By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Sandbagging the Wii

mrpapaye said:

Hmm just check that link :

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT16554720070620?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1

Just check that link for today:

Nintendo Co Ltd

Market Cap. (Mil) ¥8,569,018.00

Sony Corp

Market Cap. (Mil) ¥5,895,668.00

Around the Network
mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony. That's a fact that many people miss.

Tsk tsk. Let's have a reality check!

Sony's worth: 12,470,860,000,000 Yen

Nintendo's worth: 1,659,239,000,000 Yen

Sony's worth is about 7.5 (7.516...) times that of Nintendo.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT16554720070620?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1

on the 20th June 2007,

Nintendo was at 6.30 trillion yen ($51 billion)

Sony was at 6.64 trillion yen

So much for your reality check, Sony is barely before Nintendo...

Bye.

You do not understand the difference between stock value and worth I see.

Hmm probably not, its a link about market value but at least i give sources...

Bye.

Sony source: 2007 Quarter 2 Financial Documents

Nintendo source: 2Q FY 2008 (April 2007 - September 2007)

My sources > Your sources.

Edit:  Fixed the name for Nintendo's documents.

Words Of Wisdom said:
mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
mrpapaye said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony. That's a fact that many people miss.

Tsk tsk. Let's have a reality check!

Sony's worth: 12,470,860,000,000 Yen

Nintendo's worth: 1,659,239,000,000 Yen

Sony's worth is about 7.5 (7.516...) times that of Nintendo.

on the 20th June 2007,

Nintendo was at 6.30 trillion yen ($51 billion)

Sony was at 6.64 trillion yen

So much for your reality check, Sony is barely before Nintendo...

Bye.

You do not understand the difference between stock value and worth I see.

Hmm probably not, its a link about market value but at least i give sources...

Bye.

Sony source: 2007 Quarter 2 Financial Documents

Nintendo source: 2Q FY 2008 (April 2007 - September 2007)

My sources > Your sources.

Edit: Fixed the name for Nintendo's documents.

Well it seems your numbers are good, Sony's Assets is 7.5 Nintendo's Assets and i suppose its the closest thing that you can call their real worth so you were right about it. :)

Thanks for the documents.

Bye. 

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
TheBigFatJ said:
Grey Acumen said:
I thought the whole issue with the 360 was traced to putting too much or badly formulated heat transfer paste that went between two circuit boards or something?

Also Nintendo has no debt ( while Sony do ) and has more cash than Sony. If I'm wrong Fishy Joe can correct me

Sony has been selling businesses/assets to increase their cash store. For example, they recently sold some sort of insurance division and also they sold their Cell fabrication facility to one of their biggest rivals, Toshiba.

You are right TheBigFatJ, my consideration in that sentence was based on last financial report released by Sony and Nintendo ( so until 30 September 2007 ) 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Dryden said:
darklich13 said:
Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system. The motherboard get super hot and warps. Causing the chips to "pop out". The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

Not true. The Wii currently does have reliability issues, caused either by faulty firmware which doesn't power the cooling fan while the WiFi card runs at night, a bad graphics processors, bad graphic memory, other inadequate cooling or maybe even something else. Nobody but Nintendo knows what the real deal is and exactly why Wii are failing in under a year of ownership, regardless of hours put on the machine -- but people have had their Wii's fail with slowly degrading video quality.

My Wii is at Nintendo right now getting fixed for this very issue. Video artifacts and colored dots all over the screen similar to dead pixels on an LCD screen.

All electronics have a failure rate.  The Wiis failure rate is extremely low.  Something around 3% I believe.  Nowhere close to having 'reliability issues'.  Compare that to the estimated 33% failure rate of the Xbox 360.  I don't know what the PS3 failure rate is, but it appears to be much more reliable than the PS2.  The PS2 was extremely prone to failure for a long time.  Nintendo has always made quality products that last a long time.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Around the Network
mrpapaye said:

Well it seems your numbers are good, Sony's Assets is 7.5 Nintendo's Assets and i suppose its the closest thing that you can call their real worth so you were right about it. :)

Thanks for the documents.

Bye.

Despite everything I said to you and the fact that we were having an argument on the internet, your ending of the argument was polite, included a thank you, and had a happy smiley.

Respect +10.

Nighteyes_1981 said:

All electronics have a failure rate. The Wiis failure rate is extremely low. Something around 3% I believe. Nowhere close to having 'reliability issues'. Compare that to the estimated 33% failure rate of the Xbox 360. I don't know what the PS3 failure rate is, but it appears to be much more reliable than the PS2. The PS2 was extremely prone to failure for a long time. Nintendo has always made quality products that last a long time.

According to whom? Where did you get these numbers for failure rates?

Even if the Wii's failure rate is only 3%, I would find that disconcerting considering the most widely reported issue is the GPU failure, and not something with a moving part (I could completely understand optical drive failures after hundreds of hours of use).

Dryden said:
Nighteyes_1981 said:

All electronics have a failure rate. The Wiis failure rate is extremely low. Something around 3% I believe. Nowhere close to having 'reliability issues'. Compare that to the estimated 33% failure rate of the Xbox 360. I don't know what the PS3 failure rate is, but it appears to be much more reliable than the PS2. The PS2 was extremely prone to failure for a long time. Nintendo has always made quality products that last a long time.

According to whom? Where did you get these numbers for failure rates?

Even if the Wii's failure rate is only 3%, I would find that disconcerting considering the most widely reported issue is the GPU failure, and not something with a moving part (I could completely understand optical drive failures after hundreds of hours of use).

Actually, from what we can tell, it was apparently a batch of faulty graphic cards that were shipped to them (Nintendo). Those degrades after prolonged use, or something like that.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Failure rate sources.

http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failure-rate-xbox-360-high-as-33-sony-ps3-less-than-1/

I'm sorry yours is broken Dryden, but you're just in that less than 1% category. Maybe you should go play the lotery.

Sunday morning
1) Go to Toys r Us an hour before they open
2) Stand in Line (Your job will forgive you)
OR get a friend who will stand in line for you ... buy them a pizza & beer)
3) Buy a Wii when the doors open
4) ???
5) profit

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!