By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VANQUISH DEMO Impressions thread (Is up on XBL..will be up on PSN soon)!

VANQUISH DEMO Impressions thread (Is up on XBL..will be up on PSN soon)!

0 -- DEMO SUCKED CROCODILES ASS! 22 8.98%

1 -- Should be called Failish not Vanquish 4 1.63%

2 -- Below Average...meh 12 4.90%

3 -- Decent demo...but no... 52 21.22%

4 -- Great demo! 93 37.96%

5 -- BEST DEMO EVAR! 62 25.31%

Total:245
FlyingLotus said:
Reasonable said:

Decent demo.

Good action and I like the style and effects - but miss a jump button and am puzzled by the seemingly useless melee if it drains your power completely.

Bigger But (for me)... story and characters seem lame to me.  I hate the whole US/Russia angle.  The damn thing looks so SF anyway they should simply go the fantasy route and invent two futuristic factions instead.  Also, a cute long legged female and a scarred veteran?  I can't take that kind of cliche that well anymore.

Weapons in demo seemed a bit boring but hints in tutorial of more interesting stuff.

Conlcusion, could be good but I'm concerned that it'll be a little slight as an overall game.  Although, I tend to find DMC and titles like Bayonetta slight too, so if you like those you might want to take my view in this area as out of alignment from a personal taste perspective.

I did like the 'have a quick smoke' gimmick though, that was kind of amusingly over the top.

So, not bad  but not great for me.  Will await reviews and more detail.

Did you also look for a story in bayonetta? it's just filler. And i agree with the melee draing power competely but im guessing you'll get upgrades and such.

Nope, but by definition it was a bit more original than this setup (although I still found it a bit bland).  I mean, US vs Russia.  Enough already.  This old cliche died for me when Roger Moore was still Bond disarming nuclear bombs planted by rogue Russian Generals dressed as a clown!

I've played it a few more times and found that the less I play it like a cover shooter the better it is, so its growing on me.  But the one hit melee, at least based on the demo, isn't feeling balanced for me even after a few play throughs.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Rainbird said:

The game definitely seems to have a few things going for it, but there are some pretty big annoyances too.

Why the hell does a melee attack drain all my energy?!

The gunplay isn't all that exciting either, but it's good enough none the less.

I really dislike the health system, and how some enemies feel like they can kill you in one hit, and I have no idea if they can, or if it's just because I don't know how much health I have left.

I think it's really annoying that I can't somehow cancel AR-mode when I drop into low health. Has anyone found out if you can cancel it somehow?

I really like the speed of the game though, even if it gets a bit confusing from time to time. 

The boost is awesome. Boost-melee attacks are awesome!

When all is said and done, I think the demo is 3/5. It's not bad by any means, but not all that awesome either.

To answer your questions, when you take a massive amount of damage AR automatically kicks in as a safety mechanic when close to death.Health system is similar to modern day regenarative health giving visual cues on screen( red stuff).Smoking regens health and the bud flick causes a distraction to enemies.

The melee attacks will probably have upgrades simalar to bayonetta accessory feature.

Seems you're getting nearly killed alot that's why you can't cancel AR, btw my speed run of the demo so far is 6 minutes 4 seconds :D

Hope this changes you mind and the some others on the gameplay of the game hopefully you can get the hang of it by the time the game is out.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Reasonable said:

Nope, but by definition it was a bit more original than this setup (although I still found it a bit bland).  I mean, US vs Russia.  Enough already.  This old cliche died for me when Roger Moore was still Bond disarming nuclear bombs planted by rogue Russian Generals dressed as a clown!

I've played it a few more times and found that the less I play it like a cover shooter the better it is, so its growing on me.  But the one hit melee, at least based on the demo, isn't feeling balanced for me even after a few play throughs.

Reasonable, you are taking Vanquish much too seriously. THe whole point of its setting is that it's a parody of American action movie/action game stereotypes, meant to harken back to Contra and Gears of War in the same way that God Hand arkened back to Double Dragon and Fist of the North Star.

If you're looking for originality or storytelling integrity in a way that doesn't evolve parody and satire, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Reasonable said:

Yeah the sterotypical russian/german villian thing is played out.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Who is this Vanquish guy then, is he with the Russians or Americans or is he neutral?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:

Reasonable, you are taking Vanquish much too seriously. THe whole point of its setting is that it's a parody of American action movie/action game stereotypes, meant to harken back to Contra and Gears of War in the same way that God Hand arkened back to Double Dragon and Fist of the North Star.

If you're looking for originality or storytelling integrity in a way that doesn't evolve parody and satire, you are barking up the wrong tree.

I don't see any evidence of satire so far - just something a Japanese developer might feel is 'Western' enough to be appealing.  But this game is fairly low on my radar next  to stuff like LBP2, Last Guardian (show us more!) and the like so maybe I just need to find out a bit more about it.

BTW if the game is good I won't let that put me off, I mean the bakground just felt like window dressing from the demo, something simply to allow for the mayhem as it were.

But, for an older gamer like me this is a veryyyy old cliche, parady or not.  I'd just prefer something like the ISA/Helghast or COGS from Gears, something at least a little more than US/Russia.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

It's just a demo everybody. I personally thought the demo was nothing special. It was'nt bad,but nothing ah-inspiring. lol

Plus points:

Gameplay was smooth, fast and fun.

Boss on the demo was cool to battle.

Minus points:

Graphics are a letdown.

Voice actors are cringe worthy.

Set up and story seem typical "buff dudes saving the world and being manlier than everyone else".

FlyingLotus said:

To answer your questions, when you take a massive amount of damage AR automatically kicks in as a safety mechanic when close to death.Health system is similar to modern day regenarative health giving visual cues on screen( red stuff).

I'm aware of how it works, but it doesn't feel very good. I don't feel like I always know where I'm at healthwise.

Smoking regens health and the bud flick causes a distraction to enemies.

w00t? I haven't seen any smoking outside the cinematics.

The melee attacks will probably have upgrades simalar to bayonetta accessory feature.

I hope so, draining all the energy is really annoying!

Seems you're getting nearly killed alot that's why you can't cancel AR, btw my speed run of the demo so far is 6 minutes 4 seconds :D

I know it can be cancelled normally, I just think it's really annoying that I can't cancel it when I get close to death.

Hope this changes you mind and the some others on the gameplay of the game hopefully you can get the hang of it by the time the game is out.

That didn't really do anything for me, sorry.

I can't believe Baynoetta is only at 1.5 million.It deserves so much more. Needs to be published by EA or Activision. Actually I can believe it. It's a bit wacky for Western tastes and PS3 version was well inferior so the JPN looked the other way.