By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS Move Ad Trash Talks The Wii

oniyide said:

@mettallicube  oh brother, lets get some facts here, Sony was developing a motion control before Ninty. 

Not actually true, the Wii remote was being prototyped before GC launch even (ie: 2000 and earlier).  Factor-5 even used a prelaunch prototype when they were developing Rogue Leader, the only reason Nintendo didn't use it earlier was due to manufacturing price concerns.  Nintendo's first use of tilt/motion controls goes back to the 1990s, when they developed the tilt sensor for GB games (first used in Kirby's Tilt'n Tumble in mid-2000).  They also experimented with augmented reality in the 1990s, even having some plans make it to the announced retail phase (Game Boy camera support for Perfect Dark face mapping being one).

A lot of technologies Nintendo uses have spent years, decades even in some cases, in development.  The Virtual Console was originally planned for N64 (Famicom downloads actually be touted as a feature for the ill-fated 64DD), they developed a personal 3D screen for GameCube prelaunch (which Konno admitted they developed Luigi's Mansion with in mind), Miis reportedly were originally developed on the Famicom in the 1980s even.

Around the Network
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Jumpin said:

Bottom line, Sony has really gone downhill as a company:

1. Sony made an imitation product, and are now bashing the original product which they imitated; fairly dirty.
2. They went from first place and profitable to last place and losing billions.
3. They lost almost all of their important exclusives (the most important being Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy)
4. They're hypocrites: while Microsoft praised Nintendo's new innovations before making their own unique brand o Motion Controls, Sony bashed them before completely copying the (except with a mysterious pastel colour glow-ball on the end, probably to help the controller appeal to little girls who want to pretend they're Sailor Moon)

1. sigh how many times do we have to post proof that move is no imitator have you lot not seen enough of this video yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ and there is an earlier video from 2001

2. video gaming changes rapidly Nintendo have gone from first to last as well look at what happened when ps first came out, i would not bet at wii staying up there for the rest of the gen, sorry but it is in decline now, your are right about losses but look at all the advancements made in gaming because of them, i have never seen anything as amazing as ps3, but just you watch wii2 will go HD and you all will start jumping on the HD bandwagon (hypocrites)

3. They have not lost all their important exclusives they just chose to let some of them go that's all, meanwhile sony is creating new innovative and exciting I.P's unlike others who just seem to be releasing re-hashed games... yawn

4. wrong they was going on about their own technology they though originally that move may have the same fate as eyetoy, even tho it sold well, long term software sales did die quickly, but since they saw that wii managed to keep the sales up for it's motion control device, they finally decided to unleash it.

Finally kinect is nothing new I love how all you hypocrites are calling it new well hello eyetoy hits you bam in the face, so far all the games are so much like eyetoy games it''s obvious, atleast move is innovating already, first RTS (RUSE) and echochrome ii is totally fresh

So Kinect is a copy of Eye Toy, but the Move is Not a copy of the Wii mote. Interesting. What if some shoddy youtube video with a date of 1999 was shown and MS claimed they had this tech in mind waaaay before Eye Toy was released...Nah what am I saying you'd probably call that video a joke. Sports Champions is innovating. Not like I haven't seen those games before. You can't have it both ways, love.

I said nothing about sport champions innovating, it only improves on WSR, what i did say innovated was echochrome ii, like i said above i think i am wasting my time now if you all want to be ignorant, that is fine by me

No need for name calling. Improves on WSR? In what way? From what I've seen it looks inferior. Understand, tech is meaningless if it doesn't have software to back it up. And considering I am the consumer Sony wishes to reach to Move, they are going to have to try harder than a few Wii knock off titles to convince me.

None of the Move games are innovative, they have been done before. I was just exposing your argument about Kinect being a ripped off Eye Toy, which I believe it is. But I believe you can't hold kinect to that standard if you don't also hold the move to that standard. That being that its a Wii mote knock off. An extra accelerometer here or there ain't gonna change that.

But I've seen your posts before, so I'm probably the one wasting MY time.

I DID NOT CALL YOU NAMES. To do that i would have todo more than what I did, right go watch the iWaggle channel and find the sports champions demo he did then please tell me if wsr is able to do it as well because that guy has played on wii sports resort as well and knows all it's flaws, so I am not the only one saying this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOIbYuJN6Nw, then watch the video leo posted.

Echochrome II is not innovate?? ok then spin away.

Finally it's not just one extra accelerometer, it has a magnet and a camera, and what about the gyros, what about augmented reality, what about object modelling, all you have to do is look at the tch demo's for an example of each being used, and augmented reality is already in start the party

at least if you are going to try and make out that wii is better please try and post proof, not unless you believe that extra precision makes it worse.... also you have not played move and wii motion plus with wsr like I have, so right now like it or not you are biased...

