By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Headset For Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

Of course it would be best to have both.  But when strained with the circumstance of only have alloted time to include 1 and having a game is already suited towards only one you can't really have both. (1)

Let me ask it this way.  If local multiplayer was the biger draw, why would almost ALL Wii FPS's have an online component but not a local componenet?(2)  Do you think they all just assumed it be the bigger draw of the 2 features?

Consider the pros and cons:

With online you get much higher player counts and there 's always players to play against.  With local splitscreen, you are limited to 4 players max (many games allow only 2), you need many controllers, you have to schedule time to play and you reduce system performance.  Online has become more appealing as broadband accessibility has increased and free time for aging gamers has reduced. 

1. Did you miss the several times where I stated if tech reasons keep it out of this version yet again, I'll accept it?

2. Wii FPS have also not broken the 2 million mark. Furthermore, only CoD and Red Steel have broken the 1 million mark. One has local only, and two of the the others have online only (with limited local multiplayer). All this proves is that FPS on the Wii have yet to break through.

I really don't like that "we chose to make this as proof alone the games sell". It should be "X game sold well and Y didn't, so we chose to make a game like X". The former has been the mindset of most developers, and that's been a huge reasons just costs have gone up, not sales.

Part in bold IS the reason, so why are you refusing to accept it. You say you will, yet you are still arguing against it. I've mentioned that was the reason since the beginning. *Cough* TROLL! *Cough.* This argument, could have stopped PAGES ago, but you've insisted to keep it going.  

Currently enjoying: Monster Hunter Tri.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

Of course it would be best to have both.  But when strained with the circumstance of only have alloted time to include 1 and having a game is already suited towards only one you can't really have both. (1)

Let me ask it this way.  If local multiplayer was the biger draw, why would almost ALL Wii FPS's have an online component but not a local componenet?(2)  Do you think they all just assumed it be the bigger draw of the 2 features?

With online you get much higher player counts and there 's always players to play against.  With local splitscreen, you are limited to 4 players max (many games allow only 2), you need many controllers, you have to schedule time to play and you reduce system performance.  Online has become more appealing as broadband accessibility has increased and free time for aging gamers has reduced. 

1. Did you miss the several times where I stated if tech reasons keep it out of this version yet again, I'll accept it?

2. Wii FPS have also not broken the 2 million mark. Furthermore, only CoD and Red Steel have broken the 1 million mark. One has local only, and two of the the others have online only (with limited local multiplayer). All this proves is that FPS on the Wii have yet to break through.

I really don't like that "we chose to make this as proof alone the games sell". It should be "X game sold well and Y didn't, so we chose to make a game like X". The former has been the mindset of most developers, and that's been a huge reasons just costs have gone up, not sales.

Wait a minute.  You told me not to use sales and trends to verify my claims and then you go and use sales and trends. (1)

Furrher more, I already told you to look at FPS's as a whole.  The whole genre has moved toward online multiplayer given it offers a far more dynamic expereince with more players and play anytime capabilties.(2)  The Wii is no different in that regard.(2)  You are not going to sell a FPS on the grounds of local multiplayer better than you will on the grounds of online multiplayer. (4)

1. You didn't read my post.

"Plus looking at the sales and trends, the bestselling FPS/TPS (Gears is so much like an FPS in most cases), the bestsellers have split screen as well. So to assume that oline is a bigger point is still assuming correlation=causation."

That doesn't mean "don't use those". That just means "they are not proof alone". But you brought up something even less. You brought up games made as proof Wii gamers prefered this, which doesn't even take into account why they sell. So I brought up the sales as a counterpoint.

2. Please don't use some marketing department line. I want something like "we actually talked to customers and they said online multiplayer was preferable to local", not "this potentically can offer more, regardless of whether the customers have told us they want that more".

3. That just means that the potential is there, not the customer preference.

4. That is not proof. You can't just use potential as proof that is what the customers want. You have to verify that is what they want. The problem I have with your "proof" is that it's the same crap that made the industry run to HD. "It offers more detail, therefore that proves it will sell more than less detail". It's also been the justification for denying games for the Wii. "It can't do this superficial thing we want in our game, therefore the customers don't want it".

Prove that the customers WANT this thing, not that it CAN do this thing. Even if it's just in relation to the Wii.

And that isn't just for me. If you just assume customers want the potential, but don't actually ask them if they want the potential over something else, then you are wasting the game and wasting money on an assumption.

I admit this is just me, but I don't want to play with total strangers. I want to play with my family and my friends. Online cannot do that, so to even think it's inherently better is wrong. What's pissing me off is insisting you know my, and many others', tastes because of what a product can do, not whether we want what the product can do.

Online plus split screen is of course best, as it serves both customers, but to neglect one on the grounds of some notion of potential being an automatic selling point, is just ridiculous.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Wow. You guys can prove to him the world is round but he would still contest it.

@crazybone

you just summed up his motivations for his argument. He doesnt prefer the current trends. Oh well. Dont buy the game.

