By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPGFan: Top 20 RPGs of the Last Decade

I get the feeling there is a major preference for JRPGs among these guys. The list ignores a lot of great WRPGs such as Deus Ex, Neverwinter Nights (1 & 2), The Witcher, Oblivion, Morrowind and Mass Effect 2. I'm not sure how they can put Fallout 3 on the list the completely leave out the elder scrolls games.

Around the Network
Fab_GS said:
Galaki said:
Fab_GS said:

#18- Ever 17: Out of Infinity (PC)

What's this? Never heard of it.

From the site:-

"Ever17: Out of Infinity is a visual novel in KID's acclaimed Infinity series, and the only installment ever released in English by the short-lived publisher Hirameki. However, if there ever was an Infinity game to bring over in English, this was certainly it. Visual novels live and die by their storylines, and Ever17 has one of the most emotionally charged, intense, deep, and compelling storylines ever seen in a video game. The story's real beauty is that it offers a great balance of intense drama with quieter personal moments, fleshed-out characters, and complex themes about humanity without ever being obtuse, overwrought, or overworked. It appeals to every emotion of the human experience in a genuine and unforced way. After one playthrough, players will be hooked and keep playing it again and again until they unravel every last layer of plot and see every single good and bad ending. Words simply cannot describe how engaging the storyline is without revealing massive spoilers.

What's more, the superb cast of immersive characters is the heart and soul of the story. They develop in a believable fashion, and players will form emotional bonds with at least one, if not all, of them. Tsugumi Komachi is perhaps the best tragic heroine ever encountered in a video game. Her full story will move even the most hardened tough guy to tears. We have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating that players who thought Albedo in the Xenosaga series was an incredible character and a fascinating case study need to play Ever17 and meet Tsugumi.

Add to all this some gorgeous art direction and Takeshi Abo's poignant soundtrack, and it is clear that Ever17: Out of Infinity remains the pinnacle of visual novels."

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Top_20_RPGs_of_the_Last_Decade/20-18.html

Since when is Visual novel == RPG??

No Lost Odyssey? This list is bollocks (according to my tastes).

Scoobes said:

I get the feeling there is a major preference for JRPGs among these guys. The list ignores a lot of great WRPGs such as Deus Ex, Neverwinter Nights (1 & 2), The Witcher, Oblivion, Morrowind and Mass Effect 2. I'm not sure how they can put Fallout 3 on the list the completely leave out the elder scrolls games.

ME2 came out in 2010

List is to end of 2009

And Oblivion is lacking, the rest can be excused

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Scoobes said:

ME2 came out in 2010

List is to end of 2009

And Oblivion is lacking, the rest can be excused

... I would put Deus Ex to the top of the list. Greatest game ever created :D

Around the Network

Tales Of Symphonia should have been on this list. That's all I'm gonna say....

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

A very bad list.

Grandiaa..

Take my love, take my land..

"Better than FPSes loaded with grunting half-troll American stereotypes and gameplay so dull that Ben Stein looks like Carrot Top in comparison.

It's fun to be stereotypical isn't it?"

Lol yeah it is, screw FPSes.

Wiintendo said:

^My favorite RPG game perhaps ever.^

Final Fantasy X is among the worst games I've ever played.  It and Metal Gear Solid 2 ruined the PlayStation 2 for me.

FFX and MGS2 were the top two games of PS2.

My condolences to you

eDIT: no gTA:SA is better than ffx or mgs2....they are the 2nd and 3rd best games on PS2 though

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey