By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS Move Ad Trash Talks The Wii

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Monster Hunter Tri outsold basically all Capcom's HD games except RE5, DMC4 and SF4 (and all combined only, bar RE5), and it's vastly outperformed it's PS2 predecessors (by like 3:1 over MH2, 4:1 over MH1) so that game's sales aren't exactly a mark against it.  Besides, it's use of motion control is pretty well mitigated (only some pointer menu selection is mandatory) and it's even (optionally) bundled with a CCPro in all markets, I'm not really sure why it's even really being brought up in the thread on motion control?  Why not compare a game that actually uses motion control intrinsically (like Zack & Wiki) for comparison?

Or Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles?

Or Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid: Other M even?

Call of Duty 3, World at War, 4?

Red Steel, Red Steel 2?

The Conduit?

Punch-Out!!?

Mad World?

Zack and Wiki if you so want to go there too.

Most of those games use pretty standard controls that are contextually adapted (like Madworld), or mainly just  pointer controls (essentially a lightgun, which all those railgunners and FPS/TPS use).  And Punch-Out is best played NES style even.  None are really all that close to a "waggle-fest" mini-game comp like Carnival Games.  Hell, in terms of actually interface, even something like Heavy Rain comes closer than probably everything up there besides maybe MadWorld, and that's despite Heavy Rain using dual analogs and button presses.

And actually, if Carnival Games were a PS3 game, it's be the 8th best selling 3rd party title funny enough.  And the 2nd best selling exclusive one.  Interesting.

Yet they are still motion control games. So I don't see your point... They are all motion controlled games on the same platform. You really have no way out of it...

And not necessarily. Because the PS3 userbase isn't a userbase filled with children and old people who buy games like that. It would be lucky to sell 500k on the PS3 really...

Around the Network

why is that an attack on wii? even if wii didn't exist they could use the same sentence in their ad... meaning that this (the product itself) is very precise and accurate so trying to cut corners and wiggle it won't work (you have to work it and be really good to success at gaming using this product)... this is other way, and perfectly plausible, to read that statement... people are always jumping into conclusions to feed the console war...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

leo-j said:

lmao you think that's mean?

www.yaybuttons.com

www.movevsstuff.com

the bolted one is so funny...
yes i admit it is some sort of trash talking but if its the company believes that buttons are important why can't they say it out laud? people are getting so sensitive these days, and cripple their own life, just to punish some faceless corporation because they are mean, by not playing some awesome games or some other thing... fanboys are making more bad things to them selfs, than to big corporations...

what have the competition (or you fanboys) have to say about move? other then the dildo and copy argument of course (we all have heard that by now)! bash it, i wan't to see some good arguments (like the "but tons" one)...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

adsl said:
BHR-3 said:

how do you play when charging ur wiimote?

No, I replace the batteries... I think now you got what I was trying to say =)

Why would you want a device that requires you to replace the batteries? Laptops, cell phones, Ipods, Cameras, almost all electronics use rechargeable batteries now days. Are you really trying to convince yourself that for video game controllers, replacing batteries is the winning formula? A full charge for the Move lasts 10 hours for continuous play. I'd like to see you play for that long non stop without taking even the slightest bit of break.  

RVDondaPC said:
adsl said:
BHR-3 said:

how do you play when charging ur wiimote?

No, I replace the batteries... I think now you got what I was trying to say =)

Why would you want a device that requires you to replace the batteries? Laptops, cell phones, Ipods, Cameras, almost all electronics use rechargeable batteries now days. Are you really trying to convince yourself that for video game controllers, replacing batteries is the winning formula? A full charge for the Move lasts 10 hours for continuous play. I'd like to see you play for that long non stop without taking even the slightest bit of break.  

You can also leave move on charge while you are asleep adsl, now stop making up excuses

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

Firstly, why are Wii fans upset over this advert? Because he tells the truth and says you don't have to just flick your wrist?

Secondly, will we see these same people complaining about Nintendo the next time they try mock 3D Glasses? I have them all marked down so I will bring them back up

Thirdly, Sony fans were never mocking Nintendo because the controller itself. They were mocking the shitty games that the controller spawned. Games where you have to move your remote left and right at a stupid speed to try and swim. Games with VERY low production values just pushed out to make a quick profit off a userbase that allows itself to be milked.