I didn't say Wii was better or worst. I just said the games shown are inferior to their Wii counterparts. I've demoed Move at Best Buy and was not impressed at all. No need to spin anything. Proof is in the pudding, Wii's the dominant console this gen, so oviously the market believes Wii to be of more value.

Again, Tech means absolutely nada, if the software tied to it isn't compelling. We are gamers we talk about games on forums and all, but the mainstream gamer that Sony is attempted to woo with this product may not be. And regardless of your tech talk, it will be all for naught as many will look at Move and see the ipod's Zune.

Call me what you will, biased whatever. I could easily point to how you claim Kinect is a Eye toy rip off, but in the same sentence claim Move is NOT a Wii rip off..Come on..just look at them. Perhaps you are biased. Take off the glasses..Or put them on to play Killzone 3 with Move in 3D! Bad joke..sorry lol.

Here's the thing. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. I'm not trying to argue on behalf of any particular company or be a company cheerleader and get pist or annoyed with someone with a difference in opinion. That energy is better used some where else.

You are excited for Move, that's cool. I'm not. That's cool too. I guess we can leave it at that.

As for the actual ad..not so sure its as big a deal as has been made. BHR made quite a title to get posts in his thread..hats off to that.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Dammm this thread turned into another "Sony's move is a ugly rip-off o Wii Remote" thread pretty quickly!

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Jumpin said:

1. Sony made an imitation product, and are now bashing the original product which they imitated; fairly dirty.
3. They lost almost all of their important exclusives (the most important being Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy)
4. They're hypocrites: while Microsoft praised Nintendo's new innovations before making their own unique brand o Motion Controls, Sony bashed them before completely copying the (except with a mysterious pastel colour glow-ball on the end, probably to help the controller appeal to little girls who want to pretend they're Sailor Moon)

1. sigh how many times do we have to post proof that move is no imitator have you lot not seen enough of this video yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ and there is an earlier video from 2001

2. video gaming changes rapidly Nintendo have gone from first to last as well look at what happened when ps first came out, i would not bet at wii staying up there for the rest of the gen, sorry but it is in decline now, your are right about losses but look at all the advancements made in gaming because of them, i have never seen anything as amazing as ps3, but just you watch wii2 will go HD and you all will start jumping on the HD bandwagon (hypocrites)

3. They have not lost all their important exclusives they just chose to let some of them go that's all, meanwhile sony is creating new innovative and exciting I.P's unlike others who just seem to be releasing re-hashed games... yawn

4. wrong they was going on about their own technology they though originally that move may have the same fate as eyetoy, even tho it sold well, long term software sales did die quickly, but since they saw that wii managed to keep the sales up for it's motion control device, they finally decided to unleash it.

Finally kinect is nothing new I love how all you hypocrites are calling it new well hello eyetoy hits you bam in the face, so far all the games are so much like eyetoy games it''s obvious, atleast move is innovating already, first RTS (RUSE) and echochrome ii is totally fresh

So Kinect is a copy of Eye Toy, but the Move is Not a copy of the Wii mote. Interesting. What if some shoddy youtube video with a date of 1999 was shown and MS claimed they had this tech in mind waaaay before Eye Toy was released...Nah what am I saying you'd probably call that video a joke. Sports Champions is innovating. Not like I haven't seen those games before. You can't have it both ways, love.

I said nothing about sport champions innovating, it only improves on WSR, what i did say innovated was echochrome ii, like i said above i think i am wasting my time now if you all want to be ignorant, that is fine by me

No need for name calling. Improves on WSR? In what way? From what I've seen it looks inferior. Understand, tech is meaningless if it doesn't have software to back it up. And considering I am the consumer Sony wishes to reach to Move, they are going to have to try harder than a few Wii knock off titles to convince me.

None of the Move games are innovative, they have been done before. I was just exposing your argument about Kinect being a ripped off Eye Toy, which I believe it is. But I believe you can't hold kinect to that standard if you don't also hold the move to that standard. That being that its a Wii mote knock off. An extra accelerometer here or there ain't gonna change that.

I DID NOT CALL YOU NAMES. To do that i would have todo more than what I did, right go watch the iWaggle channel and find the sports champions demo he did then please tell me if wsr is able to do it as well because that guy has played on wii sports resort as well and knows all it's flaws, so I am not the only one saying this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOIbYuJN6Nw, then watch the video leo posted.

