By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - how reliably is vgcharts??

Can anyone answer these questions for me.

1. How do they get there sales information.

2. Are the game sales even accurate.

3. The hardware sales seem to be off from what other sights have been saying. if the other sights are telling the truth then why haven't vgc changed there own charts .

4. How do we know if something is being under-tracked or over-tracked.

If anybody can answer these questions for me that would be great. 

Around the Network

haha i made a horrible error in the title "reliably" should be "reliable"

i should probably proof read before i hit post haha

I don't have answers to your questions, but is English your native language?

Yer I would like to know these things to but vgchartz is where I come whenever I need games sales info

Data is collected from select retail sources and then extrapolated on a national (regional) level. 

This is the same thing that NPD, Chart Track-GfK, Famitsu and Media Create do.  Because all tracking firms use sampling (extrapolations and algorithms) and cannot track sales on an individual per unit basis, a margin of error exists for all of them.  Because of this, none of them are "correct".  

Also to keep in mind, Sony, MS and Nintendo report shipment figures every quarter.   These figures will always differ from the tracking firms (including VGC) because they track consumer sales and a gap will exist between product on store shelves, in wharehouses and in transit (games are usually shipped in container ships....and that takes a minimum of 2 weeks).

So how accurate is VGC?  Let's just say that it gets more accurate every day as the sample data grows and the algorithms are tweaked.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

haha yeah i know this is a very rough article, i should probably edit it. 

Viper1 said:

Data is collected from select retail sources and then extrapolated on a national (regional) level. 

This is the same thing that NPD, Chart Track-GfK, Famitsu and Media Create do.  Because all tracking firms use sampling (extrapolations and algorithms) and cannot track sales on an individual per unit basis, a margin of error exists for all of them.  Because of this, none of them are "correct".  

Also to keep in mind, Sony, MS and Nintendo report shipment figures every quarter.   These figures will always differ from the tracking firms (including VGC) because they track consumer sales and a gap will exist between product on store shelves, in wharehouses and in transit (games are usually shipped in container ships....and that takes a minimum of 2 weeks).

So how accurate is VGC?  Let's just say that it gets more accurate every day as the sample data grows and the algorithms are tweaked.

that makes sense, thanks

you can get all of your answers from neo gaf

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Viper1 said:

Thats funny since it seems to be getting less accurate for ps3 as time goes on, every quarter the difference between shipped and VGs sold ps3s is bigger and bigger, according to VG Sony has been over shipping for over a year now and thats just not possible, so it's obviously not tracking ps3 right for some reason or tweaking it to make it more accurate