By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Sandbagging the Wii

IF you want a Wii so much, just go go wait on line at your toys R us every sunday morning and I'm sure if you try hard enough you'll be able to get one.

Stop this nonsense about nintendo not supplying enough, they have managed to increase alot of production within a year time period. like many had stated increase production is not as easy as you think just ductape two GC together. If a plant is at its maximinum capacity, they'll have to buy new plants or negotiate contracts with new builders. This process will take time and careful planing because its an double edge sword that can go both ways, lets say nintendo have a contract with a new plant that produce 4 million a month for a year or two. Its nice if demands can comsume 4 millions for the first month but what happen if demand suddenly droped half and nintendo will be stuck with the contracts with excessive amount of units that they cant sell. not only they have to pay for these newly produce units but also pay warehouse space to store them. there are more complicated decisions involved like short term and long term goals and etc.

Final word its not as easy as you think to increase production level. nintendo had did a tremendous job of increasing it to 1.8millions a month.

Around the Network
Thrillhouse said:
Sunday morning
1) Go to Toys r Us an hour before they open
2) Stand in Line (Your job will forgive you)
OR get a friend who will stand in line for you ... buy them a pizza & beer)
3) Buy a Wii when the doors open
4) ???
5) profit

thrillhouse from asura server?

Here's a pretty good article from the WSJ about this subject:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119697501146616201.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Why the Wii
Is Still Hot Item
In Short Supply

By YUKARI IWATANI KANE in Tokyo and NICK WINGFIELD in Seattle
December 6, 2007 5:04 p.m.

Even a year after making its holiday season debut, Ian Arcuri is discovering that buying Nintendo Co.'s Wii isn't as easy as playing the popular videogame console.

"I still don't understand how something out that long, which should have a supply chain so mature, could be so hard to find," says Mr. Arcuri, a program manager at a technology company in Cary, North Carolina, who has been unable to find a Wii for his two children. He has been searching for more than a month.

For many U.S. consumers, it was understandable last season when the Wii was tough to find in stores: the game console had just hit the market. But it is perplexing why, a whole year later, the Wii is again nearly impossible to find on store shelves.

Nintendo's problem illustrates how tough it is for companies to try to predict demand for a product, even in the second year. But it also may reveal a cautious approach by the Japanese company, given its super-conservative stance in general. In the past two years, Nintendo has set earnings forecasts so conservative that it achieved them in just nine months.

Nintendo started out as a small family business more than a century ago making traditional Japanese playing cards, and has undergone difficult transitions in its business to survive. Since it started making videogame consoles, the company has seen its fortunes rise with its Nintendo Entertainment System in the 1980s, and then fall in the 1990s as it lost share to rivals Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

Since Nintendo puts a great deal of focus on cash flow, it tries to keep its inventory as low as possible. Such a strategy is rare among Japanese companies, which have tended to focus on revenue growth and market share.

Nintendo said earlier this year that it is making its best efforts to ramp up manufacturing. Still, this holiday season is seeing a repeat of last year's Wii frenzy, including lines of shoppers forming outside stores and bidding battles for the consoles on eBay.

The frustration of U.S. shoppers could become a problem for Nintendo as it seeks to keep up the momentum of a business that so far has surpassed expectations. Nintendo has twice revised its forecast for the number of Wii consoles it expects to sell in its fiscal year that ends in March, now predicting sales of 17.5 million units, compared with a forecast of 14 million at the beginning of the year. On a global basis, the Wii, which lets users play games such as tennis and bowling intuitively by swinging a controller, has outsold its two direct rivals, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

The persistent shortages have led to speculation by angry consumers that Nintendo is deliberately keeping supplies short to create more hype for the product. Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo's U.S. division, denies this, saying Nintendo simply didn't anticipate this level of demand for the Wii this holiday season.

"It really is a missed opportunity if we're not able to satisfy that demand, which is why we're working so hard with retailers," he says.

Supply-chain management experts say, however, that missed opportunity may still be better than being stuck with excessive supply because it creates a negative impression that consumers don't want the product, and the consequences are so painful that many companies end up erring on the side of a shortage.

