By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy Vs. Halo 3 Sales

DKII said:
cringer8 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
What game do you think will end up selling more copies? Super Mario Galaxy, or Halo 3? I think Super Mario Galaxy will sell more, for I think that more people will own a Wii, than an Xbox 360. I also think that there will be a higher percentage of Wii owners, whom will own Super Mario Galaxy, than Xbox 360 owners, whom will own Halo 3. What do you think?

You're using the word "whom" wrong.

Whom = Noun

Who = Pronoun

An easy way to remember: if there is a verb acting on the noun, it is a pronoun.

Examples: Who owns this?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

In the beginning, I would of said SMG, by a landslide.

Now.....I'm not so sure. Zelda: TP should of done even better than it has (4m) on the Wii.

Right now, it's too early to tell, but I'd say things are going Halo's way. SMG sold under 400,000 copies worldwide last week, despite being near holidays. Japanese sales have been abysmal, but can definately (and will) improve. The question is if SMG does 1m in Japan, or a whole lot more......Like 2.5-3m. If it fails to meet 2m+, it's a near-lock that H3 will win.

So at this point, I would say Halo will wind up with 11m-13.5m. SMG should sell around 8-10m. Definately not a failure by any, any stretch of the imagination.

However, having that 3.5m opening week for H3 might of been the tipping point (since SMG sold around 1.6m first week, and had a big 2nd week drop, ala H3).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

SMG will sell more but halo3 will have a better console to game ratio

SMG probably won't outsell Halo 3. I'd be stunned if it did.

SMG sells for its single player mode. Halo 3 sells for its online multiplayer.

Not only does this mean that fewer copies of Halo 3 will be sold back to Gamestop, but that more people will buy it for multiplayer anyway.

The game that will outsell Halo 3 is SSBB, as it will sell very well for its online multiplayer.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I don't quite agree with you, mrstickball, although I also happen to think that Halo will probably end up with 10m lifetime sales. I just think that Galaxy will ultimately end up higher than that, with a lower attach rate but higher overall sales due to the Wii's rapidly growing install base. By the end of 2009, there could be 60m Wiis out there compared to 30m 360s, and THAT is when you'll see Galaxy sales exceed those of Halo. Obviously it's all pure speculation at this point, of course.

I disagree that Twilight Princess should have done better than it has so far; it's closing in on 4m sales, and don't forget there were another 1.3m units moved on the Gamecube as well. Obviously you can't just add those numbers to the Wii sales, but at the same time there were definitely a fair number of people who couldn't find a Wii and therefore bought a Gamecube copy instead. Twilight Princess sales hold up fairly well against, say, Gears of War (4.8m) considering that the 360 had a humongous install base lead for most of this past year. Don't forget that Twilight Princess sold just shy of 25k this past week in America, and almost made the top 50 on the chart!

You're not going to make a lot of friends here by referring to Mario Galaxy sales in Japan as "abysmal." Dewey's Adventure sales were abysmal; a game that sells 1m+ is definitely not. That was probably not the best choice of words.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy will definately sell more then Halo 3 lifetime, simply because the Wii will have a higher install base. But anyway, I see both games selling amazingly well and somewhere around the 10 million range.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

jhlennon1 said:
Firstly, SMG ain't going to be selling millions in Japan.

Secondly, SMG will sell more then Halo 3 because of Europe sales. Pure and Simple. I think the US Halo 3 sales will be higher then the SMG US sales. So in the end, Europe sales will be the reason SMG outsells Halo 3.

I was going to call out Eugene on that but you got there first. Galaxy MAY do 1 million in Japan, my prediction is it will, but only just. USA however jhlennon is also Marios strongest area easily, [though this might be just due to GC failure in PAL/JP] So i agree, in N.America SMG should be behind H3 by maybe 1 million [6.5 to 5.5?] in Eu SMG should sell maybe 1 mil more, making them even... Japans extra 900k then becomes the advantage.

Super Mario Galaxy hasn't done great numbers in Japan and North America hasn't been that huge so it's impossible to tel if it ends up selling more than Halo 3. I think that after the holidays we might begin to guess, but until then...

It seems obvious to me that Super Mario Galaxy will win. Why? Install base.

If the Wii sells 300% more units than the 360 does in their lifetimes -- or more -- then Halo 3 can have a way higher attachment rate than Galaxy and still lose in number of games sold.

I think Halo 3 will in fact always have a higher attachment rate than SMG. That will not save it from being beaten in lifetime sales.

I don't understand how anyone would simultaneously predict that Wii will rule this hardware cycle with an iron fist and that Halo 3 will beat Galaxy in lifetime sales.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

DKII said:
cringer8 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
What game do you think will end up selling more copies? Super Mario Galaxy, or Halo 3? I think Super Mario Galaxy will sell more, for I think that more people will own a Wii, than an Xbox 360. I also think that there will be a higher percentage of Wii owners, whom will own Super Mario Galaxy, than Xbox 360 owners, whom will own Halo 3. What do you think?

You're using the word "whom" wrong.

Whom = Noun

Who = Pronoun

An easy way to remember: if there is a verb acting on the noun, it is a pronoun.

Examples: Who owns this? <-- In this sentence, the verb "own" is acting on the noun "who."

To whom does this belong? <-- In this sentence, the verb "does" is acting on the noun "this."

Who did what to whom?

Wow that is so wrong.

Who = subject
Whom = object

They're both pronouns.  It's like the difference between using "I" and "me". 

Hahaha, OMG, you got soooo OWNED!!!  Back on topic....based on the way sales of both consoles are going as of right now, it would be highly unlikely that SMG doesn't outsell Halo3 WW by generation end.  To that same affect though, it seems like plenty of Wii games aren't selling to their full/expected potential, so you just never know.  Another factor, how many NEW 360 owners buy Halo3...if it is a pretty high percentage, obviously more reasonable then the first month attach rate which was crazy, then Halo definitely has a really good chance.  Personally, I think Halo3 is the first game people making the jump to 360 are going to buy, but I think it will end up surprisingly close. 

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!