By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 20 Game Thread

Honestly guys, I am completely appalled by what happened in this game.

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but it was terrible.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dsister said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It was obvious Hatmoza and Darth stopped the kills, plus j0 roleclaimed Aeris who was going to die on Day 4, he really wasn't suspicious at all.

To answer your question my screen is huge! :P

You're dodging the question and forgetting that j0 roleclaimed the next day...

2. Go from that to a netbook screen. You wouldn't post either

Nope j0 roleclaimed on Day 3 and there was no Day 2.

Signature goes here!

dtewi said:

Honestly guys, I am completely appalled by what happened in this game.

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but it was terrible.

The feeling is mutual

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

kantor, the point was that if we lynched homer or ff we would know a member of scum.

Lynching dsister did not solve that problem. 

As it turned out, we ended up knowing a member of scum the following day - indeed, the same one we would have known had we lynched Final-Fan.

So the only difference was the killing of a roleblocker over a vanilla.

Unfortunately, we were going for Homer, so we would have lynched him, and he would have killed the last two people to vote for him.

That was only by sheer luck.

1) It was because of vette's really really overpowered ability 
2) The fact that had either me or homer claimed, and he included us in the list, his question would have been wasted. As it was, it was sheer luck that he risked verifying so many names and having them all be truthful. Very risky, huge payoff.

2) The difference is that a roleblocker is infinitely useful in endgame. Had you lynched ff and not dsis, town may have won. The point being that all it took on the final day was one lynch for either me or republic to win, because at night either one of us would kill someone else leaving 1 town and 1 ant and 1 silenced. Now, if there was a roleblocker, he wouldn't get the night kill leaving another townie. Enough to lynch the remaining ant. 

3) He did not kill the last two people to vote for him. Do you see how much you just gloss over important details? And no, you weren't going for homer. FF was almost surely getting lynched, because if ff was town, it meant homer was mafia, and if homer was mafia it didn't necessarily mean the ff was town, but could rather be another mafia that homer was clearing.

Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

As soon as hatmoza changed his lynch to me, it was over. Hat is very stubborn and very hard to convince. When he gets going, trying to argue with him is just going to seal my fate. He's a bit eccentric in that I don't know what is going to set him off.

Also, republic claiming unlynchable killed it for me too. I had some steam going against him, and then he did that and then FF for some lame reason or another changed his vote to me. That was what really sealed it. To me, claiming unlynchable right before a lynch is just downright scummy. I'm sorry town was so superficial to notice that, even when I pointed it out.

I assume you didn't realise at the beginning of that day that Republic was unlynchable. But then you did realise later.

What you should have done is pointed out that being unlynchable isn't really a very pro-town characteristic, that claiming "unlynchable" isn't really much of a defence if you're a townie, and that since you were scum, you were the only one with any chance of killing him: if they lynched you, Republic would win the game.

It would then be up to them whether to let you win or Republic.

Nobody did, because he never claimed it and I couldn't figure out what it could be. I had a suspicion that it was unlynchable, but I was in denial....an unlynchable antagonist. That's a harsh role to have.

I was thinking about making an appeal to the town. I planned a whole thing out but frankly I kept coming up with the same answer. Why would town let me win and not republic? Surely admitting that I was scum seals my own fate, and they couldn't figure out that republic was scum, so to the town it would look like I might be simply targeting a townie to die for my own designs. Additionally, radish then made a claim that he had a 100% hit rate if he delayed his action result the next night. Which, frankly would have completely upset that plan and doomed me to failure before even beginning.

I made the point that claiming unlynchable is a scum claim. I made that point abundantly clear. I wondered why last game, when I claimed unlynchable, people still wanted to lynch me, and yet here they did not. Face it. Town was not thinking clearly.

I gave the town their only option to win and they did not take it.

The claim that I made (being cait sith) is very similar to what you are suggesting above except it had two major factors. It introduced the possibility of a third remaining antagonist, which would be necessary should stefl be cured of silence, and it also gave a reason why town should let me win instead of republic. I'm the SK, town are going to lose. If you're going to lose, at least lose to the SK because it rarely happens. Additionally, the claim I made was at least still a lie, technically still playing the game. If I were to lay everything on the table, like you endorse, it would've felt like a major cop out and frankly I wasn't going to do that. It felt cheap.