Excess supply also angers retailers, which must work harder and offer discounts to get rid of the product. The manufacturer's financial results also suffer because they are forced to lower prices or take back the products retailers can't sell.

In the late 1990s, Japanese toy maker Bandai Co. had a huge success with its Tamagotchi virtual pets, but unanticipated demand led to shortages in stores world-wide. Then, when the company focused too much on meeting demand in Japan, consumers overseas were frustrated. By the time Bandai was able to step up production and make more Tamagotchis available overseas, knock-offs flooded the markets and few people wanted the real thing. Bandai ended up cutting its pretax-profit forecast by 95% in 1998.

"If you flood the market, it will come back to haunt you," says Christopher Tang, a professor of supply-chain management at the University of California at Los Angeles Anderson School of Management. Nintendo may be missing opportunities by allowing other people to profit from the shortage by charging premiums, but Mr. Tang says that isn't entirely a bad thing because it creates hype. "Psychologically, it's better if the customer is begging for the product," he says.

But even when it plans to step up capacity, Nintendo's job is all the more difficult because it outsources all production, compared with other companies, which make their own products. The Wii contains dozens of parts, which means "one manufacturer can hold the whole darn thing up," says David Cole, an analyst with industry-research firm DFC Intelligence, based in San Diego.

Nintendo also must balance demand in the U.S. with other markets. The Wii craze has calmed down somewhat in Japan, for example, but Nintendo still needs to make enough consoles available to support the debut earlier this month of its highly anticipated videogame Wii Fit, which lets users play exercise games by standing on a board that can sense shifts in weight.

But analysts believe it will get easier for consumers to find a Wii next year as Nintendo increases production. This holiday season, though, people who want to get a Wii likely will have to shell out a premium.

darklich13 said:
I don't understand why there are still shortages for the Wii after 1 year. Sure its christmas and all but I should be able to go to a store and buy one without trouble. Last weekend I went to 3 different gaming stores and also Circut City, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart. They all told me the same thing. The Wii's dont come on the regular shipping truck, they come through UPS and they come in on random days. Now I know that Wii's are selling really good but Nintendo's other system, the DS, is selling even better. But, there are no DS shortages. In fact every store I went to had plenty to choose from. (I bought 2 of them) I don't understand why Nintendo won't meet the demand for the Wii. Its not like the Wii has advanced hardware that is hard to produce. In fact the DS is probably more advanced just because if its size. My only guess is that they are trying to keep the interest for the Wii high by making it unavailable.

I haven't read any replies, however.

Wii is the fastest selling console, and the highest in demand of any console in history, during teh first year of being on the market.

You tell me.  Is this a bad thing?  Sure, it is, when people don't have a console they want.  But, the sales are through the ceiling, and beyond.  Check out the graphs on this site, it annihilates the PS2 rates by a mile. 

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Nice article FishyJoe.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
Gamerace said:
darklich13 said:
Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system. The motherboard get super hot and warps. Causing the chips to "pop out". The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

Your irrittablity is understandable, why you insist Nintendo could magically 'meet supply' is not. You've been given multiple reasons why it hasn't by multiple people. Doesn't seem to register though. Fact is it's being produced at a very fast rate for a console, especially this early in the game. Fact is it has sold out throught the entire year, which is unheard of, dispite producing what would normally be more than adequate amounts. Meaning no in store or in warehouse stock to draw from (except maybe some for December, we'll see). Fact is the instant a store gets 5-50 Wii's they sell out within hours if not minutes.

My son works in an electronics store. They sell 7 PS3's a month. They sell 70 Wii's within 2 hours of opening. Nintendo simply cannot meet demand. Accept it or don't but stop whining already. Pretty much everyone here who owns one had to line-up early or continually hunt to get one. It's not Russia, it's capitalism, enjoy.

It just seems weird that Nintendo sold twice as many DS this week compared to the Wii worldwide. Probably the DS is easier to produce but I don't think is that much easier. All I'm saying is that I think Nintendo could meet demand. It is not impossible.

DS has been out for years.  Wii has been out for ONE.

