By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Sandbagging the Wii

From a business standpoint 'just making more' isn't exactly a good idea. If they spend the time and money to increase production to meed current demand, then what happens when demand tapers off and levels out? They're left with all these production facilities collecting dust. Sometime next year demand will go down and the 1.8 million Wiis they're making each month will be plenty to not only meet demand, but keep some extra on hand for things like major game launches.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Around the Network

I thought the whole issue with the 360 was traced to putting too much or badly formulated heat transfer paste that went between two circuit boards or something?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Gamerace said:
darklich13 said:
Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system. The motherboard get super hot and warps. Causing the chips to "pop out". The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

Your irrittablity is understandable, why you insist Nintendo could magically 'meet supply' is not. You've been given multiple reasons why it hasn't by multiple people. Doesn't seem to register though. Fact is it's being produced at a very fast rate for a console, especially this early in the game. Fact is it has sold out throught the entire year, which is unheard of, dispite producing what would normally be more than adequate amounts. Meaning no in store or in warehouse stock to draw from (except maybe some for December, we'll see). Fact is the instant a store gets 5-50 Wii's they sell out within hours if not minutes.

My son works in an electronics store. They sell 7 PS3's a month. They sell 70 Wii's within 2 hours of opening. Nintendo simply cannot meet demand. Accept it or don't but stop whining already. Pretty much everyone here who owns one had to line-up early or continually hunt to get one. It's not Russia, it's capitalism, enjoy.

It just seems weird that Nintendo sold twice as many DS this week compared to the Wii worldwide.  Probably the DS is easier to produce but I don't think is that much easier.  All I'm saying is that I think Nintendo could meet demand. It is not impossible.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Grey Acumen said:
I thought the whole issue with the 360 was traced to putting too much or badly formulated heat transfer paste that went between two circuit boards or something?

That was one rumor. The other was that the PCB/heatsink mount physically warped from the heat causing the chip and heatsink to pull away from the board.

Whichever was the real cause, the new heatsink and conductive pipe that appeared over the summer has allegedly solved many of the problems.

Hmm ... ATi's Xenos vs ATi's Hollywood vs nVidia's RSX. Two of them are reported to fail, one of them does not.  Nah ... I won't open that can of worms.

Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony. That's a fact that many people miss.

Tsk tsk. Let's have a reality check!

Sony's worth: 12,470,860,000,000 Yen

Nintendo's worth: 1,659,239,000,000 Yen

Sony's worth is about 7.5 (7.516...) times that of Nintendo.

Hmm just check that link :

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT16554720070620?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1

on the 20th June 2007,

Nintendo was at 6.30 trillion yen ($51 billion)

Sony was at 6.64 trillion yen

So much for your reality check, Sony is barely before Nintendo...

Bye. 

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
Around the Network
Dryden said:
Grey Acumen said:

That was one rumor. The other was that the PCB/heatsink mount physically warped from the heat causing the chip and heatsink to pull away from the board.

Whichever was the real cause, the new heatsink and conductive pipe that appeared over the summer has allegedly solved many of the problems.

Hmm ... ATi's Xenos vs ATi's Hollywood vs nVidia's RSX. Two of them are reported to fail, one of them does not. Nah ... I won't open that can of worms.

I took apart my 360 (void the warrenty ) and put some artic silver between the HS and processors.  Haven't had a problem.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony. That's a fact that many people miss.

Word of wisdom,

I have the following market cap for Nintendo, MS and Sony ( at around end of October ) :

Microsoft - $346,713

Nintendo - $84,072 (¥9,633,492)

Sony - $49,761 (¥5,702,093)

Also Nintendo has no debt ( while Sony do ) and has more cash than Sony. If I'm wrong Fishy Joe can correct me

EDIT : Do you mean assets ? 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT16554720070620?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1

on the 20th June 2007,

Bye.

You do not understand the difference between stock value and worth (assets) I see.

Net Worth:

Sony:  3,508,858,000,000 yen
Nintendo:  1,152,251,000,000 yen

Grey Acumen said:

No.

There are a pile of theories about the currently ongoing 360 reliability issues (brand new bundles still get the RROD at unreasonably high percentages). Microsoft hasn't fixed anything yet. They've added extra GPU cooling, but that doesn't seem to effect the problem at all.

The most plausable theory right now is that the 360's 'X' clamps cause an uneven distribution of pressure on the motherboard. Solder points on the motherboard eventually crack or fail due to this, which causes the RROD failure. The towel trick seems to lend some crecidence to this and I know quite a few people who have temporarily fixed the RROD issue with the X-clamp mod.

At any rate, 2 years into production Microsoft still hasn't managed to make the Xbox 360 remotely reliable.

Also Nintendo has no debt ( while Sony do ) and has more cash than Sony. If I'm wrong Fishy Joe can correct me

Sony has been selling businesses/assets to increase their cash store.  For example, they recently sold some sort of insurance division and also they sold their Cell fabrication facility to one of their biggest rivals, Toshiba.  

Words Of Wisdom said:
mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

on the 20th June 2007,

Bye.

You do not understand the difference between stock value and worth I see.

Hmm probably not, its a link about market value but at least i give sources...

Bye. 

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?