A lot of Wii owners themselves are now starting to complain about the games releasing on Wii. The difference is... PS3 (And even 360) fans noticed this years ago. Not just in the past year.

Sony are now doing motion controls the way they SHOULD be done. Accurately. Nintendo fans don't like this because deep down, they know that this is what they want Nintendo  and 3rd parties to do with Wii. It's called jealousy. Who cares if the Wii sells more? Or Wii games will sell more? Just because it sells more doesn't mean it's a better quality experience. Is Carnival Games a better videogame than Monster Hunter Tri?

lol.  More money was likely poured into what eventually became "Wii Sports" than most budget busting HD games.  Social phenomenons don't just develop themselves overnight, and Nintendo actually spends more total on gaming R&D than any other console manufacturer.  Say what you want about the sad state of 3rd party wares, but Nintendo's own motion based Wii games are extremely high quality, extremely responsive and (with Motion Plus) extremely precise and accurate.  And have been for years now, the market itself reflects that.  Looking at Sony's own Move software slate, their "plan" is to shamelessly crib most of them too, just without calling them Move Sports, Move Play, Move Party, Move Crossbow Training, etc.  I guess that gives them something over Microsoft at least, Kinect's even more blatantly cloning in it's software, though not it's implementation.

Also, Nintendo has a right to mock 3D glasses.  They tried them back in 1995, and it failed spectacularly. ;)

Should I link you to the countless threads and comments about how 3rd parties hate Wii. Wii owners don't get treat as well as HD owners. 3rd parties don't get Wii. Etc... ?

And Nintendo shamelessly copied Eye Toy Play. And Eye Toy Kinetic too. Don't see you complaining about those 2 games thoguh do we? They even copied the name for the first one... Nintendo are such copies and can't think of anything themselves D: Oh no! " ;) "

Sony have a right to mock motion control games. They tried them back in  2003. It didn't fail spectacularly " ;) "

Who's talking about 3rd parties, that was my point?  I'm talking about Nintendo and Sony (and Microsoft I guess).  The best 3rd party motion effort for  Wii was a repurposed RE4... which again, actually isn't too different from what we see with Move and it's repurposed RE5 probably also being the best 3rd party game upfront.

Also, I take it you haven't actually played both Wii Play and EyeToy play?  They're actually pretty different, the main thing they seem to share in common is having "Play" in the title (and for Wii Play that's only in the western release actually, in Japan it translate to "My First Wii" or something along those lines).  Wii Play actually copies (or rather remakes, but copies works too for the game design) a variety of other older games like Duck Hunt and Tank, if you want to start getting into the actual games.   Wii Fit also isn't really anything like EyeToy Kinetic (beyond both being vaguely "fitness games"), none of these games are near as straight or blatant a line as going from Wii Sports/Resort to Sports Champions is.

Sony certainly has a right to mock motion control, and they did, mercilessly.  That's what makes the utter hypocrisy of their current about face so richly evident.  Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess...

Seeing as I mentioned 3rd parties, and YOU quoted ME... What's your point? If you don't want to talk about 3rd parties don't reply to me when I clearly talk about 3rd parties in the post you replied to. It's not just Nintendo who make games for the Wii.

I've played both, I was just showing how pathetic the whole "OMGZ D: Sony teh copies!" bullshit is. It can be easily turned on Nintendo fans, who so love to bring it up at every opportunity. As for the jump from Wii Sports/Resort to Sports Champions. When something works so well and shows off your product so well... Why bother using somethign else when you can simply improve on that idea? Do we complain at car manufacturers for copying (and then improving on) things from other cars?

Desperate times? What desperate times? PS3 has been on a constant rise, sales wise every year since release and is now profiting for Sony. They have great 1st party AND 3rd party support and look to have even better support in the coming Months/ Years. Which is more than I can say for a certain other console... Maybe Sony aren't the ones who you should be pinning the "desperate" tag onto right now.

Well, what's the point of bringing up 3rd parties even?  Do you think that was Sony's intention with the ad was  "hey look at all those shitty Wii games from Activision/EA/T2/Ubisoft/Namco/Sega/etc... now buy all these cool Move games from our friends at Activision/EA/T2/Ubisoft/Namco/Sega/etc"?   Is it the 3rd party games that define the Wii?  If not, how would one go from Sony's advertising to that?

