By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to sell 50m through retail by end of 2010? Lets track it......

Poor starving trolls.  A freeze spell and Grace the Warhammer would be more humane.

50 million.  Who saw that coming?  Nooo u diden.  A lot depends on Kinect.  The ad campaign should be kicking off.  I haven't seen much for Lionhead's latest either.  Maybe I'm watching the wrong channels.   Ads and bundles for the multi-plat shooters could help a bit.  After all the 360 is for shooting stuff.  There, I said it and my head didn't explode like after I spawned in Red Dead.  

Here's an ad idea; College Geek 1. "Kinect! What were you thinking?"  Co-eds next door hear the music and a party breaks out. Cut to CG2's inevitable thumbs up, wink and self-satisfied double-nod.  Ohhh Yeaahh. Orrr not.  How about Cheerleaders/Acrobats next door see if the cam can catch their best moves.  Open-mouthed geeks hug the wall, sweat lightly and tap long-necked bottles while their heads track the action.  'Kinect, it's not just for girls!'   nah, sexist, dated...I'll work on that but 'Kinect Effect' would initiate lawsuits.  Maybe make fun of the disclaimer... ' Your performance may vary...'  too perv.

l still think EMEAA will be a bit more affected by economics than the U.S. and Can. this holiday.  M$ may need to push 2/3 of those boxes in Am.  I will offer liquid libation to the Gods of Retail,  hear me WaaalMaaart, Gaayymmstopp and Maaayyyceeee I offer this elixir of barley for your intervention. Well I tried the more traditional deities and never got that pellet rifle!  It's worth a shot.  Bookmarked this thread. 

Around the Network
Makaha said:
binary solo said:
Seece said:
Makaha said:

well, there is a factor in the 360 reaching 50 million--

if Nintendo does cut the price on the Wii, it will KILL Kinect sales

so a Wii price cut would do two things: increase Wii hardware sales, AND destroy Kinect sales

I'm not saying that Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii.

I'm saying that if Nintendo did cut the price of the Wii, parents would see a $ 150 Wii versus a $ 300 KInect bundle.  Which one do you think they will buy?

Especially in this economy.

It would absolutely kill Kinect.

Personally, I think Nintendo would be dumb not to cut the price, and soon.

I honestly think if Nintendo cut the Wii price, MS will monitor first 3 weeks of sale and if it's not as they'd hope, they'll cut for black friday.

In which case Sony will have little choice but to do the same. Though it means sacrificing profitability, Sony still need to balance profits and market share due to how this generation started for them and how it's played out up to now.

so you think if the Wii dropped in price, both Sony and MS would follow?

all I know for sure is that if Nintendo drops the price of the Wii before Kinect launces, Kinect is DEAD!

end of story

Yes and no if Wii cuts price first. Sony won't drop PS3 price before mid-2011 unless it has to, and it will only feel the pressure to do so if both 360 and Wii drop in price. Another $50 cut for Wii would change the market a fair bit. But as Sony sees the 360 as its main competition for sales (see PS3 at end of 2009 have record sales despite Wii also having massive sales at the end of 2009), and it obviously doesn't see the Move/motion controls as being it's major sales driver, then a Wii only price drop won't have Sony shaking in its boots and rushing into a price cut. MS on the other hand seem to be pegging a great holiday sales period on Kinect, so a Wii price cut may be percieved as a potential threat to Kinect bringing in a large number of new owners to 360: Kinect will sell fairly well to the existing base regardless, but a $150 Wii (must add to this at least 1 extra Wiimote for 2-player) would be a big gap to the Arcade Kinect Bundle, so it would definitely get some people who are weighing up Kinect vs Wii for Christmas to go with Wii. So if MS feel like they need to shore up pricing for Kinect success there could be a price cut, either on 360 or just the Kinect/Kinect bundles. If MS goes for the 360 price cut then Sony will probably follow suit. If MS only drops Kinect to $100 then Sony will probably leave things the way they are. If MS do nothing, confident that Kinect is well positioned even against a $150 Wii then Sony obviously won't make any changes either.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

This is an interesting thread, i'll be checking back periodically for the results, seems like it'll reach 50 million...Kinect wil be the money shot. Thanks for the tracking Kowenicki.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

kowenicki said:

only 28k ahead now....  will fall behind from next week.

kinect need to connect.

Being honest, isn't this what most of us EXPECTED to happen in October?  I'm surprised its stayed ahead of the pace this long to be honest.  Fable III might cause a slight bump, but year its all up to Kinect holiday bump.  With no GT5, who knows what will happen now . . .

it certainly has a very good chance with the lineup of games and with kinect.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

The chart is getting fuzzier by the week kowen!!!

It'll go under by 100k before Kinect hits, then take a couple of weeks to gian traction and get back on top. Still think it's doable!

It should hopefully be one week down culmulatively and then the following week will hopefully be up. Fingers crossed on Kinect launch in USA.

Tease.

LTD  @ 16-10-10 | 43.989.750

Actual LTD @ 16-10-10 | 43.915.284

Cumulative @ 16-10-10 -74.466

Interesting thread. Saw it a few weeks ago and was looking for it yesterday. Posting to bookmark. I'll be following as the weeks go by :)

Seece said:
Makaha said:
Seece said:
Makaha said:

well, there is a factor in the 360 reaching 50 million--

if Nintendo does cut the price on the Wii, it will KILL Kinect sales

so a Wii price cut would do two things: increase Wii hardware sales, AND destroy Kinect sales

I'm not saying that Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii.

I'm saying that if Nintendo did cut the price of the Wii, parents would see a $ 150 Wii versus a $ 300 KInect bundle.  Which one do you think they will buy?

Especially in this economy.

It would absolutely kill Kinect.

Personally, I think Nintendo would be dumb not to cut the price, and soon.

I honestly think if Nintendo cut the Wii price, MS will monitor first 3 weeks of sale and if it's not as they'd hope, they'll cut for black friday.

I don't know about that....

That would make Microsoft look really bad....

Here they are, marketing and releasing a brand new product--Kinect--at a price they'll already state in commercials (in the next month or so).  And now, after the Wii cuts the price, MS will say in commercials "we are dropping the price!!"

That would look really bad ,

to me anyway

Well I know what you mean, it will look like a failed product, legally though they won't be allowed to even call it a price cut after 3 weeks (at least in this country, product needs to have had the previous price for at least 3 months, IIRC) so I imagine the majority of people Kinect is actually aimed at will think no less than "oh that's nice, the price has gone down!", the people that bought it in the first 3 weeks would get a rebate/refund on their money more than likely. Anyway I was actually talking about the 360 getting a price cut not Kinect. Of which they havn't cut the arcade price in 2 years now.

the thing about Kinect is....

the way life works is....

well if you go back to before the Wii released, everyone said that the Wii will be a huge huge failure, it is doomed, and  they laughed at the Wii, and look at what happened?  The Wii was an incredible success

Now, before Kinect releases, everyone is saying Kinect will be a huge gigantic success and sell tons of 360s....

so if you look at the trend, you can see what's going to happen, life is just unpredictable.....

It's just setting everyone up for big disappointment....

the Kinect software lineup is very weak, and it just doesn't have a killer app like the Wii had with Wii Sports

it may push some hardware in the beginning because of the new-ness, but unless the Kinect experience is extremely COMPELLING, Kinect sales will fade fast

people are just setting themselves up fro major disappointment