Finally it's not just one extra accelerometer, it has a magnet and a camera, and what about the gyros, what about augmented reality, what about object modelling, all you have to do is look at the tch demo's for an example of each being used, and augmented reality is already in start the party

at least if you are going to try and make out that wii is better please try and post proof, not unless you believe that extra precision makes it worse.... also you have not played move and wii motion plus with wsr like I have, so right now like it or not you are biased...

I didn't say Wii was better or worst. I just said the games shown are inferior to their Wii counterparts. I've demoed Move at Best Buy and was not impressed at all. No need to spin anything. Proof is in the pudding, Wii's the dominant console this gen, so oviously the market believes Wii to be of more value.

Again, Tech means absolutely nada, if the software tied to it isn't compelling. We are gamers we talk about games on forums and all, but the mainstream gamer that Sony is attempted to woo with this product may not be. And regardless of your tech talk, it will be all for naught as many will look at Move and see the ipod's Zune.

Call me what you will, biased whatever. I could easily point to how you claim Kinect is a Eye toy rip off, but in the same sentence claim Move is NOT a Wii rip off..Come on..just look at them. Perhaps you are biased. Take off the glasses..Or put them on to play Killzone 3 with Move in 3D! Bad joke..sorry lol.

Here's the thing. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. I'm not trying to argue on behalf of any particular company or be a company cheerleader and get pist or annoyed with someone with a difference in opinion. That energy is better used some where else.

You are excited for Move, that's cool. I'm not. That's cool too. I guess we can leave it at that.

As for the actual ad..not so sure its as big a deal as has been made. BHR made quite a title to get posts in his thread..hats off to that.

I tried ps move at psn beta yet we have different views, and also the reviews disagree with you as well, saying it's no wii-copy and does improve upon wm plus, yes most of the games are average-mediocre ( fight night, kung fu rider), but there are really good release games out there, games which are more superior than the wii plus counter part like sports champions, ruse, hustle kings. The better games like socom 4, gt5, and sorcery are coming real soon, so we don't have to wait for long for good games, also you cannot deny the potential it has considering the tech demo's that anton showed off, seriously are you telling me things like object modelling so you could have your own in game assets on console games would not interest you??

Also lool wii has been out for 4 years of course move has less sales silly, and wii was cheaper than ps3 which is what ultimately swayed it in nintendo's favour, although ps3 has sold very well considering how expensive it was, and still is to this day for some people.

I know several of my wii friends which are ready to upgrade from SD and are drooling over the move bundle, it won't steal the whole wii audience, this is I'm sure you will agree on.

Finally now I get you,I was only doing what's called reverse psychology and trying to make everyone realise just how biased they are, as they said move was a copy and kinect was not and it was new and that is why they will ignore move etc, as usual people think i'm having a jab at kinect...

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Jumpin said:

I tried ps move at psn beta yet we have different views, and also the reviews disagree with you as well, saying it's no wii-copy and does improve upon wm plus, yes most of the games are average-mediocre ( fight night, kung fu rider), but there are really good release games out there, games which are more superior than the wii plus counter part like sports champions, ruse, hustle kings. The better games like socom 4, gt5, and sorcery are coming real soon, so we don't have to wait for long for good games, also you cannot deny the potential it has considering the tech demo's that anton showed off, seriously are you telling me things like object modelling so you could have your own in game assets on console games would not interest you??

Also lool wii has been out for 4 years of course move has less sales silly, and wii was cheaper than ps3 which is what ultimately swayed it in nintendo's favour, although ps3 has sold very well considering how expensive it was, and still is to this day for some people.

I know several of my wii friends which are ready to upgrade from SD and are drooling over the move bundle, it won't steal the whole wii audience, this is I'm sure you will agree on.

Finally now I get you,I was only doing what's called reverse psychology and trying to make everyone realise just how biased they are, as they said move was a copy and kinect was not and it was new and that is why they will ignore move etc, as usual people think i'm having a jab at kinect...

We'll have to agree to disagree. As I don't think Price is as big a factor to Wii's success as the software that was released. Not sure review scores mean much these days, love. I mean GTA4 a 10? lol.

There's potential in everything, Wii has potential, Move has potential, Kinect even has potential lol, yeah I said it haha. But the realization of that potential is what is the hard part. The thing is Wii out the box has Motion Controls its central to what the Wii is. Move/Kinect is an add on peripheral and historically, those have a bad track record for success.

I understand, I was doing pretty much the same thing just on a different perspective.

Who says Sony Fans and Nintendo Fans can't get along? ; p...I guess we're cool now...Until the next thread lol. jk.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Arius Dion said:
jneul said:
Jumpin said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. As I don't think Price is as big a factor to Wii's success as the software that was released. Not sure review scores mean much these days, love. I mean GTA4 a 10? lol.

