By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Sandbagging the Wii

That's cause the demand for Wii, mainly in Europe/Other and America is astronomically high. Meaning Wii is shipping about 18 million this year rounding up, and yet demand is higher than that. If demand is higher than 18 million worldwide for a year, then there aren't too many people that have been able to meet that, as the most units shipped in one year is probably for the DS which is about 26 million.

Nintendo could have not met the demand this year. Even if they did have about the same units shipped as DS did, which is probably impossible as consoles are harder to mass produce than handhelds.

Around the Network
darklich13 said:

IMO Nintendo is making enough Wii to earn a profit that they desire. If they wanted to meet the demand they could but it would cost them money. So Nintendo wins and those consumers that are left in the cold without a Wii ( like myself ) suffer.

How do you suffer? The Wii is a luxury item. It's not a birthrite.

If you want one so bad, stand in line for one like everybody else. This isn't the first "must have gift" for a Christmas season, and it certainly won't be the last.

Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system.  The motherboard get super hot and warps.  Causing the chips to "pop out".  The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Dryden said:
darklich13 said:

IMO Nintendo is making enough Wii to earn a profit that they desire. If they wanted to meet the demand they could but it would cost them money. So Nintendo wins and those consumers that are left in the cold without a Wii ( like myself ) suffer.

How do you suffer? The Wii is a luxury item. It's not a birthrite.

If you want one so bad, stand in line for one like everybody else. This isn't the first "must have gift" for a Christmas season, and it certainly won't be the last.

I work a lot. In fact I'm working right now. I don't have time to stand in line. This isn't Russia. 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

mrstickball said:
Actually, Nintendo's shipments for the Wii aren't the fastest-shipping for a system on it's first full Christmas.

The Playstation 2, in a 3 month period, October 2001-December 2001 (it's first full Christmas worldwide, having launched in Feb/Mar 2000 in Japan alone), shipped 8.07 million hardware units, according to VGC.

The Wii, for comparison has sold/shipped 3.2m units in the same period.

The Wii is nowhere near the PS2's first full Christmas....By a long shot. It has another month, but there's no way it'll sell 5m units in December alone. Most likely, it'll sell *around* 3m to 4m units, max, for a grand total of 6.2-7.2m units. Well under PS2's 01 Christmas of 8.07m units.

The issue is that the Playstation 2 knew that sales would be incredible, and had the manufacturing in place for huge prodiction of the system. The Wii doesn't have that ability. "complicated hardware" is absolutely, positively no excuse. The Xbox 360, for all it's "new technology" and hundreds of component makers was churning out 30,000 Xbox 360's within 2 months of sale, per day, and MS could of done whatever they needed to get a few more factories online (however, sales started to drop slowly, so MS never needed it).

It entirely comes down to the fact that to broker the deals, Nintendo would have to actually........Invest money. Something they don't like to do (the Wii was one of their lowest budget R&D'ed systems thus far). Parting with alot of cash isn't Nintendo's game. They only have so much of it, and unlike MS/Sony, they don't have 10 other ventures of which to draw funds from if need be.

So Nintendo would rather let supply suffer than go through the hoops of opening up a few new factories. Trust me, there are probably dozens of plants that would LOVE to retool for Nintendo. But it takes alot of cash to procure new plants, new chip makers, and increase industrial capacity. And Nintendo doesn't want to do that. They aren't in a position to where they believe that sales will decrease, and the need of sales aren't ultra-critical right now, in their minds.

IMO, it's stupid of Nintendo to only increase production by *around* 50% in 1 year, when each system sells at a profit, and you can't produce enough of them. They do the same stupid thing with their DS carts. But hey, Nintendo can do whatever they want. I don't buy their products, so it's not my right to complain.

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony.  That's a fact that many people miss.   Sony, in spite of winning the last two generations, hasn't made much money.  I'd say, like it or hate it as a consumer, their policies seem to be the most succesful for them of any major console producer. 

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system. The motherboard get super hot and warps. Causing the chips to "pop out". The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

Not true. The Wii currently does have reliability issues, caused either by faulty firmware which doesn't power the cooling fan while the WiFi card runs at night, a bad graphics processors, bad graphic memory, other inadequate cooling or maybe even something else. Nobody but Nintendo knows what the real deal is and exactly why Wii are failing in under a year of ownership, regardless of hours put on the machine -- but people have had their Wii's fail with slowly degrading video quality.

My Wii is at Nintendo right now getting fixed for this very issue. Video artifacts and colored dots all over the screen similar to dead pixels on an LCD screen.

I'm sorry, but Nintendo cannot just snap their fingers and crank out more. They have to place the orders for the individual component parts MONTHS in advance. They may decide tomorrow to ramp up output to 3M a month -- we wouldn't see those units until summer of next year, though. Logistically, volume shipments of Wii vs the DS aren't even comparable. A shipping container could hold 15 times as many DSes as it does Wiis.

It's a small, elegantly designed unit that Nintendo will not hand over to the lowest bidder. They have QC issues already as it is, and because Wii Sports is a pack in title in some regions and not others, and because the Wii remote strap also is subject to redesigns, every Wii is hand-packaged on the way out of the factory.

They cannot just double output again then eat billions of dollars in losses when supply is sated and their stuck warehousing millions upon millions of Wiis that are no longer wanted by the retailers and customers.

It's just not that simple.

mrstickball said:

IMO, it's stupid of Nintendo to only increase production by *around* 50% in 1 year, when each system sells at a profit, and you can't produce enough of them. They do the same stupid thing with their DS carts. But hey, Nintendo can do whatever they want.

One last thing : it's obvious that Nintendo do what it want to do because thanks to this it is the most profitable company in the entire gaming industry.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

darklich13 said:
Xbox 360 gets the ring of death because Mircrsoft was trying to cut costs of they system and included an inferior cooling system.  The motherboard get super hot and warps.  Causing the chips to "pop out".  The Wii is simply designed and would not have any problems like that if Nintendo ramped up production to meet demand.

Your irrittablity is understandable, why you insist Nintendo could magically 'meet supply' is not.  You've been given multiple reasons why it hasn't by multiple people.  Doesn't seem to register though.  Fact is it's being produced at a very fast rate for a console, especially this early in the game.  Fact is it has sold out throught the entire year, which is unheard of, dispite producing what would normally be more than adequate amounts.  Meaning no in store or in warehouse stock to draw from (except maybe some for December, we'll see). Fact is the instant a store gets 5-50 Wii's they sell out within hours if not minutes. 

My son works in an electronics store.  They sell 7 PS3's a month.  They sell 70 Wii's within 2 hours of opening.  Nintendo simply cannot meet demand.  Accept it or don't but stop whining already.  Pretty much everyone here who owns one had to line-up early or continually hunt to get one.  It's not Russia, it's capitalism, enjoy.

choirsoftheeye said:

Nintendo has more money than Sony - or, at least, the company is worth more than Sony. That's a fact that many people miss.

Tsk tsk.  Let's have a reality check!

Sony's worth:  12,470,860,000,000 Yen

Nintendo's worth:  1,659,239,000,000 Yen

Sony's worth is about 7.5 (7.516...) times that of Nintendo.

darklich13 said:

Um, lawl?

Shitty construction and QA will result in hardware failure no matter what device you're talking about. Even those little solar calculators have issues if they're built in a crappy factory.

And someone here said it best: Wiis were easier to find mid-year. Why didn't you get one then? 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks