By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prelim PS MOVE Sales IN! (140K Worldwide)!! Are you pleased?!!

Prelim PS MOVE Sales IN! (140K Worldwide)!! Are you pleased?!!

AMAZING SALES 161 23.27%

BOOO! 119 17.20%

MEH! 412 59.54%

Total:692

Guys, what I am saying is that VGC numbers as of right now are not a good indication of what Move did during launch. They are preliminary and going by history here "preliminary" could very well mean it ends up selling much more than the 140k reported.

Some of you guys need to really take a chill pill.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Rafux said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Kantor said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Kantor said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Kantor said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Kantor said:
jarrod said:

I wonder what Motion Plus sold first week?

That's just ridiculous. Inception really flopped, because look at how much Toy Story 3 has grossed.

I believe Move is more of the competition to the WM plus, than Inception is to Toy Story....

After all, move is sont's desparete "move"  to counter attack nintendo's succes with the Wiimote.

Move isn't an attempt to counter anything. Only somebody who is truly delusional could ever have expected that.

No, Move is an attempt to steal some of the Wii's last-minute business, lengthen the gen by changing the game experience, and prepare core players for next-gen motion control, which will probably be ubiquitous.

So... you are telling me that move is an attempt to win some costumers over the wii... but is not trying to counter the wii's success.....

Got it

If Sony wanted to counter the Wii, they would have done it four years ago. To counter would be to somehow damage the Wii. Move isn't going to damage the Wii in any way. A handful of people (a very small handful) may choose it over the Wii, but it will mostly be selling to existing console owners, as shown by the data: 10,000 new consoles for 120,000 Move sales.

That's why it was only a desperate move.

Maybe you forgot about it, but this is actually the second time they try to counter the wii. Remember before, sony planned to launch a boomerang type controller... but then at E3 they presented the classic all time controller with the Sixaxis technology, a desparate attempt to counter the wii. It failed. It was an attempt to counter the wii, but it didn't do anything, hence it failed.

Move is just the second time for sony to try and damage the wii... that's why is an attempt. Will it work this time? doubt it. But we'll see, everything is possible.

And attempt to counter doesn't mean that it will actually counter efectively.

Sixaxis was not intended to counter the Wii. Everyone just hated the Boomerang controller, and Sixaxis is nothing like free-motion. It's tilt sensing.

OMG!!!! ok w/e makes you happy. I'm not going to discuss with someone who is blind x_X

Sixaxis was clearly a pathetic and desparate attempt to get on board of the motion controllers hype the wii was getting.

But if you believe Sony was planning to do that all along... well, I have actually nothing to say to you sir. Good day

Counter moves are for leaders, the sixaxis was indeed an attemp to counter the wii motion controls but it was a very crappy one. Now Sony is no longer the leader right now is in third place and the PS Move is an attemp to stole enough market share from the Wii so they can be in second place above MS. Thats called a flanking move.

And what makes kinect more innovative than the eyetoy/and or Ps eye that the move comes with?

Depth Sensor

3D Skeletal Tracking

All the other proprietary software that makes it work.

Euphoria14 said:

Guys, what I am saying is that VGC numbers as of right now are not a good indication of what Move did during launch. They are preliminary and going by history here "preliminary" could very well mean it ends up selling much more than the 140k reported.

Except your original post was pretty inciteful in it's language:

"I predict meltdowns soon."

"Do not take VGChartz preliminary  numbers at face value."

"So you should all relax before spouting out about who is wrong and who is right"

Maybe if you had expressed your opinion more moderately you would have gotten different responses.

daroamer said:
Euphoria14 said:

Except your original post was pretty inciteful in it's language:

"I predict meltdowns soon."

"Do not take VGChartz preliminary  numbers at face value."

"So you should all relax before spouting out about who is wrong and who is right"

Maybe if you had expressed your opinion more moderately you would have gotten different responses.

#1. Those meltdowns could go either way. It could stay the same or it could be higher/lower.

#2. I explained in detail why they shouldn't be taken at face value. PS3 Slim launch and weekly Japan preliminary numbers back me up quite well.

#3. That was directed at everyone. See point #1.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Another source of limited data is eBay. If you look at the completed listing, there aren't many completed transactions and those are mostly at or slightly below retail price. If there were any supply and demand problems, you would expect to see more completed sales at above retail prices.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82122/playstation-move-preliminary-sales-figures-in

Decent sales I guess

Hopeful for legs!!!

It did 140K week 1

80K in EU.....60K in NA!

Less then a 1/2 of 1% of ALL PS3 owners bought this product in its first week ( 140k units out of 36 million PS3 owners) , a bit under whelming..

This is when interest should be highest Id think -- Compare it to a COD MW2 launch which 'sells 3 million its first week' and only cost 30 dollars less then MOVE ) ..

Maybe its a slow warmup to decent sales later,  but motion sensing may not be a hot thing on either PS3 or XB360.. Im waiting to see if Kinect is less 'gimmickly' then Move..

Gamestop is now back in stock of eyetoys and nav units, which were sold out yesterday. Plus Move bundle is 6th and Move alone is 10th on best seller list. Target is sold out online of Nav Units. I just hope the numbers go up but we will see.

Viper1 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Wii Fit sold well on the back of its software.  The peripheral was simply made to facilitate the creation of said software.  Same for WSR and WMP. 

Move is essentially a new platform, one that is still waiting for WF/WSR caliber software.  Plus it's releasing five years into the console's lifespan.  The two situations aren't all that comparable.

Actually, this design philosophy is exactly why I predicted Move/Kinect would not come close to Nintendo's juggernauts this gen.  The Wiimote was designed to facilitate Wii Sports, and Wii Sports is what initially sold the Wii.  Same goes for Wii Fit and the Balance Board and Wii Sports Resort and Wii Motion Plus.  The lack of any real creative vision in software design seen in the development of Move/Kinect is what will stymie their initial and longterm sales.  It seems, in both cases, as if Sony/MS designed the hardware first and foremost, with little thought into what types of experiences they want to convey with said hardware.  After that they just tossed it out to developers and hoped they'd come up with something cool for it.  Nintendo designed their hardware to make their next killer app.  Sony/MS designed their hardware for the hardware's sake, and now they are desperately trying to find a killer app.

Good to see someone else that understands this.

Couldn't agree more.

Pretty underwhelming.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

fwap said:

This thread is going places.

popcorn.gif

Ah, come on!  You could have at least gone through the effort to grab a popcorn gif. 

Viper1 said:
thismeintiel said:
Viper1 said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, if you want to get technical, the N64's stick was digital, while Sony's was true analog.  Also, Sony released rumble the same month Nintendo released the Rumble Pak in Japan.

The N64's analog stick is still analog.  Potentiometers and rotary encoders are both analog.

It's still was based on digital technology. 

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/n643.htm

Regardless, the point is mostly moot as the N64's control stick still allowed for much greater movement then a normal D-Pad.  Plus, I'm also pretty sure they switched over to a potentiometer based stick for the Gamecube and Wii.

"When the amount of light changes, the level of current changes"

That makes it an analog device.  Being analog is a reference to the electrical current having a dynamic range of output. Digital would mean 1 signal level only.

You are correct that all modern analog sticks use potentiometers thanks to their ubiquity which makes the price far cheaper than the now rarely used in anything rotary encoders (mouse tracking ball).

I suppose I can concede to that.  However, it is true it wasn't quite as accurate.  What I do know for sure, though, is that this is the best thread to be discussing this on.