By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New CNET Prizefight 360S vs PS3 Slim (Closest in CNET Hitsory!)

themanwithnoname said:
Euphoria14 said:

I agreed with most of it, but I feel that they REAAALLLY stretched for that tie in games.

They flatout state that 360 lost it's momentum in exclusives and that the PS3 far surpasses it in exclusives, but then somehow XB1 limited compatibility and XBLA make it tie, but fail to mention that PS3 has PS1 compatibility, which alone at least equals XB1 B/C and PSN downloads as well as PS1 downloads makes it somewhat close to the XBLA offering.

I refuse to believe that the XBLA offering is equal to the massive amount of 1st party support we get for PS3 titles.

Just look at next years exclusive lineups for example.

Would however like to see a comparison with the Wii.

You refuse to believe? Why don't you play the games, or I dunno, the free trials they come out with before making such a comparison about stuff you haven't played.

Before I sold my 360 last week I have checked what was available on XBLA and to me it didn't offer what the SONY party offerings did.

If you choose to accept that or not means nothing to me.

Point is that they are comparing PS3 vs 360 and they used XB1 games to even the score while ignoring PS1 games. Go on and act like that doesn't matter, I could care less.

They flat out say "XBox 360 offers backwards compatiblity with XBOX1 titles" while forgetting to mention that PS3 has access to hundred or even thousands of PS1 titles, which IMO surpass any offering on XB1 titles considering how MS dropped XBL support for those titles. They talk as if PS3 has zero backwards compatibility.

So in their eyes for PS3 games to surpass XB360 it needs to have PS2 B/C, even though they outright admit that PS3 library surpasses XB360 library? -__-

Did you watch the video and listen to what they said?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Yawn, video put up to collect clicks, I'll exercise my right not to in this instance I think.

sergiodaly said:
thranx said:
sergiodaly said:

the games round have some thin reasons for the tie!

@thranks - Blu Ray is there... it does not matter if you want it or use it... the value is there so they must give the points for it! your personal opinion and experience is irrelevant.

Just cause its theree does not mean it has value to gamers. For people who bought it to play games all it has done is increase price, not the value. It is not irrelevant, as it could be this way for many consumers. And it is especially relevant as this whole video was based off of three people opinion, not facts or anything like that, but opinion.

well i see it the other way around... the only fact is that is there and gives the machine more value (GT5 fans will back me up on this for sure), if you like or dislike, that is opinion! and value is about real thing available to us... but lets not get into a fight about it... like you say in your first post "for me at least" you don't see the value and i get that you are free to have opinions but the only thing i was pointing out is that personal opinions and experiences aren't relevant in the matter, that,  you have one and i other...

well, now that MS and Sony are really sticking to their 10-year plan or whatever, the storage capacity advantage of blu-ray becomes even more relevant. Besides who said it doesn't have value? I've playing games on my PS3 that just wouldn't be possible or the same on 1 DVD or multiple discs. Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, the list goes on and everybody not an ignorant knows this. I will be enjoying my Gran Turismo 5 in one blu-ray thank you very much. Oh, and even "lesser" multiplat games enjoy much superior less compressed and TRULY HD CG VIDEOS on the PS3 versions. Like Dante's Inferno, Final Fantasy XIII, Darksiders, that list is quite long, and I do appreciate video quality on my 70" screen not those pixelated-compressed 360 videos yuck....I guess you can't appreciate value on a crappy screen playing crappy games, but I'm nobody to judge....

Design - I agree that 360 looks cooler, but 360 should have lots a couple more points for still having the power brick. PS3 shouldn't have lots by THAT much just for having a boring matte finish.

Features - Agreed, but they failed to mention there's a 320GB PS3 out as well as just 160GB.

Online - 360 deserves to win this category no doubt, but PS3 should have been a bit higher than a 3.3, more like a 3.7 or 3.8, all its really missing is cross game chat and a few other small things. Also I'm pretty sure you don't need a disk for netflix anymore on PS3. I would mention its free but that's more to do with the value section.

Games - I don't really get how this was a tie. 360 has some exclusives as well as slightly better versions of multiplat games (not so much anymore) but PS3 rocks them in exclusives. I would have given PS3 a 4.5 and 360 the 4 it got.

Graphics - No argument here, a slight edge to PS3 sounds about right.

Value - No argument here, but I think it should have been a bit more in PS3's favour since you get free online compared to $60 per year. By not having to pay that $60 for online you could buy an extra game each year.

Overall not too bad a comparison, but maybe a bit 360 biased (even though the PS3 won by a hair). But the truth is who gives a shit about a slight graphical edge or design or whatever. The three that really matter for gamers are games, online service and value; and games comes down to personal preference. PS3 and 360 both have great graphics,  lots of features and good enough designs so those are really irrelevant unless your a fanboy trying to prove your console is better.

