By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New 360 4Gs Can't Play Reach's Co-Op

disolitude said:
Jordahn said:
disolitude said:

lol...kinda funny. ITs cheaper to buy the fat 360 than HD for the slim...

But hey...you don't buy a base model car and then complain its missing air conditioning and automatic transmission right? :)

Yes, but when you buy a game as the same price as anyone else, you should be able to utilize all the features without having to pay extra.  Paying extra should provide you with what others are not paying for.  Since the offline coop option is in the game, all systems should be able to access the option.  In regards to your "base model" example, a more appropriate option would be to have a cheaper Reach version without offline coop (get what you pay for).  Another option would to have a disclaimer on the game requiring a HDD of sufficient space to inform the consumer.

All I see you do is bash the 360. Do you even own the console?

And in my analogy, the 360 is the "base model", not Reach... The gasoline would be Halo reach, which costs the same, no matter which model car you have.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  Then maybe I should stop praising the new 360 slims as a great buy.

:D

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  Then maybe I should stop praising the new 360 slims as a great buy.

:D

Why would you praise it? It can't play coop halo reach...  ;)

Truth be told, hard driveless fat arcade can't play coop halo ODST(and Halo Reach I assume), so I don't know why people buying the slim arcade would think they can.

The only thing that sucks for Slim owners is that they can't go out there and get a used 20 GB hard drive for 20 bucks...or can they? :)

On one side we have Puggsly, insisting even when MSFT announces its working on the ISSUE its not an ISSUE. On the other we have people acting like this is consumer reports issue of the year.

Fact is it falls somewhere in between the two extremes. It sucks, theres no excuse but theyll fix it. Its just annoying and shouldnt happen.

And before Puggsly responds with his link/quote of something similar about Sony ill say yes, the leap year bug was also the same. So please spare me. People can comment on issues without it effecting them and without there being some conspiracy.

My bet is this will be cleared up within the next 8 hours from reality and in 6 months when something happens to the PS3/Wii we will have an influx of posters saying "....all you sony fans ripped on MS when the 4gb wouldnt play Reach co-op for one day and now youre making excuses"

Viva la interwebs! Hugs and kisses.

Mr Puggsly said:
SecondWar said:

This severely reduces the value of the limited edition Reach console. Though seeing as I hardly ever do co=op it doesnt bother me anyway (not that I have the limited edition console anyway)

But doesn't the Reach console have a hard drive?

If anything... that would increase the value.

Oh I didnt realise it was actually a hard-drive. Maybe I misunderstood the probem

Can I ask how people expect them to fix it?...do people not see that the problem is most likely that the game caches data to the hard drive to be able to Run...without that space, how is that fixable?

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

Around the Network

This can help the Slim owners while MS patches the problem.

These 20 GB hard drives are 20-30 bucks used these days.

I'm a pretty big MS fan - but I gota admit this is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Way to go MS/Bungie.

It's just that simple.

Reasonable said:

No, I think that's different - and worse!  The memory cards were a simple (but hugely effective) way of getting money after the initial console sale and it was a quite deliberate policy.

What I'm talking about here is having different console versions where the entry model isn't fully enabled for all games.  With the PS1/PS2 you're talking a deliberate and upfront seperate save memory store approach.

It's a fine split between the two but I believe they're different.  The 360 issue is pretty infrequent - for the most part the entry model give you everything you need - unlike the horror of spending a fortune on a very small memory card for Playstations.

Well the memory cards were required for some features on some PS2 models. I had a very early JP PS2 and it didn't have built-in DVD playback support. It came with a CD which would install the playback driver onto your PS2 memory card, which would allow you to watch DVD's on the system. If you didn't have a PS2 memory card or took it out of the memory card slot then you wouldn't be able to watch DVD's, so in that case it was Required for that feature. I had no idea about needing a memory card (for anything other than saves) until after I had bought the PS2. Luckily that was only on the early JP PS2 models.

I know what you're talking about is different, but say a customer went to buy a PS2 (one of those models I mentioned) and then went home to try and watch a DVD and then it doesn't work. They check and see that oh they also have to buy a Memory Card otherwise they can't use this feature. Sounds like a similar situation to me.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

OK, so you have to be someone that refused to pay the extra $100 for a hdd, and still refused to do so. This person spends $60/year on xbox live in order to enable the online modes, however, they probably also don't spend much money on games because they won't be buying many arcade games. They are also spending about $50/month on broadband internet. Then they also went out and bought a $60 game.

To me, it seems this demographic would be 10-15 year old kids who can't get their own job to buy a HDD on their own. If anything, this is encouraging them to play co-op mode with a friend at their house rather than online. They can already play ther other modes online.

Also, I do believe that on the xbox 360s packaging that it recommends purchasing the 250GB 360s HDD to get the full experience, so it's not like someone should be shocked that they can't get the full 100% experience but is stuck with a 99% experience but saved themselves $100. These people DID NOT spend the same amount of money. This also might be a problem not because 4GB is not enough, but because a large portion of the 4GB might already be used by xbl arcade downloads. The xbox HDDs have space reserved specifically for cache for any game. If this game requires 2GB of cache space, it's going to be harder to explain to all of your customers that you can only use 2GB of your space in order to get one small feature of a game that only 1/4 of xbox owners will even buy.

I'm still waiting for someone that owns an XBOX 360s arcade, halo reach, xbl gold subscription and pays for broadband internet to complain about missing one small feature in this game because they decided to save $100 tax.

bobbert said:

OK, so you have to be someone that refused to pay the extra $100 for a hdd, and still refused to do so. This person spends $60/year on xbox live in order to enable the online modes, however, they probably also don't spend much money on games because they won't be buying many arcade games. They are also spending about $50/month on broadband internet. Then they also went out and bought a $60 game.

To me, it seems this demographic would be 10-15 year old kids who can't get their own job to buy a HDD on their own. If anything, this is encouraging them to play co-op mode with a friend at their house rather than online. They can already play ther other modes online.

Also, I do believe that on the xbox 360s packaging that it recommends purchasing the 250GB 360s HDD to get the full experience, so it's not like someone should be shocked that they can't get the full 100% experience but is stuck with a 99% experience but saved themselves $100. These people DID NOT spend the same amount of money. This also might be a problem not because 4GB is not enough, but because a large portion of the 4GB might already be used by xbl arcade downloads. The xbox HDDs have space reserved specifically for cache for any game. If this game requires 2GB of cache space, it's going to be harder to explain to all of your customers that you can only use 2GB of your space in order to get one small feature of a game that only 1/4 of xbox owners will even buy.

I'm still waiting for someone that owns an XBOX 360s arcade, halo reach, xbl gold subscription and pays for broadband internet to complain about missing one small feature in this game because they decided to save $100 tax.

Demographic described is very small indeed.

But this sucks morr for people with multiple 360s and TVs...who have friends over and have halo lan parties.