Wii destroyed DS's first year.    DS destroyed PS2's first year.  It's simple math that you seem to be missing.

If Nintendo invests money in to production facilities they might not actually use, it's bad investing....  this is something Microsoft and Sony aren't used to doing - making money.

Come on.  If YOU could produce Wii's so easily, wouldn't you just buy a production facility, or buid one out of the blue?  I'm sure you would...... since you're so enlightened.

Doubling production after a year isn't bad..... it's just demand is unpredictable.

This may be retreading ground earlier posts have covered, but I think I have some original commentary here too, so:

mrstickball said:
The Playstation 2, in a 3 month period, October 2001-December 2001 (it's first full Christmas worldwide, having launched in Feb/Mar 2000 in Japan alone), shipped 8.07 million hardware units, according to VGC.

The Wii, for comparison has sold/shipped 3.2m units in the same period.

The Wii is nowhere near the PS2's first full Christmas....By a long shot. It has another month, but there's no way it'll sell 5m units in December alone. Most likely, it'll sell *around* 3m to 4m units, max, for a grand total of 6.2-7.2m units. Well under PS2's 01 Christmas of 8.07m units.

The issue is that the Playstation 2 knew that sales would be incredible, and had the manufacturing in place for huge prodiction of the system. The Wii doesn't have that ability.

This PS2 comparison is somewhat bogus due to the fact that the PS2 had much more time to ramp up production before its second Christmas.

"complicated hardware" is absolutely, positively no excuse. The Xbox 360, for all it's "new technology" and hundreds of component makers was churning out 30,000 Xbox 360's within 2 months of sale, per day, and MS could of done whatever they needed to get a few more factories online (however, sales started to drop slowly, so MS never needed it).

30,000 units per day in a 31-day month is 930,000 units. Wasn't the Wii producing 1 million per month at that point in its own lifetime? Or was it 1.2 million? Saying MS "could have" forced a large increase in production is just another way of saying that MS doesn't mind throwing huge piles of money at a problem. We know that, and we know Nintendo doesn't like to do that.

It entirely comes down to the fact that to broker the deals, Nintendo would have to actually........Invest money. Something they don't like to do (the Wii was one of their lowest budget R&D'ed systems thus far). Parting with alot of cash isn't Nintendo's game. They only have so much of it, and unlike MS/Sony, they don't have 10 other ventures of which to draw funds from if need be.

So Nintendo would rather let supply suffer than go through the hoops of opening up a few new factories. Trust me, there are probably dozens of plants that would LOVE to retool for Nintendo. But it takes alot of cash to procure new plants, new chip makers, and increase industrial capacity. And Nintendo doesn't want to do that. They aren't in a position to where they believe that sales will decrease, and the need of sales aren't ultra-critical right now, in their minds.

IMO, it's stupid of Nintendo to only increase production by *around* 50% in 1 year, when each system sells at a profit, and you can't produce enough of them. They do the same stupid thing with their DS carts. But hey, Nintendo can do whatever they want. I don't buy their products, so it's not my right to complain.

Isn't Nintendo producing 1.8 million units now? So it was 1.2 million after all. Why is production pathetic again? Oh right, because it didn't sink enough billions of dollars into massive hardware contracts while everyone was screaming "Wii is a fad" at the top of their Internet lungs. Nintendo's lack of foresight is truly appalling.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Hey all, "SEGA Dream Cast" just made more. ATARI just made more than needed.

And thus, the old saying goes:

You BURY the consoles you can't sell.

Since moving software is in their best interest for gaining third party support, I would think moving hardware would be their top priority.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Since moving software is in their best interest for gaining third party support, I would think moving hardware would be their top priority.

Unless Nintendo can come even close to selling a 1:1 ratio of software to hardware, there really is NOT any reason to have hardware first.

The demographics are insane to analize.   But the point is, why produce 15 million copies of Mario Galaxy opening day when anyone with common sense would suggest even ONE million is a great sales point to begin with?  Why produce 15 million copies of Mario Galaxy when it may only sell 10 million?  You just WASTED 5 million copies.