By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most bad ass looking villain

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

THis is about video games, not other forms of media. If we get into other forms of media, I can get into a number of literary figures who are considerably more iconic villains than Darth Vader is.

You base your statement about Bowser on... what?

Darth Vader has appeared in plenty of Video Games so... Yeah.

On opinion. Just like it also is for you.

But he's not iconic as a video game villain, which was the entire point. He's a movie villain, even in video games. I mean, you realize some video games have had God as the final boss, yeah?

And no, mine isn't based solely on opinion; subjective opinion on iconography is less than useless, it's actively deceitful because thee's no way for iconography to be meaningfully measured subjectively. One of the best ways to determine iconograpy is through recognizability, and without a meaningful level of study the only real way to extrapolate that is via

Wait for it

Waaaaait for it

Waaaaaaait for it

Sales.

Which meanns of course that the Goomba gets as much rrecognition as Bowser (or more), but that doesn't make it an iconographic villain, just an iconographic enemy.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

THis is about video games, not other forms of media. If we get into other forms of media, I can get into a number of literary figures who are considerably more iconic villains than Darth Vader is.

You base your statement about Bowser on... what?

Darth Vader has appeared in plenty of Video Games so... Yeah.

On opinion. Just like it also is for you.

But he's not iconic as a video game villain, which was the entire point. He's a movie villain, even in video games. I mean, you realize some video games have had God as the final boss, yeah?

And no, mine isn't based solely on opinion; subjective opinion on iconography is less than useless, it's actively deceitful because thee's no way for iconography to be meaningfully measured subjectively. One of the best ways to determine iconograpy is through recognizability, and without a meaningful level of study the only real way to extrapolate that is via

Wait for it

Waaaaait for it

Waaaaaaait for it

Sales.

Which meanns of course that the Goomba gets as much rrecognition as Bowser (or more), but that doesn't make it an iconographic villain, just an iconographic enemy.

This thread doesn't specify that they have had to become iconic FROM videogames though. As long as they are a videogame villain. And Darth Vader has appeared as a videogame villain on plenty of occasions. If you want God to win. Go for it. Your opinion, if you can bring yourself to back anything other than Bowser. I think it's Darth Vader though...

Yet Goomba's can still be counted as villains. Not just enemies... If you look at definitions of the word. Same goes for Bowser obviously. But whatever. If you want to say Bowser it's your choice.

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Wait for it

Waaaaait for it

Waaaaaaait for it

Sales.

This thread doesn't specify that they have had to become iconic FROM videogames though. As long as they are a videogame villain. And Darth Vader has appeared as a videogame villain on plenty of occasions. If you want God to win. Go for it. Your opinion, if you can bring yourself to back anything other than Bowser. I think it's Darth Vader though...

Yet Goomba's can still be counted as villains. Not just enemies... If you look at definitions of the word. Same goes for Bowser obviously. But whatever. If you want to say Bowser it's your choice.

Sorry, the dismissiv "that's, like, your opinion man" thing doesn't work so well on me, especially when the discussion at hand has nothing to do with iconography.

The distinction between enemy and villain is an extremely important one in literary contexts - Goombas are enemies, Bowser is a villain.

And no, it doesn't specify game villains in particular, but it's not about being iconographic, either, it's about being bad-ass looking, so you have no particular leg to stand on either way.

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Wait for it

Waaaaait for it

Waaaaaaait for it

Sales.

Sorry, the dismissiv "that's, like, your opinion man" thing doesn't work so well on me, especially when the discussion at hand has nothing to do with iconography.

The distinction between enemy and villain is an extremely important one in literary contexts - Goombas are enemies, Bowser is a villain.

And no, it doesn't specify game villains in particular, but it's not about being iconographic, either, it's about being bad-ass looking, so you have no particular leg to stand on either way.

Goomba's are also villains though if you look at definitions so... Yeah. Bowser is the MAIN villain, but Goomba's are still villains.

And you STARTED arguing about how iconic villains are after someone said they thought someone was the most iconic. So if it's nothing to do with the thread... Stop trying to argue with people!

Deal?

If anyone was 'badass'

It was Radec

"Being single is easier on the gaming life, and the wallet."

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Goomba's are also villains though if you look at definitions so... Yeah. Bowser is the MAIN villain, but Goomba's are still villains.

And you STARTED arguing about how iconic villains are after someone said they thought someone was the most iconic. So if it's nothing to do with the thread... Stop trying to argue with people!

Deal?

Even that doesnn't work; hatmoza and I were talking about video game villains. It was you and darth who introduced the idea of incorporating villains fromo other media. The original intent of that convrsation had nothing to do with movies and everything to do with games, period.

And no, I don't think I will. Setting boundaries for conversation is impotant, but shutting down discussion is neither necessary nor desirable.

And you can use Webster's or Oxford all you want, but in the context of a story there can be but one villain, one primary antagonist against whom the hero struggles, one Big Bad Guy. Bowser is that; Goombas are not.

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Deal?

Even that doesnn't work; hatmoza and I were talking about video game villains. It was you and darth who introduced the idea of incorporating villains fromo other media. The original intent of that convrsation had nothing to do with movies and everything to do with games, period.

And no, I don't think I will. Setting boundaries for conversation is impotant, but shutting down discussion is neither necessary nor desirable.

And you can use Webster's or Oxford all you want, but in the context of a story there can be but one villain, one primary antagonist against whom the hero struggles, one Big Bad Guy. Bowser is that; Goombas are not.

Okay. I can't be bothered anymore. This is annoying me. Villains is also a word. There can be multiple villains. YOU don't decide how a word is used. There can be multiple villains in a single story/game/film/whatever. But if you want to continue to argue against opinions it's up to you. Yes. This whole thing is opinion because you can't determine who IS more iconic at all.

You think Bowser is the most iconic.

I think Goomba's are just as, if not more iconic.

I think Darth Vader is more iconic than both. Probably combined.

Have fun now arguing about pointless things! I'm done :D

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Okay. I can't be bothered anymore. This is annoying me. Villains is also a word. There can be multiple villains. YOU don't decide how a word is used. There can be multiple villains in a single story/game/film/whatever. But if you want to continue to argue against opinions it's up to you. Yes. This whole thing is opinion because you can't determine who IS more iconic at all.

You think Bowser is the most iconic.

I think Goomba's are just as, if not more iconic.

I think Darth Vader is more iconic than both. Probably combined.

Have fun now arguing about pointless things! I'm done :D

Here's the best part: I never claimed Bowser was most iconic, just that he was more iconic than Ganondorf and Sephiroth. You've been arguing with something I never said in the first place.

That gives us another reason to stop the pointless topic then.

Dracula from castlevania

Death Adder from Golden Axe

M Bison

And Mr X from Kung Fu :P