By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are we able to have animated GIF Avatars?

If we aren't able already, could we please have them in the forseeable future? It's a small addition, but it would be a very warm welcomed one.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Around the Network

why not just find an one and test it out for yourself?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I had a plan for an animated gif avatar in the future...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Wouldn't it cost a lot of bandwidth for an animated avatar since this site hosts said avatar? Although I wouldn't mind if it get implemented though, since I hand made a few animated avatar only to have no place to use it.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

It's allowed, but slightly frowned upon.

Around the Network

I don't think so. ioi a while back asked everyone to stop using animated gifs for signatures and what not. Personally, they kind of annoy me to see something continuously flashing or moving.

superchunk said:
I don't think so. ioi a while back asked everyone to stop using animated gifs for signatures and what not. Personally, they kind of annoy me to see something continuously flashing or moving.

I remember someone else trying to say you couldn't have animated avatars in your sig but no mod ever confirmed it and it never appears anywhere in the forum rules.  I'll keep my simple little flying guy, it helps me find my posts.   

You're flying guy isn't an issue. Its the ones that go crazy all over the screen or flash that are annoying.

Grey Acumen said:
why not just find an one and test it out for yourself?

Well, the avatar I have right now is supposed to be animated.

I was asking because some times websites have exact specifications that must be met before an avatar can function (dimensions, file size...).

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

ioi said:
No we can't i'm afraid. When we resize the pic it loses any multi-picture properties - i.e a gif.

ioi, would it be possible to set rules instead of having an auto resize?

For instance, set a rule that you can't upload an avatar of a size bigger than 100 pixels by 100 pixels (the current resizing scheme). Then set a rule that the avatar can't be bigger than, say, 200k in size?

That way, no one could upload an avatar that was greater than those dimensions and size, and we could salvage animated gifs.