By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Good News to the European Wii Gamers on this site

I was pretty excited about the virtual console until I heard that many games run at 50 Hz with slowdown instead of running at proper speed. From wikipedia:

With the launch of the Wii in territories using the PAL television system, it has become apparent that in most cases the games supplied for the Virtual Console run in 50Hz mode and in their original unoptimized state. Unoptimized PAL games run roughly 17% slower than their original speed in 60Hz and have borders covering the top and the bottom of the screen. Setting the Wii console to 60Hz mode does not force the 50Hz game into 60Hz mode (as is possible on emulators and modified PAL consoles).

All currently released Nintendo 64 games are partially PAL optimized, resulting in full screen games (although still running in 50Hz and locked to the original slower gameplay speed). This optimization was not the case for the original cartridge versions of Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64 or Mario Kart 64, making the Virtual Console versions superior in that regard.

Additionally, some Super Nintendo games are also partially PAL optimized with reduced borders but still retaining the slower run speed of the original PAL release (Super Mario World, Super Probotector and Street Fighter II).

A select few games were already optimized in the original release to begin with, and are thus just as fast as their 60Hz counterparts this time around (The most obvious examples being Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest).

Turbografx games are the only Virtual Console games to actually run in 60Hz on PAL Wii systems; this is because the game data was never changed for release in PAL territories, the original hardware itself performed the conversion to a 50Hz signal.

One example of a poor PAL conversion is seen in the Virtual Console release of Sonic The Hedgehog, which retains the slower framerate and borders of the original PAL Mega Drive version,[58] despite the fact that the GameCube release Sonic Mega Collection allows PAL users to choose which version of the game they want to play.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

sure, now the dutch site doesn't work :/
it is like they hate me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

All the sites aren't working it seems! Is Anyone having a solution or do we just have to wait until traffic goes down?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

There is nothing about on Nintendo Europe website at all.

It's been up all the time for me.

The site has been working, but its very very slow, possible due to everybody at once trying to get their free wii points.

The more I think about it the more that I realise its a bit crap. Ive been saving my star points for just over a year now and im able to just get 3000 ponits.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

Where is there any reference at all to wii points and stars?

Where can you find the product code for your games and your Wii?
I've looked on the cover, on the disc and in the manuel :S

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Quit your bitching. NA users don't have anything like this at all!!! All we get is a crappy couple months of Nintendo Power (that doesn't exist anymore) or some cheat code. Blah. crappy.

superchunk said:
Quit your bitching. NA users don't have anything like this at all!!! All we get is a crappy couple months of Nintendo Power (that doesn't exist anymore) or some cheat code. Blah. crappy.

brawl , heroes  / crap?:P

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ryuhei said:
4:1 ratio, so 16 registered games = 1 N64 game download

That's pretty freaking good...  I wish we had that here...  I would have racked up a ton of free games.  I think it's a good deal!  A free game like Legend of Zelda OoT is nothing to complain about.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.