By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How's Halo: Reach's campaign?

I'm on mission six. It's the best one that I've played so far. love everything about it.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
disolitude said:
CollectiveCynic said:

That's good to hear. May not be as good as Halo: CE, but at least I know it's better than Halo 2 & 3.

I find it funny that people say Halo 3's campaign was poor.

Sure it may not have been groundbreaking and original like Halo 1 or attempted to be epic like Halo 2, but it is easily the most focused and fast paced Halo campaign (till ODST which kinda added stealth elements and wasn't as action oriented)

I don't think there is a single point in Halo 3 when I sad "damn, I really hate playing this part"... Halo 1 had that long repetitive second half which was pretty much the same coridor fighting with flood over and over. And Halo 2 was...like you said a huge unfocused mess.

I never minded the endless corridors of Halo:CE, because they made sense. You're plodding your way through a massive structure with vast hallways... And considering the sweeping array of areas you traveled through in Halo:CE (deserts, tundras, islands, swamps, etc, you name it) I didn't mind spending a while in the Library.

For me, I can't put my finger on it, but i just enjoyed Halo 3 the least. It wasn't the story... something about it to me was... less fun. Maybe because it and Halo:2 largely lacked the feel that your WERE master chief. in Halo 1, you virtually never was cutscenes, you learned everything through your own eyes and ears. It was a very "you against the world" feel, and while you were occasionally given a few marines to help, they never lasted long, and it was back to you, fighting your way through endless antagonists alone.

Halo 2/3 didn't have that, but they also didn't have the (relatively) competent squad of allies feel that Reach has. When you fight with other spartans, they don't just charge gunfire and instantly die. Bigger scale, but you're not doing it alone. Also a good feel for the game.

Fair enough... I too liked Halo 1 the most. That game was mindblowing when it came out. I could put up with the tedious hallways no problem... Halo 3 was a great popcorn flick. Didn't make much sense, and was kinda comical at times but there wasn't too many moments that dragged on.

However I got to admit, Reach is seriously kicking my ass now. The game has a sense of urgency which I've never experienced in halo. Voice acting and story are pretty great as well, and gameplay is classic. I think it would be a total waste to play Reach (or any halo) on anything less than heroic difficulty. I wish it never ended lol...

Short - but enjoyable.  Still doesn't hold a flame to CE's campaign though.  One of the harder Legendaries I've played in the series.

disolitude said:
Jereel Hunter said:
disolitude said:
CollectiveCynic said:

That's good to hear. May not be as good as Halo: CE, but at least I know it's better than Halo 2 & 3.

I find it funny that people say Halo 3's campaign was poor.

Sure it may not have been groundbreaking and original like Halo 1 or attempted to be epic like Halo 2, but it is easily the most focused and fast paced Halo campaign (till ODST which kinda added stealth elements and wasn't as action oriented)

I don't think there is a single point in Halo 3 when I sad "damn, I really hate playing this part"... Halo 1 had that long repetitive second half which was pretty much the same coridor fighting with flood over and over. And Halo 2 was...like you said a huge unfocused mess.

I never minded the endless corridors of Halo:CE, because they made sense. You're plodding your way through a massive structure with vast hallways... And considering the sweeping array of areas you traveled through in Halo:CE (deserts, tundras, islands, swamps, etc, you name it) I didn't mind spending a while in the Library.

For me, I can't put my finger on it, but i just enjoyed Halo 3 the least. It wasn't the story... something about it to me was... less fun. Maybe because it and Halo:2 largely lacked the feel that your WERE master chief. in Halo 1, you virtually never was cutscenes, you learned everything through your own eyes and ears. It was a very "you against the world" feel, and while you were occasionally given a few marines to help, they never lasted long, and it was back to you, fighting your way through endless antagonists alone.

Halo 2/3 didn't have that, but they also didn't have the (relatively) competent squad of allies feel that Reach has. When you fight with other spartans, they don't just charge gunfire and instantly die. Bigger scale, but you're not doing it alone. Also a good feel for the game.

Fair enough... I too liked Halo 1 the most. That game was mindblowing when it came out. I could put up with the tedious hallways no problem... Halo 3 was a great popcorn flick. Didn't make much sense, and was kinda comical at times but there wasn't too many moments that dragged on.

However I got to admit, Reach is seriously kicking my ass now. The game has a sense of urgency which I've never experienced in halo. Voice acting and story are pretty great as well, and gameplay is classic. I think it would be a total waste to play Reach (or any halo) on anything less than heroic difficulty. I wish it never ended lol...

I just play the campaign on easy mode,that way I can rush through it.  This is the first time,I've played any halo multiplayer in depth. I have halo CE,2 and 3.

I'd put it's campaign after CE's and ODST's. Reach is like a mix of the two with it's exploration of an unknown world and sense or ugency mixed with its camaraderie story but it doesn't quite feel urgent enough in story as you know how it's going to end and it doesn't build characters enough for you to care for them.

It's still a thrill and has some of the best, if not the best set-pieces in the series to date. It is also very balanced and paced very well (at least, if you like a challenge). It's rather short though. I beat it on Legendary alone in 2 sittings, totalling about 11 hours. I think this is the direction Halo 2 should've taken. It reminded me a lot of the Halo 2 E3 demo back in 2003.

Overall I'd put it second in the series to Halo CE with ODST right behind it.

Around the Network

Really enjoyed it. Had my doubts after the first few missions but from mission 4 ownwards its awesome. Definately a lot better than campaigns in halo 2 and 3.

I think the campaign is fantastic and would be a blast to play on co-op. I found the Noble Team to have very dull personalities which is my main bad point but then again they are just super soldiers. Technically speaking Halo games have always has rock solid frame rates and this game is just insane with the amount of stuff happening over a large playing area and the level of detail has increased dramatically over Halo 3 (almost 720p, temporal AA, better textures, more polygons, loads of HDR, tons of full on alpha effects). Unfortunately this means more framerate issues than I'm used to with Halo games. Not sure why they didn't scale back on the alpha and HDR and offer full on 720p with proper AA and less framerate issues but i guess they wanted to give Halo that distinct look. I can see why they wanted to use the eDram as they get loads more bandwidth.

The campaign is more like a combination of Halo:CE and Halo 3 that just one or the other. There's no flood and the covenant speak in alien tongues. The brutes are there but they are under the authority of the Elites. The A.I is brilliant and even the Grunts can be tough little bastards. There 's a good variety of missions, nothing is too samey and the musical score, while excellent doesn't have as many memorable 'standard' in game tunes as the others.

I can't believe so many people feel Halo CE had the best campaign out of them all. I ended it once and never looked back. I'm also one of the few people that actually liked playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2. Overall I think Reach may be the best simply becasue there's no FLOOD. I can't stand fighting them.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

my only complaint was i like jumping on the back of a warthog and doing the shooting but found myself driving as the npc's driving while never  good seems even worse this time might be my memory though . plus the squad not dying on you was good but they suffered from the not noticing the enemy 2ft away while trying to shoot some thing in the distance syndrome. still very good i especially like that the enemy is sharper / harder but didn't like losing a really good weapon for no real reason .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot