By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - how reliably is vgcharts??

Well, I think they are trying as much as possible to be accurate, but I have two takes on accuracy of numbers here:

- VGCHARTZ seems most of the time way off from  the shipped numbers reported by Sony, it is not shipped vs. sold story again because the difference is huge.

- The adjustment few months ago for 360 by adding one million unit due to under tracking the 360 sales in Scandinavian countries 4 years ago. This put a big dent in being confident about numbers here.

Around the Network
rf40928 said:
theonewhoisme said:
rf40928 said:
theonewhoisme said:
Carl2291 said:
theonewhoisme said:

Estimates isn't randomly making up numbers, and it's better then having and displaying a number you know is way off, think of it this way, if your designing an airplane and there is a variable you have no way of measuring are you going to ignore it and risk letting the plane crash, or give your best guess and compensate?

You can't estimate if you have no idea where to begin your estimations.

It could sell 10000 weekly in an untracked region or it could sell 20000 weekly. Then again, it could sell 1000 weekly... Big difference there. You can't just "estimate" when you have no baseline/data to begin your estimation on. Like I said earlier, ioi doesn't yet have the ability/resources to track certain regions. When he does... I can pretty much guarantee the numbers will be changed accordingly.

Until then though... I suggest you check NPD, Gfk, Famitsu and MediaCreate's numbers. Then take a look at VGC numbers for the same regions. There isn't that much difference when you look at lifetime figures. 

it has Sony's shipped numbers doesn't it, a few calculations (like compare their shipped from one year to the next which both are already over and then minus the amount VG got for it) and you can get a decent estimate of how much their selling in those areas, it would still be inaccurate but it would only be off by maybe half a million at most instead of 2 million plus

As time goes on and trends get older its more accurate.. the PS3's lacking sales have been underpeforming since launch.. that can't be changed..

Yea you're right, estimates will be off by max 500k units for PS3 !  you're not going to be off by TWO MILLION !! HAHA..  Those Sony executives and fan boys are really grabbing at air.. they would rather be within 3 million units of the xbox instead of the nearing ( once again ) 6 million by years end..

Lets look at some basic things.. Software sales also tell the story of console sales.After these are gaming consoles... More consoles out there means more games are sold.. pretty basic.. The wii has more consoles so its ways ahead of 360 in software..  the 360 is a WHOPPING 120 million units ahead of the PS3 in GAMES alone ! 120 million ! Does that sound like the Xbox is only 3 million consoles ahead?

How come the PS3 best seller ( COD MW2 ) only sold 8 million, its second best seller GTA sold 6.7 million.. by contrast.. Xbox 360's best seller (COD MW2 ) sold 11.5 million and 360's number two Halo 3 sold 11.16 Million.. In fact Xb360's top 10 games probably outsold PS3's top 20 combined..

Game sales are pretty darn accurate and they say PS3 is in last place.. No one seems to disagree with PS2's great numbers?

You aren't factoring in the fact that the 360 had a year head start, that adds alot more to games then it does to hardware, Sony has outsold the 360 in software sales a few times now atleast one of them was over a whole year (and only that year), thats with VG putting it at 6 million behind, how exactly is that possible? 

EDIT: I thought you might want a link http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-software-sales-outstrip-xbox-360s-ps3-attach-rate-up-to-8-1-3807/ so in 2009 ps3 had more software sales then the 360, not by much, but the 360 was obviously ahead in sales by some amount due to their year head start 

The problem is Xbox 360's first YEAR they only sold about 25-30 million games.. so that means they weren't very far ahead in game sales when the PS3 was launched ( at the time titles weren't exactly oozing from all places as they were getting started and argulably the PS3 has just a smany titles or more on their launch because developers started developing for both consoles around the same time, but PS3 launch was delayed ) .. Fast forward to now .. the 360 library has about 150 more titles then the PS3's ..which shatters another well placed Sony marketing scheme that there aren't many game choices on the 360 which is bogus.. So subtract the games 360 sold the first year and they are still near mid-90 million game units ahead .. not too shabby..

The Xbox 360 ships to places like the congo area which are hard to track as well.. so does the Wii..  The problem is Sony says they shipped this, but they can be stored for weeks or months not moving volume.. this was the case where I live where Sony was saying publicly that Christmas sales were lagging because they couldnt ship enough - yet there are all these units sitting on walmart floors not selling.. What is shipped by Sony, MS, Ninendo doesnt equal what is sold..

Anyone can argue this, but Im going to say by end of fiscal year shipments versus units sold are pretty solid.. So at the end of that fiscal year they can actually see what was sold in dollars and cents.. We have how many fiscal years of underwhleming Sony sales?   Its time for fanboys to face it.. the PS3 will never be the PS2 and its been rumored Sony is burning the midnight oil trying to get their new console out alittle before MS this time.. What did the PS3 have in common with the PS2 ? Not the launch... The PS2 launched 1.5 yrs ahead of the gamecube and nearly 2 yrs before the Xbox 1.. Wow.. No wonder they dominated after the strong lnauch of PS1 !  PS3 is different - lets see launched LATE, launched EXPENSIVE with a media disc which was not YET a standard like DVD... all great combinations for success suicide.. And now somehow fans want a recount ? Lets get real ! 

Releasing a year later has more advantages then just what happened in that year, more time for game to go down in price, more time for developers to work on games, more time to advertise ect. ect. so just removing the first years sales doesn't make it a fair comparison, it would be more fair to remove the last years sales, that way you can compare them both after equal time on the market, instead of giving the 360 the unfair advantage, as for games 360 doesn't have 150 more games (unless you count indie titles as in homemade that you pay for the package) it has 40 more exclusives and I've heard of less of them then I have ps3 exclusives and if I take a random one I haven't heard of and check sales its 0.07 mil, lets try another one, 0.07 again, another one 0.02 ouch, now lets try a few ps3 ones I never heard of, does this site not track Japanese games or something, everyone I haven't heard of doesn't even come up in the search, hold on let me try a few more, okay 0.21 mil, 0.18 and 0.30, also almost all genres besides shooters seem to sell more on ps3 so I can easily see ps3 selling more over a year as for your mentions on how sony handled the ps3, you are right from a sales perspective it wasn't very good but personally I'm glad they went the way the did, I get a working system with unique games and blu ray which helps the games be better, though I do think they would have been better off waiting another year to launch, then they wouldn't get these direct comparisons and wouldn't have had such a high price point

Frank_kc said:

Well, I think they are trying as much as possible to be accurate, but I have two takes on accuracy of numbers here:

- VGCHARTZ seems most of the time way off from  the shipped numbers reported by Sony, it is not shipped vs. sold story again because the difference is huge.

- The adjustment few months ago for 360 by adding one million unit due to under tracking the 360 sales in Scandinavian countries 4 years ago. This put a big dent in being confident about numbers here.

THANK YOU, is it so hard for people to open their eyes, wait, last 360 shipment report VG was about .3 mil behind the shipped numbers, if the mistake was 4 years ago, that means VG thinks the 360 sold more then it shipped, yeah I have even less faith now 

Another thread with sony fans whining. Seriously you should be prepared for more "bad" news in the upcoming months instead of hiding your heads in the sand.

If you don't like VGchartz then let's fous on official numbers from OBJECTIVE SOURCES (like NPD, MC, Chartrack whenever we get CT numbers) . I have no problem with that but focusing on ....sony's "shipment" numbers...NO WAY, simple as that.