There's potential in everything, Wii has potential, Move has potential, Kinect even has potential lol, yeah I said it haha. But the realization of that potential is what is the hard part. The thing is Wii out the box has Motion Controls its central to what the Wii is. Move/Kinect is an add on peripheral and historically, those have a bad track record for success.

I understand, I was doing pretty much the same thing just on a different perspective.

Who says Sony Fans and Nintendo Fans can't get along? ; p...I guess we're cool now...Until the next thread lol. jk.

As for reviews point taken, not even I think GTA4 deserves that score, sorry but to me it was overated, but I have played move an know that the 8-9 range is definitely hitting the right spot review wise, anything higher and basically it's not taken in the fact that yes motion control has been done before and even sega and atari had motion control scheme's (not that move or kinect is a copy, it's just motion control is not new anymore)

don't worry wiimote plus will shine in the new zelda and wii will keep on selling mad amount in my opinion, neither kinect nor move will steal the wii's thunder, not this year as as you say they are add-ons (not too sure which is the best selling add on lol, but eyetoy did pretty well at 10m)

ok sorry lool didn't realise you was doing the same as me haha serves me right . oh well, it's been fun atleast we understand each other better now, don't worry about it

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

@jarrod  here we go with "but Ninty actually did it first because in the early 90s before they even thought about Wii they had this periphial" im not even going to argue. Wheres your proof???? If you have no proof, then its just a rumor

oniyide said:

@jarrod  here we go with "but Ninty actually did it first because in the early 90s before they even thought about Wii they had this periphial" im not even going to argue. Wheres your proof???? If you have no proof, then its just a rumor

The "proof" would be Julian Eggebreght (former president of Factor-5) saying so... this came from an interview about Lair...

"When we were doing Star Wars: Rogue Leader for the GameCube actually, we had an early prototype of that controller, and that had motion control," he said. "So we thought for our style of gameplay - especially when it comes to flight - about motion control for a long time, so we were kind of anticipating it, and I was always keeping it in the back of my head."

... most of the other innovations I mentioned were found out about either by later interviews (the Luigi's Mansion 3D screen came from Konno's round of E3 interviews, Iwata had also commented previously that GCN's chipset had been made originally with 3D in mind) or by actually product announcements or releases (ie: Kirby's Tilt-N-Tumble, GB camera face mapping for Perfect Dark, Famicom downloads on 64DD).

jarrod said:
oniyide said:

The "proof" would be Julian Eggebreght (former president of Factor-5) saying so... this came from an interview about Lair...

"When we were doing Star Wars: Rogue Leader for the GameCube actually, we had an early prototype of that controller, and that had motion control," he said. "So we thought for our style of gameplay - especially when it comes to flight - about motion control for a long time, so we were kind of anticipating it, and I was always keeping it in the back of my head."

... most of the other innovations I mentioned were found out about either by later interviews (the Luigi's Mansion 3D screen came from Konno's round of E3 interviews, Iwata had also commented previously that GCN's chipset had been made originally with 3D in mind) or by actually product announcements or releases (ie: Kirby's Tilt-N-Tumble, GB camera face mapping for Perfect Dark, Famicom downloads on 64DD).

if it was gamecube era, that is more in the naughty's range then 90's at which time eyetoy was around, also you forget atari did motion control on consoles first, so nice try, also that link leads to a website and not the news you say it leads to....

PS VITA = LIFE

jneul said:
jarrod said:
oniyide said:

if it was gamecube era, that is more in the naughty's range then 90's at which time eyetoy was around, also you forget atari did motion control on consoles first, so nice try, also that link leads to a website and not the news you say it leads to....

It wasn't "Gamecube" era, it was pre-GameCube.  Factor-5 started working on GC tech in mid 2000, meaning if they saw a workable prototoype then, Nintendo was likely developing it yet at least a year earlier or so... also, EyeToy didn't release until 2003, while the Game Boy Camera came out in 1998 (and yes, it allowed "augmented reality" based gaming, though crude). Reportedly the Marks' concept for the EyeToy didn't manifest until 1999, a year after the GB Camera was already on shelves.

And for some reason the link's broken, though it's also used on Wikipedia.  I'll link to a forum repost of the article then instead.  :/

Nintendo's one of the most secretive companies in the industry, and among all game makers they seem to routinely have the fewest (if any) leaks.  They also have a reputation for slow baking concepts and prototyping for decades before deciding something's viable... I mean their first tactile motion based game actually came out back in 2000 (Kirby TNT) it's pretty clear they've been heading in this direction a pretty long time.