Over a million people will buy BOwii (online component). I dont think Goldeneye will sell close to a million (split screen multiplayer online component). And Conduit 2? Give me a break.

Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

Part in bold IS the reason, so why are you refusing to accept it. You say you will, yet you are still arguing against it. I've mentioned that was the reason since the beginning. *Cough* TROLL! *Cough.* This argument, could have stopped PAGES ago, but you've insisted to keep it going.  

No, you aren't paying attention to the context of my comments. I'm going off of viper's claim that online is a better sales point on the Wii than local multiplayer, NOT whether this game should have that anymore. There is a difference.

And your "stop living in the past" comment from before showed why you don't get this. Just like Zero Punctuation believes that 2D Mario is somehow obselete, you believe that local multiplayer in FPS is somehow obselete (even if you didn't use those words).

I will throw this down. I will bet a week's ban that Goldeneye will outsell this game, and that local multiplayer, in addition to online, will be the reason.

"Wow. You guys can prove to him the world is round but he would still contest it."

You can't even give me the dignity of addressing my points. I'm asking for proof that I'm wrong, proof that Wii customers want this feature over the other, but they haven't given any. Even ONE statistical survey of FPS playing Wii owners would be proof one way or the other. And that isn't an unreasonable thing, as it talks to customers, not just assuming their tastes without asking.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I will take that bet.

Dont really see how you can prove this " local multiplayer, in addition to online, will be the reason."

Around the Network
uno said:

I will take that bet.

Dont really see how you can prove this " local multiplayer, in addition to online, will be the reason."

Ask the customers. That wouldn't just prove if the bet is won, but also prove invaluable over what actually sells, at least in terms of Wii FPS.

I mean, did anyone at Activision of Treyarch ask CoD Wii buyers if they wanted local multiplayer in the next game? If they did, and the customers said no, I would withdraw the bet, and everything I've written so far.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

No, you aren't paying attention to the context of my comments. I'm going off of viper's claim that online is a better sales point on the Wii than local multiplayer, NOT whether this game should have that anymore. There is a difference.

And your "stop living in the past" comment from before showed why you don't get this. Just like Zero Punctuation believes that 2D Mario is somehow obselete, you believe that local multiplayer in FPS is somehow obselete (even if you didn't use those words).

I will throw this down. I will bet a week's ban that Goldeneye will outsell this game, and that local multiplayer, in addition to online, will be the reason.

We accept the "you think an entirely new 3rd party game published by the same publisher that is clearly going on a nostalgic factor and  having the original developers of the original game speaking crap about it and the game is hardly getting any press or hype from that SAME publisher that only supports 8 players online against a game that is identical to it's HD cousins having the same multiplayer modes, voice chat, patching support, DLC support,and friend code-less online/voice chatting challenge." All of which the game you think will outsell it WON'T have. Still think splitscreen will sell Goldeneye more copies? We accept the ban challenge.

whoa, this thread just got WAY more interesting... what a bet.

btw Crazybone 126, i thought of another question for you(sorry, but im really curious about this game now). do you know if the single and multiplayer will have vehicles in the wii version?

Crazybone126 said:

We accept the fact you think an entirely new 3rd party game published by the same publisher that is clearly going on a nostalgic factor and  having the original developers of the original game speaking crap about it and the game is hardly getting any press or hype from that SAME publisher that only supports 8 players online against a game that is identical to it's HD cousins having the same multiplayer modes, voice chat, patching support, DLC support,and friend code-less online/voice chatting. All of which the game you think will outsell it WON'T have. Still think splitscreen will sell Goldeneye more copies? We accept the ban challenge.

Goldeneye has notstalgia factor, while the CoD games have a track record. Those may or may not cancel each other out. My claim is that split screen (in addition to online) will be the deciding factor over online alone.

As for all the features, I contend that those are bells and whistles, which I contend that just the vocal minority likes, not mainstream gamers.

EDIT: And still, will the 360 and PS3 versions of Black Ops have split screen? I've asked several times before, and no answer. I still say having split screen even for those would be best in addition to online, but it woudl answer a lot of my issues in this thread (save for the assumption Wii FPS owners like online over playing with their friends in one room).

TX109 said:

whoa, this thread just got WAY more interesting... what a bet.

btw Crazybone 126, i thought of another question for you(sorry, but im really curious about this game now). do you know if the single and multiplayer will have vehicles in the wii version?

It's not really known what kind of vehicles Treyarch have been referring to. They said they would do vehicles in a way you've never seen before, but there still isn't really concrete footage of vehicles. We've seen the helicopter in campaign, of course, that will be in the Wii version, and we've seen the chopper gunner in the online, that will also be there. Both of which are two vehicles we have seen before, so what exactly are Treyarch referring to? No one knows but them at the moment. Maybe they were referring to the RC-XD car. Doubt that, though. I can't really answer your question at the moment. I will try my best to find out the answer, though.