By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Communism Vs. Capitalism

Anarchy Is For Lower Beings. The Daleks Shall Rule All With Controlled Chaos. Capitalism Is The Sworn Enemy Of The Daleks. Communism Is The Right Of All Daleks!

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

Around the Network
stof said:
I'm not touching this thread with a 20 metre pole!

I'm a Social Democrat

Here, try this 19 metre model. I have poles in all sizes.

What does it matter in the long scheme of things. I mean lets be honest, GTA IV is gonna rock, Super Smash Bros Brawl is gonna be Wii game of the year and 2008 will see another round of top notch material for us asd gamers to get our teeth suck into so lets not worry about capitalism or communism because at the end of the day both land you with with a dictator, the only difference is in a democracy you vote for which one you want.

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

DalekLord said:
What does it matter in the long scheme of things. I mean lets be honest, GTA IV is gonna rock, Super Smash Bros Brawl is gonna be Wii game of the year and 2008 will see another round of top notch material for us asd gamers to get our teeth suck into so lets not worry about capitalism or communism because at the end of the day both land you with with a dictator, the only difference is in a democracy you vote for which one you want.

Good way to see it, f*ck the world, let's play =D

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Flow said:
DalekLord said:

Yeah , who cares that there are thousands diesing every day in countrys like Etiopia , lest just play games :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I haven't read any of this thread, but I am interested to know why somebody would ask questions about complex social and economic systems on videogame forum. Try reading Das Kapital and The Wealth of Nations and then make your own mind up.

P.S. I'm a capitalism fanboy (it isn't perfect, but unlike communism, it actually works the way it is supposed to).

hunter_alien said:
Flow said:
DalekLord said:

Yeah , who cares that there are thousands diesing every day in countrys like Etiopia , lest just play games :P

But... but Ethiopia IS really, really far away...

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Played_Out said:
I haven't read any of this thread, but I am interested to know why somebody would ask questions about complex social and economic systems on videogame forum. Try reading Das Kapital and The Wealth of Nations and then make your own mind up.

P.S. I'm a capitalism fanboy (it isn't perfect, but unlike communism, it actually works the way it is supposed to).

Actually it doesn't. Atleast not in the modern western world. There are things like laws, restrictions and democracy standing in it's way.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Rab said:
FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
If you want to know what life was like under communism read a book by Ayn Rand.

The worst part about communism? No videogames!

I guess your alluding to Soviet style Communism there are others like Democratic Communism which would be different again

As for videogames not being in a communist economy that doesnt make sense except as a sterio type. Communism by it's very definition would mean that all things are available to all people including yes you guessed it videogames

Even in theory, all things for all people is impossible. Not everyone in the world can have a 100+ carat diamond, because there simply aren't 6 billion of them in the world. Heck, not everyone could even have a Wii, as there aren't enough of those to meet to demand.

Inevitably, as communism ignores supply and demand it will create "deadweight loses", that is loss of efficiency, to society. In our wii example it would stem from the fact there would be a greater total volume of money spent at the market price detemined by how many people would pay market price (supply and demand) instead of the volume of money spent by communists at the controlled price. The difference in volumes is the deadweight loss to society.

As these discrepancies of price grow they can have negative effects in addition to the loss of efficiency. If the discrepancy is high enough you can have a blackmarket emerge that re-sells items.  Allotment of all goods does no better; what if you really want a wii and are willing to trade tons of your goods for it? Go to a blackmarket and pray you don't get thrown into some gulag for doing so.

Futhermore, if the controlled price is unprofitable, businesses will simply shutdown. No wii for anyone. But more seriously, no bread for the people in Zimbabwe.

Communism is such a pathetic economic policy I'm proud to be one of those capitalist American pigs that brands anyone speaking of such idiocy either utterly ignorant of basics economics or a pinko. Now if we could only get rid of our darned farm subsidies and do the world some good ....

@Soriku: A Communist society can't co-exist with a capitialist societies because the capitalist societies will nearly always developmentally outstrip the communist societies over time due their greater efficiency.

I haven't read all the responses so if this has been said I apologize.

People people you who say communism is a crap/failed system all need to wake the heck up and realize that there has NEVER EVER been a true communism state. If you were to look at "communist" nations you would realize that they are pretty much working on a dark ages system; where the king and lords have it all and the peasants have nothing. Does that sound like a "share the wealth" system to you?

The real problem with trying to make a communistic state is that for it to work there can be absolutly no ruling class. It would have to be a true democracy (not a republic like the usa and most "democracy" nations).