By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to sell 50m through retail by end of 2010? Lets track it......

GuiltySpartan77 said:

I wonder what it will sell next year lol. im gonna go and guess at the end of 2011 the 360 will have something around 60-65 million consoles sold. Im assuming MS is going to do a Price Cut sense they haven't done one in a while now and maybe even lower the price of the Kinect sense it does cost around 50 to make. So if MS plays there cards right next year like they did this year They could have another healthy year. 

Agreed. I think MS will definitely lower prices on the 360 this year bringing the price of entry down very close to $200-$250. Couple that with continuing momentum due to Kinect and I think 2011 will beat 2010 for sales.

I think 360 will end 2010 at 50.6M units worldwide, which means it sold about 13.6M in 2010. My guess is in 2011 they sell a nice healthy 15M so end the year at about 65.5M worldwide. 

I think PS3 will end the year at about 60M worldwide.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Squilliam said:
d21lewis said:

Tagged.  Gotta read this one later.

Tagged. This will make sure you read this.

I didn't read it.  You failed.

If at first you don't succeed, try again.

Tease.

NotStan said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

I wonder what it will sell next year lol. im gonna go and guess at the end of 2011 the 360 will have something around 60-65 million consoles sold. Im assuming MS is going to do a Price Cut sense they haven't done one in a while now and maybe even lower the price of the Kinect sense it does cost around 50 to make. So if MS plays there cards right next year like they did this year They could have another healthy year. 

Imo 2011 could well be 360 peak year, if they slash the price of 250GB SKU's to $199 and price of 4GB SKU's to around ~$125, adding kinect bundle into the mix for around ~$75 when coming with additional console, it could cause serious damage. I think it all primarily comes down to what MS will release for Kinect next year, if it's a serious mix of core titles and party titles, it will succeed by taking two birds down with one stone - the cores and casuals.

Dramatic slashes I know, but it seems like all 3 consoles are likely to cut prices next year, with maybe an exception of Sony as it still was barely into double digit profits last time they reported their manufacturing costs, so the competition will be fierce, through some walmart gift cards into the mix(Even 20$) and the next holiday will be entertaining with meltdowns on all sides as sales will keep jumping all over the place, although I think that Wii might have it's best holiday yet if the price is slashed.

The last price cut was in August of 2008.  IF they wait until August to cut again, that will be a full THREE YEARS between price cuts.  Add the fact that they did a full system redesign without cutting the price already and the reality of what they can do in 2011 becomes apparent:  a Kinect bundle at $199.  That would be Kinect dropping to $99, the 4gb console dropping to $149 and 250gb dropping to $250 (or possibly $199).  And that, folks, is only a $50 price cut on current prices.  Is there ANYONE out there that doesn't think MS can do this next year?

So will this be the peak year of the 360?  I say no.  2011, by all intents and purposes, should be.  Kinect/redesign effect lasting from now to early spring with late summer to holiday benefiting off of a price cut.  I know this isn't a prediction thread for 2011 (so expect to see this repeated elsewhere), but I'm just complementing the two quoted posts.  63-65 million come the end of 2011 is more than possible.

Darth Tigris said:
NotStan said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

Imo 2011 could well be 360 peak year, if they slash the price of 250GB SKU's to $199 and price of 4GB SKU's to around ~$125, adding kinect bundle into the mix for around ~$75 when coming with additional console, it could cause serious damage. I think it all primarily comes down to what MS will release for Kinect next year, if it's a serious mix of core titles and party titles, it will succeed by taking two birds down with one stone - the cores and casuals.

Dramatic slashes I know, but it seems like all 3 consoles are likely to cut prices next year, with maybe an exception of Sony as it still was barely into double digit profits last time they reported their manufacturing costs, so the competition will be fierce, through some walmart gift cards into the mix(Even 20$) and the next holiday will be entertaining with meltdowns on all sides as sales will keep jumping all over the place, although I think that Wii might have it's best holiday yet if the price is slashed.

The last price cut was in August of 2008.  IF they wait until August to cut again, that will be a full THREE YEARS between price cuts.  Add the fact that they did a full system redesign without cutting the price already and the reality of what they can do in 2011 becomes apparent:  a Kinect bundle at $199.  That would be Kinect dropping to $99, the 4gb console dropping to $149 and 250gb dropping to $250 (or possibly $199).  And that, folks, is only a $50 price cut on current prices.  Is there ANYONE out there that doesn't think MS can do this next year?

So will this be the peak year of the 360?  I say no.  2011, by all intents and purposes, should be.  Kinect/redesign effect lasting from now to early spring with late summer to holiday benefiting off of a price cut.  I know this isn't a prediction thread for 2011 (so expect to see this repeated elsewhere), but I'm just complementing the two quoted posts.  63-65 million come the end of 2011 is more than possible.

They are making money, they will not cut of $100 on anything except maaaybe the 399 bundle, $100 is just an act of desperation. My guess would be kinect stays the same, 360 get a price drop, probably $20 on arcade bundle and $50 on the HDD bundle, kinect bundles (not stand alone) will probably get a drops too, how big i cant tell though.

edit another million, with out japan this time.... kinda insane to think it can  do it with out one of the old major regions

its also kinda insane the level of consumerism the americas have in december.  as said above i had doubts about 50 mill this year, and knew the 360 was approaching the low end of a lifetime i projected in 2007, but now who knows where it will top out.

i still believe if  anew console is pushed out before 2012 it will be very bad for the industry. and vie felt that 1016 would be the latest. 2014 i think will be a prime year now, the longest generation, due to an early replacement of the prior generation (i maintain both the 360 and the ps3 came out to early, and it hurt both consoles, though probably hindered the ps3 more then the 360), and the hardware revisions and growth of console features.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
NotStan said:
AnveL said:

no need to track, sure it will reach it cause of crazy american supporting.. xD

it's a 100% confirm over 50M by end of 2010, so don't worry.. xDD

State the obvious with 2 weeks of sales to go..

This thread was made 3 months ago,BEFORE kinect was released - ie before we knew what impact it would have on the worldwide sales, as it stands I don't think 360 would have made it over the 50M mark this year without Kinect.

Kinect has been accepted well and I think we have not seen the peak year for 360 yet. Next year with a Kinect/360 bundle price cut things can get interesting. I think there will be more games to surface after the sales of kinect this years.

mundus6 said:
Darth Tigris said:
NotStan said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

They are making money, they will not cut of $100 on anything except maaaybe the 399 bundle, $100 is just an act of desperation. My guess would be kinect stays the same, 360 get a price drop, probably $20 on arcade bundle and $50 on the HDD bundle, kinect bundles (not stand alone) will probably get a drops too, how big i cant tell though.

I think a bundled 360/kinect price cut will happen.$250 4GB-$350 250GB. $150 was just to make sure that if it flopped it didn't cost them to much in the end. looks like they made a good amount of money and by sept. manufactoring cost will go down for kinect. so I think stand alone will be cut by 25 or 50 dollars. We will see though.  your right 100 will not happen. Next year I predict 15 million in sales or more for 360. So 65 or more

Looks like we made it and next week will make it an adjustment proof feat. Haha, good work Kowen!

Anyway heres to the next year, so what should we go for? Will Xbox 360 reach 65M by the end of 2011?

Tease.

65m? Seems like a bit optimistic :p, 62.5-63M seems like a reasonable goal, but doesn't sound ANYWHERE as cool, Let's go with 65 x),

I admit, I doubted 360s ability to break a million this year, and it proved me wrong.. Twice lol.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Cool, thanks Kowen.

Tease.