And uh, it seems the copy argument can't be so easily "turned around" given you yourself are acknowledging Wii Play/Fit aren't really much like EyeToy Play/Kinetic, while Sports Champions is pretty blatant copy of Wii Sports/Resort.  I don't like delving into the copy argument either, nearly all creation takes from what came before it some level, but the hipocrasy of Sony on motion controls (both in rhetoric and implementation) and the complete 180 they've taken over the past year or so does kinda open that up and bring it to the forefront.

And wow, who knew being in 3rd place and billions in the hole could be so great.  No doubt Nintendo's looking to copy the PS3 business model asap, it totally makes sense.

Because 3rd parties make games for Wii...? And the intention of the advert was to show that they have accurate motion control. Not stupid motion where you just need to flick your wrist. Is it such a crime to promote your superior product?

No. They might not be the exact same gameplay wise... It just shows they still copied the name for Wii Play and the fitness game idea from Eye Toy Kinetic. They pretty much did what Sony are doing. Copy the idea, but improve upon it in a bunch of ways. And who cares if they DID mock it? It's business! Every company does it. Even your precious Nintendo. It has nothing to do with this thread and it shouldn't be brought up in every PS Move thread. It should be bannable.

3rd place and billions in the hole... Yet Up YoY again, and has better 3rd party support than the iPhone. Wahey.

Of course not, the 'crime' in this instance is hypocrisy.  Sony's really opened themselves up to it though.

Eh, Wii Fit is so fundamentally different from EyeToy Kinetic in about every facet, that it's a stretch. It's like saying Sega copied Capcom's SF2 with Virtua Fighter.  Fitness games preceeded Kinetic too, if you really want to go down that road even, you're essentially equating making a wholly original title in the same genre to "copying an idea".  Sony's practically lifting game designs wholesale for Sports Champions, for another fighter comparison that's more like going from VF to Tekken or DOA.  These instances of "copying" are so far apart, they're not even comparable.

Last place is the best place! <3

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

Firstly, why are Wii fans upset over this advert? Because he tells the truth and says you don't have to just flick your wrist?

Secondly, will we see these same people complaining about Nintendo the next time they try mock 3D Glasses? I have them all marked down so I will bring them back up

Thirdly, Sony fans were never mocking Nintendo because the controller itself. They were mocking the shitty games that the controller spawned. Games where you have to move your remote left and right at a stupid speed to try and swim. Games with VERY low production values just pushed out to make a quick profit off a userbase that allows itself to be milked.

A lot of Wii owners themselves are now starting to complain about the games releasing on Wii. The difference is... PS3 (And even 360) fans noticed this years ago. Not just in the past year.

Sony are now doing motion controls the way they SHOULD be done. Accurately. Nintendo fans don't like this because deep down, they know that this is what they want Nintendo  and 3rd parties to do with Wii. It's called jealousy. Who cares if the Wii sells more? Or Wii games will sell more? Just because it sells more doesn't mean it's a better quality experience. Is Carnival Games a better videogame than Monster Hunter Tri?

lol.  More money was likely poured into what eventually became "Wii Sports" than most budget busting HD games.  Social phenomenons don't just develop themselves overnight, and Nintendo actually spends more total on gaming R&D than any other console manufacturer.  Say what you want about the sad state of 3rd party wares, but Nintendo's own motion based Wii games are extremely high quality, extremely responsive and (with Motion Plus) extremely precise and accurate.  And have been for years now, the market itself reflects that.  Looking at Sony's own Move software slate, their "plan" is to shamelessly crib most of them too, just without calling them Move Sports, Move Play, Move Party, Move Crossbow Training, etc.  I guess that gives them something over Microsoft at least, Kinect's even more blatantly cloning in it's software, though not it's implementation.

Also, Nintendo has a right to mock 3D glasses.  They tried them back in 1995, and it failed spectacularly. ;)

Should I link you to the countless threads and comments about how 3rd parties hate Wii. Wii owners don't get treat as well as HD owners. 3rd parties don't get Wii. Etc... ?

