consoles both hardware and software wise and the consumer has taken notice. I don't believe the decline can be completely blamed on the lack of system sellers (which is Nintendo's fault and not the fault of the competition). I'm sure we'll see a rise in the coming holidays, but I doubt it's going to be as large as people want it to be.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

c0rd said:
Doobie_wop said:

No More Heroes 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Steel 2
Sin & Punishment 2
Monster Hunter Tri
Trauma Team

Another instance of Wii's inexplicable lack of 3rd party AAA games instead putting BBB and CCC games in their place under the microscope.  Dead Space would've never been looked at as the model for potential on the HD systems (and indeed, it undershot expectations upfront quite a bit) yet it's outsourced, genre-divergernt, hardly advertised Wii spinoff flopped and we had the industry chanting almost in unison "Wii can't sell hardcore games".  The double standards this generation are stupefying.

As for your upcoming titles, I'd drop NBA Jam now thanks to the usual EA sabotage.

Around the Network

This whole thread is pretty redundant IMHO.

One, the PS3 is clearly not dead in America since it is selling well enough there both HW and SW (not selling the most doesn't equal dead in business terms) which kind of makes the whole thing moot.

Two, the logic is wonky.  If Sony should pull out based on PS3 then MS would never even have launched a 360 after the losses and low sales of the Xbox.

Markets are volatile and with new waves of tech comes the chance for the pecking order to change.  Sony will see themselves as having every chance of taking back the lead next gen and will hardly quit on current sales.

I don't know why people bother with these kinds of discussions as if there is any real chance of PS3 dying in sales at this point or Sony withdrawing from the market - because there clearly isn't much chance of either.

US is simply a market where PS3 sells behind 360, EMEAA is a market where it's mostly sold the same (flattening out the highs/lows of both PS3 and 360) in a shorter time and in Japan it sells better.

US is simply a market where it sells better than PS3, EMEAA is a market where it's sold roughly the same (but took longer to do so) and Japan is a market where it sells worse than the PS3.

Considering their different launches overall both the PS3 and 360 are more or less neck and neck globally and have been since the beginning.  Hardy cause for one to quit I'd say irrespective of different regional skews.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

yeah and 360 should have pulled out when ps3 outsold it ww constantly after the ps3 slim release until the x360s came out / sarcasm

ps3 is doing just fine it's yearly sales are increasing as each year goes on, can't say the same thing for x360/wii they are on decline, x360s is just a bump for a while until sony makes it next move and x360 is running out of moves to pull so in the long run ps3 will win

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Well in Us it's settled Xbox360 has beaten PS3 , There is no doubt about that , But Xbox360 finishing No 1 above WII ?

I don't think so , Surprisingly now that all 3 consoles have solid sales with different rates , a Price cut to PS3 looks far away now , but it will work for Sony and push sales further , Still 3rd party will release on both consoles in order for their games to sell , The finish line is still distance away & there is still money to be made in Us market for all three major parties.

So I don't think PS3 is dead yet

This thread is more suited for XBOX and JAPAN seriously....

zgamer5 said:

its doing fine their. until the slim came out it was almost doing wha tthe 360 did.

this

it is not outselling anyone, but it is just too late, it is like this

Time to Work !