By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Details on Donkey Kong Country Returns

Khuutra said:
wfz said:
Khuutra said:
noname2200 said:

I don't know how much Retro's artists get paid, but they certainly earn every penny.

Hasn't it always been so? Aren't they dreamy?

No. The artists don't deserve shit for Metroid Prime 2.

^_^

You and I are going to have a fight

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
wfz said:
Khuutra said:
noname2200 said:

I don't know how much Retro's artists get paid, but they certainly earn every penny.

Hasn't it always been so? Aren't they dreamy?

^_^

I'm going to one up him and say this game does not appeal to me, visually, at all. The DKC aesthetic has been flawed since its inception, and while the ugly pre-rendered sprites are now gone, the move to 3D sadly has not helped the stiff, unnatural animation and lackluster enemy design.

Misleading Thread Title

I was expecting some cool bits of information..... not an awesome groundbreaking trailer!!!

And also... I hate you Nintendo, you're trying to steal my money by having too many platformers this year, I mean, Kirby, Epic Mickey, and now this.... it's tied with epic mickey as my most hyped platforemer

Helios said:
Khuutra said:
wfz said:

^_^

I'm going to one up him and say this game does not appeal to me, visually, at all. The DKC aesthetic has been flawed since its inception, and while the ugly pre-rendered sprites are now gone, the move to 3D sadly has not helped the stiff, unnatural animation and lackluster enemy design.

Heretics! Heretics on all sides! I am being swarmed!

Khuutra said:

Burn them with fire!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Helios said:
Khuutra said:
wfz said:

^_^

As an aside, I was going to refer to Miyamoto, but it turns out he said the oposite of what I wanted: "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

What the---?

For the record, I am still likely to get the game. I was never sold on DKC when I was younger so I will wait and see how it plays before making up my mind.

Helios said:
Khuutra said:

As an aside, I was going to refer to Miyamoto, but it turns out he said the oposite of what I wanted: "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

What the---?

For the record, I am still likely to get the game. I was never sold on DKC when I was younger so I will wait and see how it plays before making up my mind.

You know, Miyamoto said in an Iwata Asks that that quote was actually falsely attributed to him, and that he enjoyed Donkey Kong Country.

I myself have only played DKC seriously in the past year or so. It's.... very different from Super Mario Bros. in a lot of ways.

Did he? I knew he later retracted his statement and admitted to working closely with the developers during the design of the game, much like he is now, and my use of that quote was largely facetious.

Do you remember during which Iwata Asks this was said?

I'll look for it. I have the sinking feeling it was in the E3 version, so it will take a while.

Found it. Turned out it wasn't an Iwata Asks at all.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1100039p3.html

The important part:

IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?

Miyamoto:
The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

Mystery solved!