And Nintendo shamelessly copied Eye Toy Play. And Eye Toy Kinetic too. Don't see you complaining about those 2 games thoguh do we? They even copied the name for the first one... Nintendo are such copies and can't think of anything themselves D: Oh no! " ;) "

Sony have a right to mock motion control games. They tried them back in  2003. It didn't fail spectacularly " ;) "

Who's talking about 3rd parties, that was my point?  I'm talking about Nintendo and Sony (and Microsoft I guess).  The best 3rd party motion effort for  Wii was a repurposed RE4... which again, actually isn't too different from what we see with Move and it's repurposed RE5 probably also being the best 3rd party game upfront.

Also, I take it you haven't actually played both Wii Play and EyeToy play?  They're actually pretty different, the main thing they seem to share in common is having "Play" in the title (and for Wii Play that's only in the western release actually, in Japan it translate to "My First Wii" or something along those lines).  Wii Play actually copies (or rather remakes, but copies works too for the game design) a variety of other older games like Duck Hunt and Tank, if you want to start getting into the actual games.   Wii Fit also isn't really anything like EyeToy Kinetic (beyond both being vaguely "fitness games"), none of these games are near as straight or blatant a line as going from Wii Sports/Resort to Sports Champions is.

Sony certainly has a right to mock motion control, and they did, mercilessly.  That's what makes the utter hypocrisy of their current about face so richly evident.  Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess...

Seeing as I mentioned 3rd parties, and YOU quoted ME... What's your point? If you don't want to talk about 3rd parties don't reply to me when I clearly talk about 3rd parties in the post you replied to. It's not just Nintendo who make games for the Wii.

I've played both, I was just showing how pathetic the whole "OMGZ D: Sony teh copies!" bullshit is. It can be easily turned on Nintendo fans, who so love to bring it up at every opportunity. As for the jump from Wii Sports/Resort to Sports Champions. When something works so well and shows off your product so well... Why bother using somethign else when you can simply improve on that idea? Do we complain at car manufacturers for copying (and then improving on) things from other cars?

Desperate times? What desperate times? PS3 has been on a constant rise, sales wise every year since release and is now profiting for Sony. They have great 1st party AND 3rd party support and look to have even better support in the coming Months/ Years. Which is more than I can say for a certain other console... Maybe Sony aren't the ones who you should be pinning the "desperate" tag onto right now.

Well, what's the point of bringing up 3rd parties even?  Do you think that was Sony's intention with the ad was  "hey look at all those shitty Wii games from Activision/EA/T2/Ubisoft/Namco/Sega/etc... now buy all these cool Move games from our friends at Activision/EA/T2/Ubisoft/Namco/Sega/etc"?   Is it the 3rd party games that define the Wii?  If not, how would one go from Sony's advertising to that?

And uh, it seems the copy argument can't be so easily "turned around" given you yourself are acknowledging Wii Play/Fit aren't really much like EyeToy Play/Kinetic, while Sports Champions is pretty blatant copy of Wii Sports/Resort.  I don't like delving into the copy argument either, nearly all creation takes from what came before it some level, but the hipocrasy of Sony on motion controls (both in rhetoric and implementation) and the complete 180 they've taken over the past year or so does kinda open that up and bring it to the forefront.

And wow, who knew being in 3rd place and billions in the hole could be so great.  No doubt Nintendo's looking to copy the PS3 business model asap, it totally makes sense.

Because 3rd parties make games for Wii...? And the intention of the advert was to show that they have accurate motion control. Not stupid motion where you just need to flick your wrist. Is it such a crime to promote your superior product?

No. They might not be the exact same gameplay wise... It just shows they still copied the name for Wii Play and the fitness game idea from Eye Toy Kinetic. They pretty much did what Sony are doing. Copy the idea, but improve upon it in a bunch of ways. And who cares if they DID mock it? It's business! Every company does it. Even your precious Nintendo. It has nothing to do with this thread and it shouldn't be brought up in every PS Move thread. It should be bannable.

3rd place and billions in the hole... Yet Up YoY again, and has better 3rd party support than the iPhone. Wahey.

Of course not, the 'crime' in this instance is hypocrisy.  Sony's really opened themselves up to it though.