Trentonater said:
Vetteman94 said:
Trentonater said:

why would they give design to xbox just because it is shiny." says biased in gay sounding voice"

Well I agree with them on design.  The PS3 slim is kinda just blah and boring,  but the new Xbox 360S really stands out.  The only console that looks nicer is the original PS3, IMO.  I think it should have been knocked more because of the external power supply, but still be a winner over the PS3 in that category

and since when was looks important in a console they should add durability 

That's true, but I think the Slim 360 has pretty much fixed the RRoD problem the old model had so I think it would just be a tie or whatever.

Around the Network
Trentonater said:
Vetteman94 said:
Trentonater said:
Vetteman94 said:
Trentonater said:
Vetteman94 said:
Trentonater said:

why would they give design to xbox just because it is shiny." says biased in gay sounding voice"

Well I agree with them on design.  The PS3 slim is kinda just blah and boring,  but the new Xbox 360S really stands out.  The only console that looks nicer is the original PS3, IMO.  I think it should have been knocked more because of the external power supply, but still be a winner over the PS3 in that category

and since when was looks important in a console they should add durability 

Well looks is part of Design and that is the category you are arguing about,  and from early reports the new Xbox 360S are pretty rock solid machines so what else do you want them to grade Design on?

it still breaks when you move it while a disk is in motion and its curved design would cause gpu damage if knocked over

Why would you move it while a game was inside playing?   And why would a console be in danger of being knocked over,  it is reccommended you lie them on their side anyway.  Problem solved

talking about toddlers running around stepping on it happened to me

lmao yeah I can vouch for this sort of thing. My fuckin dog stepped on my 360 a while ago, it didn't break it but it scratched the fuck out of my GTA4 disk.

Not a bad video. Only one score I disagree strongly with and that's in the graphics department.

Was kinda lolz worthy that 2 guys scored the graphics on the ps3 and 360 equally. But I suppose it's opinion based ultimately.

Branko2166 said:

Not a bad video. Only one score I disagree strongly with and that's in the graphics department.

Was kinda lolz worthy that 2 guys scored the graphics on the ps3 and 360 equally. But I suppose it's opinion based ultimately.

Mulitplats generally are as good or better on 360, a handful of PS3 exclusives look better than anything on the 360.  When you weigh up the difference be thankful they gave the PS3 the same score as the vast majority of titles look as good or better on the 360.

gekkokamen said:
sergiodaly said:
thranx said:
sergiodaly said:

the games round have some thin reasons for the tie!

@thranks - Blu Ray is there... it does not matter if you want it or use it... the value is there so they must give the points for it! your personal opinion and experience is irrelevant.

Just cause its theree does not mean it has value to gamers. For people who bought it to play games all it has done is increase price, not the value. It is not irrelevant, as it could be this way for many consumers. And it is especially relevant as this whole video was based off of three people opinion, not facts or anything like that, but opinion.

well i see it the other way around... the only fact is that is there and gives the machine more value (GT5 fans will back me up on this for sure), if you like or dislike, that is opinion! and value is about real thing available to us... but lets not get into a fight about it... like you say in your first post "for me at least" you don't see the value and i get that you are free to have opinions but the only thing i was pointing out is that personal opinions and experiences aren't relevant in the matter, that,  you have one and i other...

well, now that MS and Sony are really sticking to their 10-year plan or whatever, the storage capacity advantage of blu-ray becomes even more relevant. Besides who said it doesn't have value? I've playing games on my PS3 that just wouldn't be possible or the same on 1 DVD or multiple discs. Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, the list goes on and everybody not an ignorant knows this. I will be enjoying my Gran Turismo 5 in one blu-ray thank you very much. Oh, and even "lesser" multiplat games enjoy much superior less compressed and TRULY HD CG VIDEOS on the PS3 versions. Like Dante's Inferno, Final Fantasy XIII, Darksiders, that list is quite long, and I do appreciate video quality on my 70" screen not those pixelated-compressed 360 videos yuck....I guess you can't appreciate value on a crappy screen playing crappy games, but I'm nobody to judge....

Seeing as there better games graphics wise on the pc and they require no blu ray, I tend to not give it credit for graphics. They could achieve the same results by using multiple discs with installs, since all ps3's have a harddrive.

thranx said:

Fairly good video. The last round was all I would disagree with. For me atleast, I would never use a blu ray player, I mean never in my life will I own one unless they replace dvd drives on computers. I get all of my movies through dlc or streaming, I don't watch DVD either. Same can be said for 3d, I probably will not get a 3d tv untill they can do no glasses, which probably will not come around until after the ps3's life. Other than that cnet did an excellent job.

exactly my point of view. As the 2D defense force leader, I will not pick up a 3D TV anytime soon. Without glasses, sure I am coll with it, but not with glasses.

And I get all my movies from XBL in the first place

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...