By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yoshinori Ono: SF 3DS accepted (SF Fit denied)

Development History

In the plan of bringing Street Fighter IV back to the scene, my desire was to bring back everyone into how people used to play Street Fighter 2. We just wanted to bring that passion back to the industry. So when we started, we started from HD [consoles], Xbox 360 and PS3, because that's where we thought most gamers were, so that's how we released the games first [in those consoles].

But obviously, even with those consoles we couldn't quite bring back the sensation we had with Street Fighter 2 because the situation is different now. People play games on different machines, so the next point was iPhone. I thought about releasing a game on iPhone and you know that, again, is directed to a different demography and that also touched the casual gamers as well, and I was then looking for another medium to touch an even bigger casual market, and at that point Nintendo announced 3DS and I decided that that was the way to touch the casual market with Street Fighter.

Although it's a hardcore game on a hard gamers console, previous to 3DS, on iPhone we could play with the touch screen as well. With 3DS you've got stunning graphics anyway so all in all, that [the 3DS] is going to be an important core of the Street Fighter gaming in the entire hardcore and casual gamers [community].

Why no Wii version.

RG: This is the last one: Before the Nintendo 3DS was announced, we were a ‘Wii only' site, so people were eager to get Street Fighter 4 on Wii. Then we got the awesome Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom from Niitsuma-san. After eight years without a Nintendo Street Fighter, we wanted to know if there was any chance (before or now) for having it on the Wii and why it didn't become a reality if that was the case.

Ono: When it comes to Wii, what I had in mind was Street Fighter Fit.

RG: Really?

Ono: Because Street Fighter 4's nature kind of slightly differed from the identity Nintendo seemed to be chasing of with the Wii brand, it didn't seem to quite fit. We weren't sure, and we were more inclined to go for the idea of Street Fighter Fit. I actually had a plan, I submitted my game design and everything. When the discussion was about to get further or to be cancelled or whatever, 3DS came in with confidential information from Nintendo, so attention kind of shifted to 3DS and kind of reflected form Wii now. Hopefully, with 3DS I'll get to show off my thumb to everyone.

Source

Interesting that he thinks the Wii is an exercise equipment and not a casual console, and god forbid a gamer console :D

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Ono: Because Street Fighter 4's nature kind of slightly differed from the identity Nintendo seemed to be chasing of with the Wii brand, it didn't seem to quite fit. We weren't sure, and we were more inclined to go for the idea of Street Fighter Fit. I actually had a plan, I submitted my game design and everything.

Street Fighter Fit! It would have been the fail of the generation if they had actually made that! xD

Street Fighter Fit!  Now with real hurricane kicks via the Wii Balance Board!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Does this idiot realise that Street Fighter 2 was never a "hardcore" game?

Super Street Fighter Hyper Alpha 6 Turbo Extreme might have been hardcore but the original wasn't. It was about as "hardcore" as 2D Mario, Mario Kart or Donkey Kong.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

Ono: Because Street Fighter 4's nature kind of slightly differed from the identity Nintendo seemed to be chasing of with the Wii brand, it didn't seem to quite fit. We weren't sure, and we were more inclined to go for the idea of Street Fighter Fit. I actually had a plan, I submitted my game design and everything. When the discussion was about to get further or to be cancelled or whatever, 3DS came in with confidential information from Nintendo, so attention kind of shifted to 3DS and kind of reflected form Wii now. Hopefully, with 3DS I'll get to show off my thumb to everyone.

Rainbird said:

Street Fighter Fit! It would have been the fail of the generation if they had actually made that! xD

Good thing Nintendo stopped them by developing the 3DS else we would never hear the end of how the Wii can't sell hardcore games

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Now I don't even want to touch that game, due to that asinine mindset.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Smeags said:
TomaTito said:

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

SF fit, I'm sorry Ono, but that would be an abomination!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!