Eh, Wii Fit is so fundamentally different from EyeToy Kinetic in about every facet, that it's a stretch. It's like saying Sega copied Capcom's SF2 with Virtua Fighter.  Fitness games preceeded Kinetic too, if you really want to go down that road even, you're essentially equating making a wholly original title in the same genre to "copying an idea".  Sony's practically lifting game designs wholesale for Sports Champions, for another fighter comparison that's more like going from VF to Tekken or DOA.  These instances of "copying" are so far apart, they're not even comparable.

Last place is the best place! <3

And what does Sony's hypocrisy have to do with this thread?

Yet... Sony had a fitness game before Nintendo? Oh my god. Go start a thread quickly about it. Nintendo are copying scum! D: How DARE they! The great almighty Nintendo!?!!?! D:

Last place is the best place, when you get better 3rd party support than the iPhone <3

Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Monster Hunter Tri outsold basically all Capcom's HD games except RE5, DMC4 and SF4 (and all combined only, bar RE5), and it's vastly outperformed it's PS2 predecessors (by like 3:1 over MH2, 4:1 over MH1) so that game's sales aren't exactly a mark against it.  Besides, it's use of motion control is pretty well mitigated (only some pointer menu selection is mandatory) and it's even (optionally) bundled with a CCPro in all markets, I'm not really sure why it's even really being brought up in the thread on motion control?  Why not compare a game that actually uses motion control intrinsically (like Zack & Wiki) for comparison?

Red Steel, Red Steel 2?

The Conduit?

Punch-Out!!?

Mad World?

Most of those games use pretty standard controls that are contextually adapted (like Madworld), or mainly just  pointer controls (essentially a lightgun, which all those railgunners and FPS/TPS use).  And Punch-Out is best played NES style even.  None are really all that close to a "waggle-fest" mini-game comp like Carnival Games.  Hell, in terms of actually interface, even something like Heavy Rain comes closer than probably everything up there besides maybe MadWorld, and that's despite Heavy Rain using dual analogs and button presses.

And actually, if Carnival Games were a PS3 game, it's be the 8th best selling 3rd party title funny enough.  And the 2nd best selling exclusive one.  Interesting.

Yet they are still motion control games. So I don't see your point... They are all motion controlled games on the same platform. You really have no way out of it...

And not necessarily. Because the PS3 userbase isn't a userbase filled with children and old people who buy games like that. It would be lucky to sell 500k on the PS3 really...

Way out of what?  Carnival Games found an audience and did great, it was the right game at the right time with the right push.  Sadly, that's something few 3rd parties have really managed on Wii.  Still, the games you brought up don't make for the best of comparison due to use of motion control (it's either optional, negligible or mainly pointer control for everything but MadWorld), and nearly all them also met or exceeded expectations anyway.

I also agree CG wouldn't have sold as well on PS3 though.  Different demographics, different priorities, different mindsets, different financial commitments and about half the userbase.  Though honestly, I'd say the same about most of Wii's exclusive million sellers (Just Dance, Mario & Sonic 1-2, Raving Rabbids 1-2, Red Steel, MH3, etc).

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Red Steel, Red Steel 2?

The Conduit?

Punch-Out!!?

Mad World?

Way out of what?  Carnival Games found an audience and did great, it was the right game at the right time with the right push.  Sadly, that's something few 3rd parties have really managed on Wii.  Still, the games you brought up don't make for the best of comparison due to use of motion control (it's either optional, negligible or mainly pointer control for everything but MadWorld), and nearly all them also met or exceeded expectations anyway.

I also agree CG wouldn't have sold as well on PS3 though.  Different demographics, different priorities, different mindsets, different financial commitments and about half the userbase.  Though honestly, I'd say the same about most of Wii's exclusive million sellers (Just Dance, Mario & Sonic 1-2, Raving Rabbids 1-2, Red Steel, MH3, etc).

You're trying to make excuses... Yet all of them use motion control. So as I said, there is no way out of it. Doesn't matter if they don't use it as much, they still use it. How do you know they all met or exceeded expectations? Did the developers of each game say so, or are you just making things up?

Oh...

And while you're here. Why don't you answer point 1 that I asked earlier. You seem vocal in this thread so come on.

Why are Nintendo fans (you) so upset over this advert?