By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How would one control a mech with a Kinect controller?

Doobie_wop said:
thx1139 said:

Trying to be constructive unlike the previous post.

Similiar to tank controls using two sticks.

Both hands backward moves backward.

Right hand forward turns to the left.

Left hand forward turns to the right.

Walk in place moves forward.

Head tracking to determine what you are looking at.

Control type of weapon armed with voice.  Fire by voice command or thrust arms forward like JoyRide boost.

That doesn't sound appealing at all...

If this thread was made about the recent Steel Battalion announcement for Kinect, this is what Kinect has to replace:

That's the original controller that came with the game, it's the most hardcore mech game ever developed. To match the amount of depth and realism of his last game using the Kinect, the guy must either be a genius or he must be radically changing the game from it's core concept.

I have never played the original game but you can't really need all those buttons all the time or if you do, then the game seriously needs some streamlining.  If you can map 40 buttons to 8, I'm sure you could map 8 to Kinect.

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:

You can't. They're just falsely hyping you up.

Really? You come from the future, knowing this won't happen? What do you think people would say if asked how to get to the moon in 1900? Let's wait and see, before doing stealth trolling...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

twesterm said:
Doobie_wop said:
thx1139 said:

Control type of weapon armed with voice.  Fire by voice command or thrust arms forward like JoyRide boost.

If this thread was made about the recent Steel Battalion announcement for Kinect, this is what Kinect has to replace:

That's the original controller that came with the game, it's the most hardcore mech game ever developed. To match the amount of depth and realism of his last game using the Kinect, the guy must either be a genius or he must be radically changing the game from it's core concept.

I have never played the original game but you can't really need all those buttons all the time or if you do, then the game seriously needs some streamlining.  If you can map 40 buttons to 8, I'm sure you could map 8 to Kinect.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that they might have been better off starting from scratch with a new IP instead of possibly setting themselves up for failure by trying to change the core mechanics of a niche but loved franchise. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
twesterm said:
Doobie_wop said:
thx1139 said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that they might have been better off starting from scratch with a new IP instead of possibly setting themselves up for failure by trying to change the core mechanics of a niche but loved franchise. 

You could argue that since the game only sold 10's of thousands of units you wouldn't be pissing that many people off compared to what you could sell.

twesterm said:
Doobie_wop said:
twesterm said:
Doobie_wop said:
thx1139 said:

You could argue that since the game only sold 10's of thousands of units you wouldn't be pissing that many people off compared to what you could sell.

That only depends on what direction they take, they could either appeal to their small user base or take the risk and appeal to a whole new user base. They made a profit from those few thousand people, so we'll see what happens. I just see it as something similar to releasing a game like Demons Soul's on the Wii, it's great on it's original platform, but will the new tech be good enough to work with the hardcore game for the hardcore audience.

Just so you know, I'm being extremely unfair on Kinect, everything I've seen involving motion controls hasn't been that great and after seeing the on-rails Star Wars game, the plethora of party games and the reports of latency issues, it's hard to have faith in the technology. So don't take insult with anything I say.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Doobie_wop,

At least your honest.  Yet even from E3 Kinect responsiveness has improved according to hands on reports.  I think what you are seeing is that the Kinect provides the responsiveness required, but it still comes down to the individual software to effectivly make use of the information Kinect is providing.

As for Steel Battalion.  It is not going to be the same game.  People need to get over it. Maybe it will end up being a better game. The first game was a novelty with the controller, but not a huge success.  Sure it made some money,but that was primarily because the controller must have had nice margins.

I also believe that you will see major changes between Kinect games from launch through the 1st half of 2011 and Kinect games the 2nd half of 2011.  Certainly both MS tools and the experience of the developers gained with the initial titles and SDK will be put to good use with new and improved tools resulting in more advanced experiences and maybe even new capabilities.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

dunno001 said:
Beuli2 said:

You can't. They're just falsely hyping you up.

Really? You come from the future, knowing this won't happen? What do you think people would say if asked how to get to the moon in 1900? Let's wait and see, before doing stealth trolling...

You also don't know if I came from the future or not, and you also wasn't alive in 1900 to know what people though about getting to the moon, so you may very well be the one trolling in here.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I'm sure it'll be a hybrid game using kinect and a controller.

I expect that game to work as good as Milo...

You stand on the ground and signal to the guy driving the mech, I guess.