By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil May Cry - New Directions....

thoughtspeak said:
To give an analogy, the bayonetta engine is a Porsche that had a extremely bad driver on the ps3.
Unreal is more like a Honda civic, yes you trick it up and you can have a exceptional driver, but its still gonna be beat by a Porsche 9 times out of ten

It seems like NT are using Unreal for their past experience in animation, motion capture, etc. i think i'll wait until i see the final product until i make a decision on how it performs. although NT did have some problems with it which were evident in Enslaved.

i'm not sure what Kamiya meant, the article infers he would take over from NT if Capcom decided to give it to Platinum. i'm not claiming to know what he meant, but a few articles have reported the same thing, which would suggest he would take over from NT if given the oppertunity.

Around the Network

I'm really looking forward to DMC, never been much of a Devil May Cry fan and DMC4 was extremely boring, so any big changes at the hands of Ninja Theory is welcomed.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

A203D said:
darkknightkryta said:

60FPS is nice and all, but the eye sees normal motion at 24fps.  You can go higher, but you're not gonna know the difference unless you do that comparison as above (Though Bayonetta's PS3 problem was more of a choppiness lag of having the RSX read the system ram for data).  If Bayonetta on the PS3's framerate was locked at 24+ without the stuttering you'd only really know the difference if you put them side by side.  So even if this DMC is at 30 fps, as long as it doesn't go lower you'll still have a smooth game.  But 60fps is nice.  Hell Vanquished is at less than 30fps and that game runs great.

This is actully a good point. i cant tell the difference at about 24 FPS, but i did notice some lag on my PS3 version of Bayonetta when there was a lot going on on screen. so i think 30 FPS will be perfectely acceptable. and its understandable because NT are probabily using UE3 for animation, paricle effects, motion capture advantages, etc. so the graphics capabilities of UE3 wont go unnoticed imo. however i sure as hell hope NT can code it better than Enslaved, the PS3 version had very noticable screen tearing.

If this new "DMC" is 30FPS then it will be just as bad as the PS3 Version of Beyonetta I love betonetta but the 30FPS killed the speed of the Action on the PS3 Version,  Hack and Slash has to be 60FPs to make the high speed action as smooth as possible if a Hack & Slash game is not 60FPS it should not be mad at all!!!!!!!!

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

a series of articles explaining why fans are mad and some of the more baffling (and infuriating) comments by CAPCOM and NT:

http://captainstarball.com/opinion/devil-may-cry-fan-explains-backlash

A203D said:
darkknightkryta said:

Holy shit if that's true this game has just went from "Possibly rent if well recieved" to "I'm hiding this game behind Bayonetta if I see it in a store."  Honestly gun juggling is what made Devil May Cry what it is.

This actully sounds good to me. it means the gameplay will be primarily designed around melee attacks. how many times in DMC did you have to wait for the boss to come to you - or how the boss is out of reach. for example that snake thing from DMC4, or Cerberus from DMC3. the point those parts would feature too much reliance on the guns, where you could spend a really long time standing there and shooting the enemy from a distance. so i'll wait to see how it works, but it seems reasonable to me that they want to encourage the player to engage the enemy is melee combat, rather than shooting them from a distance. but still maintaining gunplay - sword mehcanics.

If you stood back and did nothing but shoot at Cerberus you don't deserve to play Devil May Cry.  Gun play is to enhance sword play and give you an in-between when you're dodging an enemy.  Hell in Devil May Cry 3 they for the most part punish you if you stay to far away from an enemy, plus your basic dual pistols do so little damage in a boss fight and forces you to melee.

Around the Network

DMC dont need a reboot at all and changing everything that make dante dante is even worst , we have unanswered questions about DMC and they are making a reboot ,changing the game in something that was never the original idea.

this game is death already, capcom is making huge mistakes and ninja theory need to make a franchise of their own ,
all the ideas that Ninja theory is having for this DMC5 are great for a new franchise but not for a game that people already know .
DMC needs more deep with the game mechanics that already have, the game just need to improvement not change .

Aiddon, i've read the first section, i'm proceeding to read the rest now. but again i have the same problem. these fans who are complaining about Dante's westernised approach did nothing when Capcom westerinsed his design in DMC4. he looks nothing like Dante from DMC3. yet how these fans are missing this i dont know.

besides, i dont think fans can be trusted, look at the sales of Resident Evil 5, eveything that RE4 achieved in survival horror was thrown in the trash, and yet still Capcom fans defend it and bought over 5 mil copies of it. i call myself a mug for being among them, but i trusted Capcom when i bought RE5, they sold me and every RE4 fan out so they could bring in the COD, Gears fanbase. same thing with the approach of DMC4's Dante.

so my point is how many of these fans finished DMCs 1-4, how many of them S-ranked every mission. because its as clear as day Capcom has always targetted a western fanbase, my point is a lot of people are targetting Ninja Theory, yet Capcom would have done this anyway, only they wouldve got a different developer to do it!

darkknightkryta said:

If you stood back and did nothing but shoot at Cerberus you don't deserve to play Devil May Cry.  Gun play is to enhance sword play and give you an in-between when you're dodging an enemy.  Hell in Devil May Cry 3 they for the most part punish you if you stay to far away from an enemy, plus your basic dual pistols do so little damage in a boss fight and forces you to melee.

This is why it will be encouraged to use melee when your guns overheat/lock. if your not intending to spam gunplay the lock up feature dosent sound like a problem.

this is what i mean with Cerberus:

if you look at parts 1.27, 3.11, 3.31.

these are the problems i had, the sword attacks constantly missed when i fought it. everytime you get near it, it repels you away. you cant get behind it, or around its side. the guy who fights it can never build up a combo ranking against it, because his melee attacks are too intermitten. that particular boss fight wasnt as bad, but the point i'm making is in DMC games, there are points where you can rely on the guns too much. or where the boss is too distant and you have to wait for it to come to you. and yes the guy does land hits with his sword, but at the cost of getting hit, remember if you get hit once, it lowers your ranking.

my point is the overheating feature isnt that bad.

more proof that NT's slurs against Dante's old design are, well, just slurs. Guess who's on Capcom's 2012 heroes calendar?

http://kotaku.com/5813522/heroes-or-enormous-butts-you-decide/gallery/6