By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More 3ds specs leaked

haxxiy said:

These specs are way too low for what the hardware is showing unless Nintendo and Capcom divulged some bullshots. It does not compare well even towards the 6-year old PSP. Unless, of course, there's much more packed under these designs and clock rates than it seems at first.

2 CPUs at that clock speed, for starters, that alone makes direct numerical comparisons spotty

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Its a little weaker than I expected but then again since it is indeed Nintendo, it will always be a little weaker than expected.

Tease.

Pricing for the 3DS will be interesting...

I mean, Apple who mark up their products and have huge profit margins can release Ipod Touch 4G for 229 (8 GB model), which on paper is much more sophisticated than the 3DS.

I think Nintendo should be able to let this go for 199 and still make a profit.

Derixs said:

The Arm 11 specs dont make much sense unless Nintendo scalled them back a lot. Direct specs form Arm's website. Just doing some research. I am still getting this damn thing day 1!

ARM11 Processor Family

The ARM11™ processor family provides the engine that powers most smartphones in production today; it is also widely used in consumer, home, and embedded applications. It delivers extreme low power and a range of performance from 350 MHz in small area designs up to 1 GHz in speed optimized designs in 45 and 65 nm. ARM11 processor software is compatible with all previous generations of ARM processors, and introduces 32-bit SIMD for media processing, physically tagged caches to improve OS context switch performance, TrustZone for hardware-enforced security, and tightly coupled memories for real-time applications.

direct link http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/index.php

Edited: After reading more on the ARM11 this could also have multiple cores 1-4 cores per chip.
"1 to 4 cores in an SMP cluster with ARM11 MPCore™"

As I posted earlier those specs are probably inccorect. the ARM11 "starts" at 350 MHz...

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

Mr Khan said:
haxxiy said:

These specs are way too low for what the hardware is showing unless Nintendo and Capcom divulged some bullshots. It does not compare well even towards the 6-year old PSP. Unless, of course, there's much more packed under these designs and clock rates than it seems at first.

2 CPUs at that clock speed, for starters, that alone makes direct numerical comparisons spotty

The PSP also had 2 CPUs (one of them lacked vectors, but still...)

Around the Network
scottie said:
zarx said:
Nintendogamer said:

So this is like GBA to DS in terms of WOW, lot of memory indeed :o, more so than Wii lol.

I think the Wii has it beat 

Well yeah, Nintendo would never make the 3DS as powerful as the Wii. what they likely have been aiming for is to make it able to play Wii games with no reduction in quality. Even taking into account the two screens, the 3DS will still output less pixels than the Wii does, and thus it can play the same games with the same effects and amount of stuff on screen using less powerful components.

actually considering the the fact that the 3DS has a duel core and a modern GPU added to the fact the memory is probably faster and the increased speed of loading from flash memory vs a DVD. Real world performance of the 3DS is probably = to slightly more powerful than the Wii.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

haxxiy said:
Mr Khan said:
haxxiy said:

The CPU is used just to power the multimedia functions.  It's not a gaming CPU at all.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
haxxiy said:
Mr Khan said:
haxxiy said:

The CPU is used just to power the multimedia functions.  It's not a gaming CPU at all.

Speaking of specs, I've had these two theories about Resident Evil 4 on the PS2:

• It had reduced graphics due to the GPU not being compatible with texture compression (even though the texturing otherwise was just as good).
  • That the reason cut scenes were FMVs was that the GC used part of the 16MB of sound memory (which some said had to be excess due to the channels only taking up 6MB at most) as a way to store data read off the disc for quick loading, thus allowing quick loading of success or failure scenes, and the PS2 could not pull that off.
  • Can you tell me if either of those is correct (or close)?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Viper1 said:
    haxxiy said:
    Mr Khan said:
    haxxiy said:

Indeed but one would figure out an eight-generation  handheld like the 3DS should sustain some features besides gaming. In these days it would be pretty lame to have an bland interface like the original DS.

RE4 on PS2 used recorded GC video footage simply because it was far easier to do so.  2 minutes of work versus several days of coding.  And you get a better quality cut scene in the process.

I see plenty of other games that do the same thing now.

The rEVOLution is not being televised