By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Malstrom thread 2: Revenge of the Lapsed Gamer

Another thread on Mr. Malstrom, as the first one is just glitchy in the response alerts. Also, his name isn't misspelled, for those of you wondering.

You don't have to agree with him, but let's at least try to be civil, and understand that some people just agree with the guy, and not because he said these things, but because they see where he is coming from.

Also, I don't know how to embed Youtube videos (used to, until the new posting system), so I'll just note where they are, and you have to click the links to see them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Americas/Japan is actually really misleading when looking at Zelda sales, because.... well I made a thread about this, hold on

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3625212

You don't have to click that, I'll explain the point here.

Zelda is actually growing steadily in America. Twilight Princess sold more in America than Ocarina, which did more than LoZ. EMEAA has seen much, much faster growth. The reason that the series seems stagnant overall is because it's been losing more and more appeal in Japan! Japan is the only problem region for console Zelda, whereas it's continued to grow in the West - individually and together.

Khuutra said:

Americas/Japan is actually really misleading when looking at Zelda sales, because.... well I made a thread about this, hold on

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3625212

You don't have to click that, I'll explain the point here.

Zelda is actually growing steadily in America. Twilight Princess sold more in America than Ocarina, which did more than LoZ. EMEAA has seen much, much faster growth. The reason that the series seems stagnant overall is because it's been losing more and more appeal in Japan! Japan is the only problem region for console Zelda, whereas it's continued to grow in the West - individually and together.

Well as long as the yen is this way, that is an issue they can't ignore. They need a game that appeals to all regions, the way NSMB and NSMBWii did.

On that note, I can see why Other M was likely a hopeful to help sales in Japan, but I still maintain the method and execution were totally wrong.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Well as long as the yen is this way, that is an issue they can't ignore. They need a game that appeals to all regions, the way NSMB and NSMBWii did.

On that note, I can see why Other M was likely a hopeful to help sales in Japan, but I still maintain the method and execution were totally wrong.

I agree, particularly concernign Other M. Phantom Hourglass was an excellent seller in Japan, though, so it's understandable why they did Spirit Tracks the way they did (even though it ended up falling relatively flat)

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I agree, particularly concernign Other M. Phantom Hourglass was an excellent seller in Japan, though, so it's understandable why they did Spirit Tracks the way they did (even though it ended up falling relatively flat)

It seems fancy vehicles was not how the appeal was increased.

So since there are only 4 of the games that sold a million in Japan, and those games were also hits elsewhere, it really is a good idea to look at what those did.

BTW, Twilight Princess only beats Ocarina and the first game in Americas if you combine both Wii and GC versions, so that is an iffy issue.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

So since there are only 4 of the games that sold a million in Japan, and those games were also hits elsewhere, it really is a good idea to look at what those did.

BTW, Twilight Princess only beats Ocarina and the first game in Americas if you combine both Wii and GC versions, so that is an iffy issue.

The problem is that finding a commonality between all of those games is very difficult.

As to Twilight: I'm willing to ignore this point on account of the overlap of people who own both versions is probably small.

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

The problem is that finding a commonality between all of those games is very difficult.

As to Twilight: I'm willing to ignore this point on account of the overlap of people who own both versions is probably small.

Those 4 games had the most action, with the fewest things that got in the way. Even Link's Awakening got in the way of the action at points.

You can put Youtube videos back like you used to be able to, actually, by clicking the little film reel on the reply form. You can also embed other videos by copying the embed code, clicking the little blue html logo on the reply form, and putting it in. The html form is dead useful, as it allows you to do many things, like changing font size and other stuff.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Those 4 games had the most action, with the fewest things that got in the way. Even Link's Awakening got in the way of the action at points.

This is kind of a fair point (though you mean five, not four), but Phantom Hourglass is the best-selling Zelda since Ocarina and has the least action of all games in the past twelve years.

LtNK, you have managed to make an invisible post.

How do you do that.