By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gamasutra: XBOX360 ahead of PS3 Slim

Gamasutra: XBOX360 ahead of PS3 Slim

Total:0
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

blunders that would have normally spelled doom for past consoles

Sony appeared to have almost endless funds to piss away into the PS3. Past consoles generally didn't have that.

So good thing for SONY.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:

So good thing for SONY.

I guess so.

But I sure as hell wouldn't have predicted Sony would have to piss away so much money to be relevant this gen.

I think its more about keeping the brand alive than making a proft right now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

So good thing for SONY.

I guess so.

But I sure as hell wouldn't have predicted Sony would have to piss away so much money to be relevant this gen.

I think its more about keeping the brand alive than making a proft right now.

Currently, both is now happening.

Jordahn said:

Currently, both is now happening.

Yes, both is happening now.

We'll have to see what happens when the next price cuts roll around.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

Sony appeared to have almost endless funds to piss away into the PS3. Past consoles generally didn't have that.

Doesn't make what they've acheived after such a terrible start any less impressive. Microsoft actually have near endless supplies and resources to spend on all X-box products, but that doesn't spell success.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

Doesn't make what they've acheived after such a terrible start any less impressive. Microsoft actually have near endless supplies and resources to spend on all X-box products, but that doesn't spell success.

To me, its more like MS pissed away billions to become relevant. Sony pissed away billions to stay relevant.

Which is odd considering they were leaders in the last two gens.

Recently Completed

Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

I think we can all agree looking back that one of the PS3's purpose was to be a trojan horse for Blu-Ray.  Then you add that to the fact that diodes during Blu-ray manufacturing before the PS3's release suffered at a dismal 10% yield.  Then later the economy bottomed out.  All this was very costly (or "pissed" away as Puggsly would like to have it) for SONY.  Hey, Microsoft "pissed" tons of money away on Live development and the Xbox brand name.  I would argue that the PS3 is in a better position as a third place console worldwide now than the original Xbox was 2nd place last gen while SONY is just now profiting off of their games division while Microsoft was not during the original Xbox days.

Mr Puggsly said:
Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

To me, its more like MS pissed away billions to become relevant. Sony pissed away billions to stay relevant.

Odd because Nintendo lost being the leader in sales for a while only to take it back by force.  And both the 360 and PS3 are very legit with a bright future ahead.

EDIT: And that's counting the fact that the Nintendo Gamecube entered last gen being 2nd, dropped to 3rd, and now the Wii is the best selling console this gen thus far.  And your point is...?

Jordahn said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

Odd because Nintendo lost being the leader in sales for a while only to take it back by force.  And both the 360 and PS3 are very legit with a bright future ahead.

Nintendo never had the mega sales Sony did (before the Wii). Also, they really dropped the ball with the N64. Which allowed the PS1 to be even more successful.

All the great 3rd party support stayed with Sony for the PS2. In my opinion, Nintendo dropped the ball again with the Gamecube. It was just an odd console, terrible joystick, but it was a financial success.

This time Sony dropped the ball on the PS3 with a ridiculous price. Nintendo finally put out a console that really appealed to the masses again. The rest is history.

I think the 360 has a bright future for consumers and financially. The PS3... maybe they'll get some of the money back. But consumers should stay happy.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jordahn said:

Nintendo never had the mega sales Sony did (before the Wii). Also, they really dropped the ball with the N64. Which allowed the PS1 to be even more successful.

All the great 3rd party support stayed with Sony for the PS2. In my opinion, Nintendo dropped the ball again with the Gamecube. It was just an odd console, terrible joystick, but it was a financial success.

This time Sony dropped the ball on the PS3 with a ridiculous price. Nintendo finally put out a console that really appealed to the masses again. The rest is history.

I think the 360 has a bright future for consumers and financially. The PS3... maybe they'll get some of the money back. But consumers should stay happy.

So.  Nintendo has always by and large a quality console and catered to their fans first with their software offerings.  And I see SONY has taken a page from Nintendo's book to strive to do the same from gen to gen wwith their software.  That's why I see SONY being successful as a 3rd place console after seeing where Nintendo has come from.  And neither has the money as Microsoft to "piss away."