By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More 3ds specs leaked

Mr. Fister said:

Not really sure what some of that means (Never was good at computer-speak), but commenters on Kotaku are saying it's not quite on the same level as the Gamecube. Still a pretty sizable leap from the DS and DSi, especially if the game cartridges can hold the rumored 4 GB of data.

Yeah but remember you are viewing it on a pretty small screen and not on a home tv, so the same amount of power on smaller screen means better graphics, because of the lower resolution.

Around the Network
Mr. Fister said:

Not really sure what some of that means (Never was good at computer-speak), but commenters on Kotaku are saying it's not quite on the same level as the Gamecube. Still a pretty sizable leap from the DS and DSi, especially if the game cartridges can hold the rumored 4 GB of data.

Reading computer discussions on Kotaku will only make your IQ drop.

I do understand the computer terminology and what the specs represent and it is certainly more capable than the GC.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Mr. Fister said:

I do understand the computer terminology and what the specs represent and it is certainly more capable than the GC.

I noticed the clock speed is lower, but that was the case with the DS vs N64, and it was still stronger.

I find that Nintrendo's handhelds with a home console equivalent are always stronger.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Cheebee said:

1.5 GB of internal flash memory, wow, that's a HUGE step up from the current DS.  O_O

I wonder what we'll get to use all that space for.

Didn't Nintendo say at E3 that we'd be able to store some games directly into the 3DS, so that we wouldn't have to carry the sd cards around all the time?

Hmm

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:
Mr. Fister said:

I noticed the clock speed is lower, but that was the case with the DS vs N64, and it was still stronger.

I find that Nintrendo's handhelds with a home console equivalent are always stronger.

its not equivalent, clock speed is not everything... do u remember the pentium 4 processors that run at 3.2ghz.. well they are clearly less powerfull than any modern processor even if they are 2.0ghz and even if you count only 1 of the cores (because they are multi cores)

Still newer processors are way faster at the same or less clock it depends on the architecture

Around the Network
Cheddarchet said:
Cheebee said:

1.5 GB of internal flash memory, wow, that's a HUGE step up from the current DS.  O_O

Didn't Nintendo say at E3 that we'd be able to store some games directly into the 3DS, so that we wouldn't have to carry the sd cards around all the time?

Not in so many words, but who knows... Then again, that might pose piracy problems in some way or another, and aren't the game cartridges themselves supposedly 4GB? Compared to that, the 1.5GB seems rather... insufficient?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:
Mr. Fister said:

Pretty much but it's a factor of technology being capable of doing far more per clock cycle than before.

Different architectures also create shorter pipelines as well. So you get data faster and more of it at once.  Just look at PC CPU's.  They've had the same range of clock cycle for about a decade now.  GPU's have advanced even more.  And with the 3DS having programmable shaders (a first for any Nintendo consle), it actually has more graphical versatility than Wii and will be far easier for developers to exploit than GC and Wii are.

Cheebee, first cartridges are 2 GB, not 4.  Though it won't take long for them to grow well beyond 4 GB if needed.

Carts have that great feature of in cycle capacity increases.  If you look at the cart sizes of all Nin consoles from launch to the biggest cart, a magnitude of 10 is common.  DS cards have gone from 8 MB to 512 MB.

Its great but lets not be astonished by the 1.5GB of space... most guys where upset on VGC that the Go only has 16 giga, and to be honest 1.5 is just pathetic. They could have easily added at least 8 wit barely any extra cost IMO.

The specs look pretty good IMO, tough I truly doubt that we will ever see anything close to HD console graphical capability...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Cheebee said:
Cheddarchet said:
Cheebee said:

Not in so many words, but who knows... Then again, that might pose piracy problems in some way or another, and aren't the game cartridges themselves supposedly 4GB? Compared to that, the 1.5GB seems rather... insufficient?

True... maybe it'll be something like, if a game has multiplayer, you can access the online components even without the cartridge in, or something along those lines (I don't actually know enough about the technical aspects to know if this is possible, but if it was, might be an option...)?

Hmm