By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Halo Reach sells like ODST did it will have a MASSIVE opening week!

So I was curious to see how many pre-orders in America Halo 3: ODST had the week before it launched and I came accross this.

Halo 3: ODST had 753,899 pre-orders in the US the week before it came out.  Then its launch week it sold 2,215,718 copies in its first week WW.

Now when you do the math on that Halo 3: ODST sold 2.94 times more then what the pre-orders in the US were before it launched.

Now imagine if the same type of increase happens for Halo Reach (which is very possible)

If Halo Reach doess 200k more pre-orders each week before it launches (which it will without a doubt) then the total US pre-orders for Halo Reach will be at 1,858,990.

If it sells about 2.9 times as much as the pre-orders for it are then it will have an opening week of  5.4 million which would make it the biggest launch EVER on a single console.

What are your thoughts?  Do you think it will sell like ODST?

Around the Network

I'm pretty hyped up on the idea of this game being record breaking. The pre-orders for Reach have for the last 3 weeks remained higher than what Modern Warefare 2 was last year. All I can say is WOW.

I honestly expect it open really, really huge.  Halo hate seems to not be as potent as it was back with Halo 3 or during ODST's release for some reason.  Maybe its because the feature set for this game is unequaled in the genre.  Maybe the bitter PS3 fanboy trolls are more content now that their console has plenty of games to play.  Maybe CoD fatigue has kicked in enough to where people are ready to return to Halo.

Regardless, the user base is MUCH larger now, the game is much more representative of a now-gen experience and the advertising campaign overall has been less . . . Dew lol.  It will open bigger than Halo 3 or ODST.  That is a given.  But how much more?  Its hard to tell, but if the current 360 sales are any indicator, it IS the hot system right now.

It would be an absolutely incredible feat if the record gets beaten in just ~10 months since MW2 dropped. REACH definitely has a chance.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I simply think ODST pre-order numbers were undertracked.

Around the Network

That being said, a first week of 4.5-5 million is definitely not out of the question.

This is kinda off topic but does anyone know how much $$$ is being spent on Halo:Reach marketing? I've been seeing ads everywhere for the past few weeks and it's making me scared.

Hell, there's even an advertisement in your sig!!!

patapon said:

This is kinda off topic but does anyone know how much $$$ is being spent on Halo:Reach marketing? I've been seeing ads everywhere for the past few weeks and it's making me scared.

Hell, there's even an advertisement in your sig!!!

I remember seeing somewhere that 6 million was gonna be spent on marketing for Halo Reach....not sure how accurate that number is (seems pretty low to me TBH)

Yeah, the launch will probably probably set the single console launch record. The console is hot right now, and this is one of the most hyped games ever.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

the beta was awesome, the preview trailer was awesome, the game will be awesome. the hype is back and its even better since halo 3, and it will be the first real halo game in nearly 3 years that everybody will buy just bcus of the huge fanbase. i wont rule out a 4 mil launch but 5 mil is definitly possible

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil