By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How's Halo: Reach's campaign?

Expecting solid multi-player from a Halo game, is like expecting a good narrative from an RPG from BioWare. All I want to know how does the campaign fair? I've heard polarizing viewpoints towards it, but I like to know what you guys think. Is it as epic and memorable as the first Halo? Or underwhelming as Halo 2 & 3? Also, how's the narrative?

Around the Network

Pretty good action-movie style campaign. Light on deep narrative, heavy on action and fist-pumping one-liners. I don't know about your Halo vs 2&3 comparison, Halo2's story was great, it just ended weird.

There's a lot of great action and quick dialouge.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Stinky said:

Pretty good action-movie style campaign. Light on deep narrative, heavy on action and fist-pumping one-liners. I don't know about your Halo vs 2&3 comparison, Halo2's story was great, it just ended weird.

Halo 2's story was a convoluted mess. It was so unfocused and poorly paced.

bleeping hard on legendary >_>

Around the Network
CollectiveCynic said:

Expecting solid multi-player from a Halo game, is like expecting a good narrative from an RPG from BioWare. All I want to know how does the campaign fair? I've heard polarizing viewpoints towards it, but I like to know what you guys think. Is it as epic and memorable as the first Halo? Or underwhelming as Halo 2 & 3? Also, how's the narrative?

I like the game a lot so far. I'm a few hours in, and I have to say, lightyears beyond halo 2/3. Halo 2 and 3 I had to kinda... get into. (unlike Halo:CE which immediately sucked me in)

However Reach had that Halo:CE feeling where it was cool right from the get-go.

Also the scale of the battles is amazing. Seriously. There are fights where it's you, 5 other spartans, and a handful of marines vs like 25 covenant. And elites.... so many elites. It's great. I was tired of both brutes and the flood by the end of Halo 3, so a game where it's mostly grunts, jackals, and tons of elites is a nice change.

So far I'd say not as epic and memorable as Halo:CE, but that's a tough act to follow. BUT I'm only half way through, and I've heard it gets more memorable as you go along, so we'll see. (Easily better than Halo 2/3 though, I must stress)

Jereel Hunter said:
CollectiveCynic said:

I like the game a lot so far. I'm a few hours in, and I have to say, lightyears beyond halo 2/3. Halo 2 and 3 I had to kinda... get into. (unlike Halo:CE which immediately sucked me in)

However Reach had that Halo:CE feeling where it was cool right from the get-go.

Also the scale of the battles is amazing. Seriously. There are fights where it's you, 5 other spartans, and a handful of marines vs like 25 covenant. And elites.... so many elites. It's great. I was tired of both brutes and the flood by the end of Halo 3, so a game where it's mostly grunts, jackals, and tons of elites is a nice change.

So far I'd say not as epic and memorable as Halo:CE, but that's a tough act to follow. BUT I'm only half way through, and I've heard it gets more memorable as you go along, so we'll see. (Easily better than Halo 2/3 though, I must stress)

That's good to hear. May not be as good as Halo: CE, but at least I know it's better than Halo 2 & 3.

Yeah it was quite challenging on the harder difficulties, but I would have to say story-wise this was my favorite. Very story heavy and cutscene driven. So many epic moments in that story, and the ending has been in my head since I beat it. So freaking good!

CollectiveCynic said:

That's good to hear. May not be as good as Halo: CE, but at least I know it's better than Halo 2 & 3.

I find it funny that people say Halo 3's campaign was poor.

Sure it may not have been groundbreaking and original like Halo 1 or attempted to be epic like Halo 2, but it is easily the most focused and fast paced Halo campaign (till ODST which kinda added stealth elements and wasn't as action oriented)

I don't think there is a single point in Halo 3 when I sad "damn, I really hate playing this part"... Halo 1 had that long repetitive second half which was pretty much the same coridor fighting with flood over and over. And Halo 2 was...like you said a huge unfocused mess.

I've only played through four missions so far but I really have enjoyed it.  The campaign has really captured my attention and that's hard to do with me.   Lazthelost mentioned about the ending being stuck in his head and I expect it to be the same way with me; however, I'm afraid of what the ending will bring :(.