So you see, not only are your suggestions wrong, but I've already thought of them days before the game was over and even overcame the flaws of those suggestions.

The town was the only factor I could not predict correctly. I expected town to be smart.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

kantor, the point was that if we lynched homer or ff we would know a member of scum.

Lynching dsister did not solve that problem. 

As it turned out, we ended up knowing a member of scum the following day - indeed, the same one we would have known had we lynched Final-Fan.

So the only difference was the killing of a roleblocker over a vanilla.

Unfortunately, we were going for Homer, so we would have lynched him, and he would have killed the last two people to vote for him.

That was only by sheer luck.

1) It was because of vette's really really overpowered ability 
2) The fact that had either me or homer claimed, and he included us in the list, his question would have been wasted. As it was, it was sheer luck that he risked verifying so many names and having them all be truthful. Very risky, huge payoff.

2) The difference is that a roleblocker is infinitely useful in endgame. Had you lynched ff and not dsis, town may have won. The point being that all it took on the final day was one lynch for either me or republic to win, because at night either one of us would kill someone else leaving 1 town and 1 ant and 1 silenced. Now, if there was a roleblocker, he wouldn't get the night kill leaving another townie. Enough to lynch the remaining ant. 

3) He did not kill the last two people to vote for him. Do you see how much you just gloss over important details? And no, you weren't going for homer. FF was almost surely getting lynched, because if ff was town, it meant homer was mafia, and if homer was mafia it didn't necessarily mean the ff was town, but could rather be another mafia that homer was clearing.

I was going for Homer before anyone else other than j0 considered Homer, and at that point you were all ridiculing me for being so ridiculous with my accusation.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

I was going for Homer before anyone else other than j0 considered Homer, and at that point you were all ridiculing me for being so ridiculous with my accusation.

Sorry for the misinterpretation. I'm not saying you were wrong, I'm just saying that town was going to lynch FF which would have proved that Homer was guilty. 

Lynching dsister instead did not solve the problem. Homers accusation of FF was very thorough. It was so concrete unfortunately, that FF being innocent would have proved Homer to be antagonist. 

What I'm saying is that if we had lynched homer instead of FF, FF could have still been mafia. In fact, had it been a mafia plot, it would have been a very successful one, because if either one turned up guilty, it would basically clear the other person. However, the strongest evidence that could have come from the lynch was to lynch the innocent person.

theprof00 said:
Kantor said:

Sorry for the misinterpretation. I'm not saying you were wrong, I'm just saying that town was going to lynch FF which would have proved that Homer was guilty. 

Lynching dsister instead did not solve the problem. Homers accusation of FF was very thorough. It was so concrete unfortunately, that FF being innocent would have proved Homer to be antagonist. 

What I'm saying is that if we had lynched homer instead of FF, FF could have still been mafia. In fact, had it been a mafia plot, it would have been a very successful one, because if either one turned up guilty, it would basically clear the other person. However, the strongest evidence that could have come from the lynch was to lynch the innocent person.

I suppose you're right on this.

Lesson for the town: Don't suck quite so much next time.

I wish I could play the next game, sounds awesome

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

dsister said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Thank you for backing me up on the chance to miss point!

As for the game post-mortem I'm proud of the game I played, sometimes time-constraints prevented me from doing things in time (like organizing the No Lynch votes on the day Heph died), I don't regret lynching dsister at all, he was barely playing and his choice of night action were awful. I correctly identified GoW, Homer and prof as scum.

Also it turns out that it was me who unstoned Hatmoza and I pointed radish in the right direction for him to unstone darth by asking him questions about his items.

So if you blocked someone and there was no mafia kill what would you have done the second day? And how big is the screen you are using now? 

It was obvious that Porum and Palom blocked the mafia Night One.  I'm not sure why you thought it was you.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:

I suppose you're right on this.
Lesson for the town: Don't suck quite so much next time.
I wish I could play the next game, sounds awesome

No, he's really not.  He's suggesting a three-way Mexican standoff of mafia:  GoW accusing Homer accusing me accusing GoW.  It's a recipe for self-destruction!  A totally insane psycho-gambit, which is why prof loves the idea so much. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!