By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
MrBubbles said:

the point didnt seem to be that stalin was killing people because he was atheist.  just that he was an atheist and did that.   which is the topic.  atheism and morality.   stalin being an atheist and showing a lack of morals is a perfectly fine argument for him to make.

If that's your argument than it's just as easy to say that religious people are far more immoral than atheists as the vast majority of leaders, dictators and tyrants were religious.

Basically, it's not a very good point. Whether someone is atheist or religious makes no difference to whether they commit immoral acts. However, you're far more likely to get people following into a war if you utilise their religious belief. Much harder to do that with a complete lack of belief (atheism).

Not saying it's not possible, as with things like nationalism (or even something as small as support for a sports team's fans causing a riot), but it has nothing to do with atheism.

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:

Their belief that "god does not exist" isnt actually about god not existing.   (its not something they would admit to but it comes through in discussions).  Obviously they wouldnt feel that god is a source of all good.  Perhaps, for example, they have had a rough life and therefore feel abandoned by god...or perhaps a bad experience within their religious structure.  They developed an animosity towards their perception of god which results in "god doesnt exist" 

Give me any proof that atheists in general believe God exists but just hate him.

Because honestly, I think you're talking out your arse on this one.

MrBubbles said:
ManusJustus said:
MrBubbles said:

if there were good moral examples of atheists to hold up then people wouldnt assume they are amoral.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet don't believe in God, and they donated billions of dollars to chairty.  If that ain't morals, then I don't know what is.

Both seem to be agnostic and not atheist...

It's difficult to put names to highly moral atheists, not because their aren't many of them, but because they don't have a large community backing and following. Rather than naming, how about I just give some general examples.

How about all the atheists doctors and surgeons working in thrid-world countries? The researchers working on anti-cancer drugs for Cancer Research? The atheist social workers?

Moral atheists can be found in all walks of life, just like religious people. You just have to look.

Bubbles, you do understand that in judgement motives are needed.

By your logic all human beings should server 20 to life if one human being commits murder.

Why? Because regardless of his motives he was a human being.

Here's a crystal clear example.

In a world where Dogs talk a man shoots a dog, the dog court sends him and all humans to jail, regardless of the mans motive. Why? Because he happens to be human.

It seems like your just on the offensive to Atheists, and I'm only curious as to why, now that I understand why I can say that your generalizing, drawing your own conclusion from your own imagination and then proving your imagination right, I would hope you'd be right though as it would be wierd for you to imagine you were wrong. But in the end your relation makes as much sense as using a tooth pick for fire wood despite having fire wood on hand.

W/e your logic is up in the air here.

It is human nature to seek to achieve ones goals, and the motiviation is unique based on the history to get to that agenda. If a person said let's kill all Christians because I don't believe there is a god, then boom you'd be 100% correct in your relation.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Homer_Simpson said:
Reasonable said:
Homer_Simpson said:
MrBubbles said:

the concept of the moon being made of cheese and the concept of god are not comparable ideas.

our moon? sure, we know it isnt I think, other moons however? we have as much evidence that they arent made of cheese as we do that god or religion are factual (i.e None Whatsoever)

Actually, an understanding of physics, gravity and cheese (amongst other things) gives us plenty of understanding that cheese moons anywhere are likely to be very, very rare.  Certainly the Solar System plus the general composition of stellar bodies argues against it.

But, if you know of any cheese moon's or evidence as to their liklihood please feel free to post it.  Otherise, I'll go right on being pretty sure based on observed facts and knowledge that there almost certainly aren't any.

I was making a joke...I know moons arent made of cheese, I was pointing out that believing that a moon is made of cheese is in a way, comparable to believing that god/religion are facts

My bad.  And who knows, maybe there are donut moons somewhere...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

why dont some of you people just go read all my fucking posts instead of just picking the one and sounding your mouth off.  im not going to have a discussion when i have to repeat everything ive said every post.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
chocoloco said:
Kasz216 said:
pearljammer said:

I'm unsure how any of this talk about horrid people who had commited atrocious crimes, either being religious or atheist,  is relevent or even representative of either group of people.

It's ridiculous. Really, really ridiculous.

It's just general strawmanism to avoid the general research on hand.

What research I have not seen any research presented in the original post it was just a mans ideas that he based on what he had been hearing in the media lately.

http://www.gordon.edu/ace/pdf/Spr07BRGrinols.pdf

For one.  There is a lot of research on it though.  That generally finds that the biggest indicator on if you are going to give to charity or not is if you practice religion.

The book, "Who Really Cares?" (I have it, but didn't get to read it much) is an interesting work.  To go off track here a bit, I find the premise of the book ends up taking the issues of helping the poor and takes the focus off those in need, on those who do the giving.  I think the focus needs to be on those in need personally.

I disagree... since that's not what the book is about.

I don't think a book about poor people would be anymore likely to make people give, I mean how many people spend there days walking by countless homeless people and just not care.

Rath said:
MrBubbles said:

Their belief that "god does not exist" isnt actually about god not existing.   (its not something they would admit to but it comes through in discussions).  Obviously they wouldnt feel that god is a source of all good.  Perhaps, for example, they have had a rough life and therefore feel abandoned by god...or perhaps a bad experience within their religious structure.  They developed an animosity towards their perception of god which results in "god doesnt exist" 

Give me any proof that atheists in general believe God exists but just hate him.

Because honestly, I think you're talking out your arse on this one.

To be fair....  While I don't think it's the majority.  It REALLY does seem like a majority, since the only people you hear talk about atheism usually are those who angrily bring it up complaining about how they had to waste their time in church and if god was there he sure as hell didn't do anything for them.

Rarely do people talk about atheism in an outside setting except in a "God hasn't done shit for me so I don't believe in him anymore" sense.

Kasz216 said:

To be fair....  While I don't think it's the majority.  It REALLY does seem like a majority, since the only people you hear talk about atheism usually are those who angrily bring it up complaining about how they had to waste their time in church and if god was there he sure as hell didn't do anything for them.

Rarely do people talk about atheism in an outside setting except in a "God hasn't done shit for me so I don't believe in him anymore" sense.

There may be people out there who claim that they don't believe in God because they are angry at him, but I know many atheists (a very large number of people, probably the majority, who are my age in NZ don't believe in God) and I do not know any who would fit into that category, or who even seem angry at God. Most of them are apathetic about the entire situation, and those who aren't seem earnest in their lack of belief.

Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
chocoloco said:
Kasz216 said:
pearljammer said:

The book, "Who Really Cares?" (I have it, but didn't get to read it much) is an interesting work.  To go off track here a bit, I find the premise of the book ends up taking the issues of helping the poor and takes the focus off those in need, on those who do the giving.  I think the focus needs to be on those in need personally.

I disagree... since that's not what the book is about.

I don't think a book about poor people would be anymore likely to make people give, I mean how many people spend there days walking by countless homeless people and just not care.

I became familar with the book, and thus got it, by hearing it through the Hanity's and other Newscorp commentator shows.  I happen to comment here just that a focus on who gives more, rather than which approach helps the poor more, is important.  I also believe, referencing the Gospels, that looking at giving through the eyes of the giver, and speaking of that as being virtuous, totally misses the point where the idea is to give and have people focus towards God in the end.

In short, the book was used in the talking head circles to speak on how conservatives care about the poor more than liberals.